T Nation

Weight Training and Diet for MMA?

I was a black belt at 16, now 21 years old and (until the V-Diet) in the absolute worst shape of my life. I am now leaner and more muscular than I was even back then, and very recently ran into one of my old trainers who has me all but convinced to come back and train and his gym.

I have been wanting to do this for a long time, and feel it is time to go headfirst. The only thing is it IS quite physically taxing(obviously), and my schedule will look something like this:
Monday : training 6:30-9:30
Tuesday : 6:30 - 9:30
Wednesday: 7:30-9:30
Thursday: 6:30-9:00
Friday: OFF
Saturday: Open Mat if desired
Sunday: OFF

I apologize for coming off as a complete newbie here(but I am one! To calculated fitness especially) but what would you suggest diet wise and lifting wise? I want to stay as lean as possible, and put on some clean mass.

staying lean and putting on mass is next to impossible, especially if you intend on doing the amount of sparring + weight training you are suggesting.

however, a good option for both cutting and bulking is carb cycling. http://www.elitefts.com/documents/carb_cycling_mma.htm is a great article and outlines the basics.

lifting wise, people have varied opinions around here, some say not to lift, some say do it in moderation, others are big fans of heavy lifting. I personally have 2 heavy lifting sessions a week. All compound movements as well as ring work. Deadlifts, squats, push press, cleans and chins are my main focus. All heavy sets of 3-5 reps. No doubt somebody will disagree with this, however this has worked well for me personally.

and also, what did you have a black belt in when you were 16?

Just like darraghoconaill said to try to stay lean and put on size is next to impossible especially with the sparring. The question is why do you want to get bigger? To go up in a weight class? If that’s the case then you may have to have times when you focus on adding size. If you do not need to put on weight/size so rapidly then add calories and train.

Some size will come but obviously your skills and strength will improve. The carb cycling article is excellent and it works. I like training mostly with kettlebells and clubbells as well as some barbell work and bodyweight drills. Using KB’s and CB’s you can get really strong, stay lean and because of their design you can train the muscles in all six planes of movement. Compound barbell movements are excellent for overall size and strength. Does the facility you will be training at have KB’s and CB’s?