T Nation

Weight Training For Running?

Hi, long time lurker, first post.
All the guys in the local athletics club irritate me, as if cardio ie running is the only type of fitness that counts. id love to beat them at their own game.

last time i ran for fun i had a 6.5 minute mile over 2.5 miles. now i just gym it. mainly powerlifting style, the main lifts etc.

Along with running, what type of weight training would be benifical to do this and what style eg squats or deads, high reps or low reps with heavy weight etc. ?

sensible responses please, not “what are you doing here” response.

Thanks
Conor

[quote]conor wrote:
sensible responses please, not “what are you doing here” response.[/quote]

Actually, “Why do you want to lose a bunch of muscle to prove a point… Are you 5?” is a sensible response.

Many people will not enable self-destructive behavior; and, indeed, will actively discourage it. You act as if that is a bad thing.

I imagine you would find better information on how to become a better runner using running resources as opposed to a bodybuilding site…

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
conor wrote:
sensible responses please, not “what are you doing here” response.

Actually, “Why do you want to lose a bunch of muscle to prove a point… Are you 5?” is a sensible response.

Many people will not enable self-destructive behavior; and, indeed, will actively discourage it. You act as if that is a bad thing.[/quote]

I really disagree with your post. I have always thought of running to be a very natural thing that every human should be able to do. Some silly people overdue it by running countless thousands of kilometers. But running 4 or 5 miles a week probably won’t do this. Unless of coarse your form stinks.

Lunges helped my running big time. I do lunges with an extremely long stride. Make sure you do them properly. Mike Robertson wrote a top notch article on them. Check it out.

I’m big on both running and weightlifting. I know this is a spit in the face to many people on this forum, but it seems that most people that shun cardio don’t do so due to fear of decreasing growth, or worse… losing mass (something I never have). But rather because they lack the balls to break a sweat every now and then. Nobody likes to get themselves embarrassed.

California law, why do you think i will lose a bunch of muscle by training for a 5k run now and then. If so how do you explain old heavyweight boxing training who you do a lot of “roadwork” and still clock in a 15 stone plus. Present Fedor Emilianko Pride nhb Champion runs a lot.

Typical Navy seal/buds training, along with SAS etc requires constant everyday runs. Those guys are strong and capable. Thanks Dan and Contrl

What’s more important is how old are you? when is the last time you ran? and how much do you weigh? Under 20 you can just run hard every day for a week and will be in shape again. 20 -25 you may have to take it easy the first week.

Over 25 heavy weight haven’t ran in a long time… knee tendonitis, slower recovery, 6.5 minute miles is going to be alot tougher.

Airtruth, im age 35. weigh about 175lbs if im eating right. about 9% bodyfat and the last time i ran was sprinting on the beach about 2 weeks ago. I know it doesnt count but i walk about 20 miles a week with the dogs.

Aerobically i wouldnt be too bad i do a hard out-of-breath-constantly session in the gym once a week at least, dare i mention it, 300/ crossfit style circuit training.
Body weigh deadlift x 10
20 box jumps
10 pull ups (switch to lat pulldown when knackered)
10 push ups
repeat to failure

But yeah i know, the only way to find out is to go running again.

When I did 4 oly workouts a week, with a short (10 minute) CrossFit-style conditioning circuit after the workout twice a week, and several shorter (100-200 meter) sprints before the other two workouts, I saw really good carryover to my mile time without doing any distance running.

In high school I ran mid 4:40s at 6’, 155 pounds, training nothing but distance running; after a couple months of the above program I ran 5:00 flat weighing 175, never having run more than 200 meters at a stretch, or more than 400 meters at a stretch in the past 6-8 months before that.

I went lower-rep and higher-circuit than CrossFit does in some of their circuits. E.g., instead of doing a bunch of a high-rep exercises in a row or lighter-weight exercises for 10-15 reps for time, I did max rounds in ten minutes of sets of five in the back squat or weighted chin (as opposed to repetition unweighted squats and kipping pull-ups), or 30 reps of 135-pound C+J as fast as possible–you get the idea.