T Nation

Weight Training and Stunted Growth

I know this seems like a dumb question, and it probably is, but I would like some confirmation that weight training cannot stunt your growth. If someone could point me to any specific data (spinal compressive forces etc.) that support this that would be great. I’ve read a couple places that it can’t stunt growth, but I just want to be 100% sure.

www.exrx.net/WeightTraining/Weightlifting/YouthMisconceptions.html

it can. i was supposed to be 6’2, but because i lifted weights, i’m only 5’10.

lol, how would you KNOW your growth was stunted?

rediculous.

If I remember correctly I think there is something like 5 or 6 documents related growth plate fracture on younger kids and weight training, and apprently none were exactly convincing…

Rippetoe’s SS book has a very intersting article in it with a table showing the injury rates for sports, with soccer being by far the highest, and supervised weight training being very low somewhere on the list…

It also outlines the fact that most people(in this case, gym class teachers and kids looking at incorrect technique on the interenet and such) simply don’t know how to effectively and safely train with weights and poor instructon and poorer techinique are the culprits for this myth