T Nation

Weight Training For Capoeira

I’m studying the afro-brasilian martial art, Capoeira.

I’ve had some trouble in finding an appropriate weight training program to compliment my classes & schedule.

I train capoeira Mon & Wed for 2 hrs, + playing soccer Sun until September.

What program can I implement to improve my capoeira AND body composition while avoiding overtraining?

My diet seems to be in check (31% = 1.5/lb protein, 44% = 2.1/lb carbs, 25% = 0.5/lb fat).

Any help would be appreciated.

[quote]celica_gts_guy wrote:
I train capoeira Mon & Wed for 2 hrs, + playing soccer Sun until September.

What program can I implement to improve my capoeira AND body composition while avoiding overtraining?

My diet seems to be in check (31% = 1.5/lb protein, 44% = 2.1/lb carbs, 25% = 0.5/lb fat). [/quote]

Just so you know, if your protein intake hits 32%, you’re screwed. :wink: Just kidding. I could just never be that accurate in my macronutrient intake.

About your program, it’s going to be tricky. Any serious fat burning/weight training may cause some soreness that’ll make Capoeira less-than-fun. But with proper recovery methods (and that important protein intake), you should adapt fairly quickly.

There are (obviously) a bunch of options, I’ve always like Staley’s stuff, when it comes to blending strength training with the martial artist. Something like this older/classic routine:
http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459309
might fit the bill.

I’st a little tricky to follow, but basically, it’s 3 sessions a week, a little over an hour each (so, something like Tues., Thurs., Sat.) Each day is anchored by a big compound movement trained with strength-building parameters (something like 4x3 or 6x2) and followed up with classic EDT work.

Give the article one or two good read-throughs. Like I said, it’s a little involved, but it’s worthwhile. If that’s too much, you could always just go for:

• Tues.: Deadlift, Push Press 8x3 each
  • Thurs.: Step-up, Pull-up 6x4 each
  • Fri.: Power Clean, Flat Bench 8x3 each
  • Rely on soccer and Capoeira practice to burn calories.

Either way. (How’s that for a long and short answer!!)

Thanks for the post/response.

I guess that is a pretty accurate macronutrient intake count. It’s due to the beauty of my Excel spreadsheet :slight_smile:

I had a quick read through the Staley routine you suggested. You’re right, a little tricky to follow but the 3 sessions a week would fit my schedule. I’ll have to print it out & read it again, though the one concern I may have is doing the circuit at a busy gym (i.e. after work).

I’ll give it a try & see. If not the second routine you posted makes sense - maybe I can even bump it up to 10 sets and follow the 10x3 guidelines that I believe Chad Waterbury advocates.

I am currently doing low-rep oly lifting 3 days a week, with a couple of CV days thrown in. The one thing I’m NOT doing a lot of is high-rep stuff.

Monday
AM: Snatch, Power Clean to Push-Press, Front Squat
PM: Capoeira

Tuesday:
C+J, Snatch Pull, light back squat

Wednesday:
AM: Circuit including light front squats, pull-ups, and some pressing movement.

Friday:
AM: Snatch to overhead squat, Power Clean to Push-Jerk, back squat.

Saturday:
AM: Capoeira Acrobatics class
PM: Hill sprints. I don’t push myself too hard on these (no bucket required).

I am a week and a half into this (just finished the second Tuesday). No overtraining, plenty of PRs, plenty of gas lift for Capoeira and another week of this before a back-off week. I get lots of sleep (9+) and food, though.

Thanks for the post Ross.

You mentioned low rep - how many sets & reps are you doing for each exercise? Are you following 4x6, 5x5, 10x3?

Let me know how you progress on the program.

My diet is in check - calories & macronutrients.

The one thing I have to control is the amount of sleep I get. I have capoeira class from 8:30-10:30 and I’m wired for quite a bit & find it extremely difficult to fall asleep. Not an ideal situation when I have to wake up for work the next morning at 7:30.

By the way, what capoeira grupo do you train with?

Thanks for the post Ross.

You mentioned low rep - how many sets & reps are you doing for each exercise? Are you following 4x6, 5x5, 10x3?

Let me know how you progress on the program.

My diet is in check - calories & macronutrients.

The one thing I have to control is the amount of sleep I get. I have capoeira class from 8:30-10:30 and I’m wired for quite a bit & find it extremely difficult to fall asleep. Not an ideal situation when I have to wake up for work the next morning at 7:30.

By the way, what capoeira grupo do you train with? [/quote]

I train with Berimbau Academy of Capoeira in Santa Fe (Capoeira Angola). I’ve only been at it for about a month and a half or so.

Here is a more detailed account of my workout ‘regime’ (Mel Siff, rest in peace). All Olys are the full version (squat snatches, squat cleans) unless otherwise noted. Heavy singles are not maximal until the third and final week; heavier each week.

Monday:
Snatch: Work up to a heavy single.
Power Clean to Push-Press: Singles and triples. i.e., [1 clean followed by 1 push-press, rest, 1 lighter clean followed by 3 push-presses] Weight goes up on each set.
Heavy Front Squat: Singles and triples.

Tuesday:
C+J: 1 squat clean, two split jerks: Work up to something heavy.
Snatch Pulls: Singles and triples.
Back Squat: 10x3, going back and forth between 65 and 85% intensity.

Wednesday:
Circuit.

Thursday:
Off

Friday:
10x1 rep snatch followed by 2-4 reps of overhead squat.
Power Clean to Push-jerk: Singles and triples.
Back Squat: 54321, increasing weight on each set, working up to a heavier single each week.

Saturday:
8 Hill sprints, jog down for recovery. I don’t go for broke on these by any means.

This is a very taxing program. I have just finished the second week of it and will definitely be ready for my scheduled off-week after week #3. This past monday I equaled my previous PR in the snatch; this past tuesday I took my old PR in the squat C+J and jerked it twice. I have also equalled my old power clean and push-jerk PR and set several new power clean and push-press PRs.

Cool. I train with (soon to be re-named) Quilombo Do Queimado in Toronto (Capoeira Regional).

I’ve combined suggestions & have ben doing the below routine. It’s tough but I don’t feel wiped out. Though it has been much harder this week since we have our capoeira batizado with workshops all week! I plan to take a recovery week after next week.

After that I think I’m going to combine bodyweight exercises (eg. handstand push-ups) with weights, as well as in some core conditioning.

DAY 1
Barbell Back Squats - 10x3

A1 Dips - 4x6
A2 Dumbbell Rows - 4x6

B1 French Press - 4x6
B2 Reverse Curls - 4x6

DAY 2

Capoeira - 2 hours

DAY 3

Dumbbell Bench Press - 10x3

A1 Romanian Deadlift - 4x6
A2 Shoulder Press - 4x6

B1 Standing Calf Raises - 4x6
B2 Dumbbell Lateral Raises - 4x6

Triceps Pressdowns - 4x6

DAY 4

Capoeira - 2 hours

DAY 5

Chin-up/Pull-ups - 10x3
(varying grips on each set)

A1 Decline Dummbell Fly - 4x6
A2 Standing Hammer Curls - 4x6

B1 Seated Calf Raises or Toe Raises - 4x6
B2 Good Mornings - 4x6

Dumbbell (walking) Lunges - 4x6

DAY 6

Off

DAY 7

Soccer - approx. 45 minutes

Your plan doesn’t look too bad. What is with the walking lunge seems everyone is doing it. I would opt for a normal lunge but I would probably do the luge off of a six inch box(1).
A chin variation I would use would be side to side chinups(2)

For abs I would do the full contact twist, saxon side bend,turkish get up and the hanging leg raise. I would either do these as a circuit or use pick two of them for each workout and rotate through them (3)

(1)check out
Go to the T-Nation home page scroll down to article library on the right hand side ,on the next screen scroll down to authors Mike Robertson then find his article single leg supplements.
(2) same as above Poliquin check out his back to basics article.
(3) same Davies real abs
(4) Davies aging renegade training for info on the turkish get up

Just some suggestions you will probably find something from above that is useful . Later

Celica,

How much strength work do you do in your regional class? I’m not asking for the sake of critiquing your routine; just curious.

BTW, in the realm of bodyweight conditioning, I have found that handstand and one-arm handstand holds against a wall have brought up my shoulder strength and handbalancing ability. I haven’t been able to find any abdominal exercise tougher than progressions to the front lever.

Ross,

We don’t really do any strength work in class per say. Typically we start with a general warm up, followed by stretching.

Then its into a ginga ‘warm-up’ and then build on different sequences & exercises incorporating kicks, sweeps etc. We end off the class with a roda.

Good feedback, I will definitely have to incorporate handstand varaiations to bring up my shoulder strength and balancing.

What I’ve noticed in the past 1 1/2 weeks is pain in my knees from very tight calf muscles even with stretching. I’ve been seeing a chiropractor for ART + adding in ice massage after training to help recovery.

Ross,

We don’t really do any strength work in class per say. Typically we start with a general warm up, followed by stretching.

Then its into a ginga ‘warm-up’ and then build on different sequences & exercises incorporating kicks, sweeps etc. We end off the class with a roda.

Good feedback, I will definitely have to incorporate handstand varaiations to bring up my shoulder strength and balancing.

What I’ve noticed in the past 1 1/2 weeks is pain in my knees from very tight calf muscles even with stretching. I’ve been seeing a chiropractor for ART + adding in ice massage after training to help recovery.[/quote]

Interesting. Good luck with the calves. Sometimes tension ‘migrates’ to the calves just as appears in some people’s low backs, forearms, traps and so on as a result of overall stress. Not necessarily the case here, just something to consider.