T Nation

Weighted Calisthenics Power Holds

Hello CT your article about pullups today got me curious about your view on very heavy weighted dip and chin holds.

I’ve been experimenting with just strapping lots of weight and holding dips moving forward a bit and shrugging. Similarly strapping on lots of weight and holding chins, doing some scapular movement. It primes CNS and makes the full ROM weighted dips/chins afterwards really powerful.

Do you think such holds can be used (similar to your over head power holds, snatch power hold, bench holds) for muscle and strength gains?

And on dip form, Joel Seedman wrote an article recently that completely changed the way I do dips…it’s really different from any recommendations I’ve seen on line.

Basically you hinge at hips, and bring shoulders past hands (feet in front of body) then lower only as much as 45 degrees shoulder/elbow angle. And do this regardless if chest or tricep emphasis. Do you like this way of dipping? To me it feels more like a planche lean and close grip bench press vs. opening chest/scapula and flaring elbows as recommended by most coaches for “chest” dips. Thank you

[quote]-Sigil- wrote:
Hello CT your article about pullups today got me curious about your view on very heavy weighted dip and chin holds.

I’ve been experimenting with just strapping lots of weight and holding dips moving forward a bit and shrugging. Similarly strapping on lots of weight and holding chins, doing some scapular movement. It primes CNS and makes the full ROM weighted dips/chins afterwards really powerful.

Do you think such holds can be used (similar to your over head power holds, snatch power hold, bench holds) for muscle and strength gains?

And on dip form, Joel Seedman wrote an article recently that completely changed the way I do dips…it’s really different from any recommendations I’ve seen on line.

Basically you hinge at hips, and bring shoulders past hands (feet in front of body) then lower only as much as 45 degrees shoulder/elbow angle. And do this regardless if chest or tricep emphasis. Do you like this way of dipping? To me it feels more like a planche lean and close grip bench press vs. opening chest/scapula and flaring elbows as recommended by most coaches for “chest” dips. Thank you[/quote]

I like holds but to get the most out of them you would need to do them at 2 positions (top, middle, near bottom) unless you simply want to work on your weak area.

The way you describe the dip is similar to what is used by Crossfit athletes. Safer and more efficient but I’m not sure if it lead to more muscle mass.