Weight Training During Ramadan (Fasting)

Gday Gents,

Got a question i cant find answers on the net…

Im going to be fasting during the month of Ramadan (30 days) roughly 2nd October to 1st November. Its a religious thing…
anyhow will not be able to eat between the hours of 4:00am to 6:20pm roughly… that means cannot consume anything (water, food, anything…)

Im still going to be training after I can break fast bout 7pm
want to know what i can include in my diet to minimise loss of muscle.

It will be hard as i cant eat too many carbs after breaking fast cuz i normally get in bed bout 9:30, ive heard its not good eating carbs and going to sleep withing 2 hours… so obvioulsy alot of protein before sleepin
Ive heard L-glutamine is good for people dieting and still wanting to retain muscle??

any help will be appreciated.

I would think that heavy lifting, with low volume might be a good idea.

Anything that would be good for someone cutting would seem to apply here, since they’re taking in less calories too.

I don’t know about the timing of the workout though. I tend to get real hungry after my workouts, and pre/post workout nutrition is very important.

Can you make up the lost calories after 7PM and eat tons of food for a few hours before you sleep?

Maybe even set your alarm to wake you up in the middle of the night to take in some more calories. You can have whatever it is you want to eat pre-made and close to your bed so you don’t have to get fully awakened.

[quote]rtistik wrote:
Gday Gents,

Im going to be fasting during the month of Ramadan (30 days) roughly 2nd October to 1st November. Its a religious thing…
anyhow will not be able to eat between the hours of 4:00am to 6:20pm roughly… that means cannot consume anything (water, food, anything…)

Im still going to be training after I can break fast bout 7pm
want to know what i can include in my diet to minimise loss of muscle.

It will be hard as i cant eat too many carbs after breaking fast cuz i normally get in bed bout 9:30, ive heard its not good eating carbs and going to sleep withing 2 hours… so obvioulsy alot of protein before sleepin
Ive heard L-glutamine is good for people dieting and still wanting to retain muscle??

any help will be appreciated.
[/quote]

It seems like you won’t be taking in a lot of calories… I wouldn’t worry about taking in too much of anything. Just make sure you get plenty of protein.

I’d say drink some regular ol Grow! as soon as you can (6:30 or whatever). Then drink some Surge during your workout. Then drink Surge after your workout. Then eat something with protein and fruits/vegitables before bed. You’ll have to work on getting some fat in there too.

A large meal with a lot of slowly digesting protein would be ideal at around 3:59am. I don’t know what your circumstances are, but if you are able to nap a lot or even at all during the fasting period, that would help lessen the caloric deficit during the fast and give you more waking hours to eat at night. I agree with the idea for heavy weight and low volume work focused on strength and I’d suggest hitting it around 5:30 so you can gorge immediately upon completion. You might consider getting a tub of straight micellar casein for the last early morning meal since that stuff is supposed to stay in your gut quite a while.

My main suggestion though is to shift your sleep schedule if at all possible.

Sounds like the Warrior Diet! In fact the author of said diet mentioned the month-long fasting in his interview on this site, I think.

thanks for all your suggestions…
i wont be able to shift my sleeping habbits due to work obligations…

what about other supplements to help reduce muscle loss for example L-glutamine?
does this help at all?

i was hoping to take this fasting oportunity to get my abs back again, but that would mean limiting carb intake at bout 7:30pm cuz i generally wanna sleep by 9:30pm
is it ok to drink a WPI shake and hit the sack straight away?

[quote]rtistik wrote:
Gday Gents,

[/quote]

You will want to have several dates during breakfast (Iftar that is) to replemish glycogen. Other than that probably most important is to get a large serving of milk protein like grow before dawn (during Suhoor/sari) to prevent protein breakdown during the day. And you probably won’t want to do 10x10 volume training this month.

Stay in touch

I have the same concerns. Changing sleep patterns really isn’t an option, because that sort of defeats the whole point. I think I’ll just do some moderate training in the evening with low volume, not really anything to stimulate growth, just enough to help prevent atrophy (esp considering the calorie restriction). Any thoughts on this?

I think i might give SFM a shot during ramadan, and try to keep cals up by increasing fat intake (yay butter and full fat yogurt!)

hi,

i know what is ramadan…and i know it’s very hard !!

I think that, if you can’t eat during the day, it’ll not be a good thnig to workout. Don’t forget that for muscles gains, you have to eat every 3 hours and, of course, it’ll not be possible for you.

So try to just have a very “light” Workout, andprot?in meal before and after workout.

But i think it’ll be hard to keep your muscles during ramadan !!!

salam,

ive been doing the warrior diet for a while, so i never eat anything before 7 pm (except maybe a piece of fruit or a handful of peanuts and lots of water)… everyday…so ramadan should be easy for me,… as a matter of fact im planning to break my fast with water and one or two dates and then workout and then eat at 7 as always.

what i do have planned especially for ramadan however is taking micellar casein at night before sleep, so my body keeps getting in protein the whole night, thus decreasing the time of catabolism. you can also take some at su7oor time before sunrise, and youd be getting throughout the day without eating, however im not sure im gonna do that cause i dunno if thats technically cheating or not.

one tip tho, from the warrior diet: having not eaten the entire day, start first with a big salad plate (or soup) , then protein then carbs. and dont have any desserts on this first meal. one hour later (or whenever you get hungry again), have another meal and you can have your desserts then… try to get in as much food as you can at night, but restricting most carbs to the first meal.

and like i said, dont forget the micellar protein (Low-Carb Grow!) before you sleep.

oh and start your workout one hour before sunset, so that you can go home and eat right away. some people however like to wait one hour after working out, before eating, so as not to stop the body’s release of growth hormones after the workout.

salam :slight_smile:

working out during ramadan, is not too bad…I start off with a good breakfast, eggs, toast, oats with chopped up dates and a protein shake. i conserve my energy all day and workout 1hour before i break my fast, or half an hour after (depends on what i break my fast with). my workout lasts about 40 mins or less.

squats
pull ups
dips
glute ham raises.

i stay away from cardio for the month as running seems to burn up the most energy.

the problem with fasting is that the stomach shrinks as the month progresses and you find that you eat less and less, forcing yourself to eat in the morning is the hardest thing, have a shake before going to bed.
Most people use the excuse of fasting to let thier nutrition go to hell,
Lots off people i know break thier fast with all sorts of sweets and greasy/fatty foods!

keep working out, just reduces the weights/reps/sets, look at it like a maintnace phase or a detox :slight_smile:

hope this info helps

salam

[quote]Aleksandr wrote:
I have the same concerns. Changing sleep patterns really isn’t an option, because that sort of defeats the whole point. I think I’ll just do some moderate training in the evening with low volume, not really anything to stimulate growth, just enough to help prevent atrophy (esp considering the calorie restriction). Any thoughts on this?[/quote]

thats right bro, the point of fasting is to carry out your normal obligations, religious and otherwise alongside your fasting, I know a few guys heavily into power lifting, they stop training all together for the month and concentrate or more religious aspects of life, to them taking any form of supplent while fasting defeats the whole purpose because you are artifically supplementing your diet with MRPs.
i am not sure what hadith or sharia have to say on this subject, if you guys have any ideas i would be good to know (not hijacking your thread) :wink:

[quote]rtistik wrote:
what about other supplements to help reduce muscle loss for example L-glutamine?
does this help at all?[/quote]

Glutamine wouldn’t help unless you could consume it during the fasting period.

While I do not suggest that you creatine, due to the daily water restriction, I would use it if I were you (note the subtle difference).

Cheers

[quote]silencer wrote:
oh and start your workout one hour before sunset, so that you can go home and eat right away. some people however like to wait one hour after working out, before eating, so as not to stop the body’s release of growth hormones after the workout.[/quote]

I would definately not go to the gym before eating and drinking. Hypoglycemia and dehydration aren’t that great when paired with heavy lifting (so I hear). The growth hormone thing sounds a bit sketchy to me, didn’t an article mention how bad an idea this is?

[quote]Aleksandr wrote:
silencer wrote:
oh and start your workout one hour before sunset, so that you can go home and eat right away. some people however like to wait one hour after working out, before eating, so as not to stop the body’s release of growth hormones after the workout.

I would definately not go to the gym before eating and drinking. Hypoglycemia and dehydration aren’t that great when paired with heavy lifting (so I hear). The growth hormone thing sounds a bit sketchy to me, didn’t an article mention how bad an idea this is?[/quote]

ive been doing it for more than 5 months. no problems. except i would have had water at sometime in the day… i tihnk ill still try it in ramadan, i should be able to handle it inshalla. if not, religion is much more important to me than one month of exercise so im willing to take a break…hopefully i wont need to tho.

I admire the dedication. I had a religous friend who does the same. Beyond lifting, I just don’t understand how you can function throughout the day, day in day out, without food. I guess the body gets used to anything. Good luck!

[quote]jsbrook wrote:
I admire the dedication. I had a religous friend who does the same. Beyond lifting, I just don’t understand how you can function throughout the day, day in day out, without food. I guess the body gets used to anything. Good luck![/quote]

No doubt. I’ve seen it with someone at work.

A quote from the “Eat It” article (darn hard to search for because of the simple title)…

“Religious and Social
Here’s a statement you might have made in the past: “Sorry dude, I’m not allowed to eat that right now.” An example might be Ramadan or Passover or something like Kosher restrictions. These are serious situations and call for some creative thinking. Ramadan is perhaps most extreme. If you can?t have food or drink for extended periods, maybe it’s a good time to focus on fat loss - even if fasting does crush one’s basal metabolic rate (BMR). At least fat-protective insulin concentrations in the blood are minimized and one’s “fuel mix” (RER) shifts toward fat usage. Compensating for that slowed BMR can take the form of extra effort in doing lower intensity non-exercise physical activities (walking, chores, etc.) or for some, even limited resistance training to preserve muscle mass. Caution is called for, to prevent worsening any fasting-induced dehydration.”

I realize it’s not much but any input helps.

Good luck.