Weight Targets: Squat/Bench/Dead?

Guys im currently weighing 20.7 stone (290 pounds)… was wondering wat should be my targets to hit in the bench, dead and squat. i also play rugby at a decent level… so i have to do cardio etc… and be generally able to run for 80 mins solid.

at moment:
Squat is 180 kilos
dead is 185 kilos
bench is 100 kilos

so taking this all into account wat should i be aiming for?

I like the 300/400/500lb numbers for bench/squat/deadlift for athletes. I guess thats 136/181/227 in kilos. So all in all, you are right there with the squats and have a bit of work to do in the other big lifts.

sb

i always thought squat and deadlift wud be similiar as they kinda have the same core movement… using a new grip i hope to add to my dead lift neway.

for bench i usually do dumbells then move onto the bar… i also do direct tricep workouts and flys… is there nething else i can do to add to the bench? playing prop i think i need to exceed all those figures…

props take all the weight of 16 big men pushing against each other.

however the best props in the world “carl hayman” only box squats 220kg three times. and he plays tight head prop which means he is the stronger of the two…

but then again andrew sheridan who is english, bench presses 220 kg 3 times and he wouldnt be seen as one of the best in the world…

anyone who has expierence in playing in the forwards in rugby?

[quote]mopar_nocar wrote:
I like the 300/400/500lb numbers for bench/squat/deadlift for athletes. I guess thats 136/181/227 in kilos. So all in all, you are right there with the squats and have a bit of work to do in the other big lifts.

sb[/quote]

3-4-5 ain’t much for a dude that weighs 290. I’d say double bodyweight squat for 3 reps, 1.5 bodyweight bench for 3, and probably a pull about 50 lbs heavier than your squat would make you ‘strong’. (Double your bodyweight in pounds that is). But don’t stop when you get there.

i dont plan too… but then again i gotta keep doing cardio… i usually get really strong in june july of off season and then fitness starts in august september and i lose a lot so overall i gain only a little bit of strength over 4 months… been considering jacking this seasons rugby in… adding in 2 extra weights sessions a week and then coming back to fitness and rugby in august? any thoughts…

[quote]Ramo wrote:
mopar_nocar wrote:

sb

3-4-5 ain’t much for a dude that weighs 290. I’d say double bodyweight squat for 3 reps, 1.5 bodyweight bench for 3, and probably a pull about 50 lbs heavier than your squat would make you ‘strong’. (Double your bodyweight in pounds that is). But don’t stop when you get there. [/quote]

double bw in pounds is the same as double bw in kilo. . . haha
anyway

the 3/4/5 thing is for your average 200lb athlete and is not applicable to heavier or even some lighter athletes. .

as bodyweight increases it is harder to reach these double bw squats and deads and 1.5 benches. . his bench is .7 bodyweight that is too far away from 1.5 to reach anytime soon and he should concentrate on getting bodyweight benching out of the way first and not setting goals too high for himself. . .

in saying that if his bf % is high and his lifts arent matching his strength:bodyweight ratio maybe comparing to bodyweight isnt the way forward. . .i bet comparing them to his lean bodyweight would result in more impressive numbers or maybe getting a bit leaner and the comparisons would be more relevant . .

left that for a while didnt see the last post. . .

how many times a week you do your rugby training?

i do 5 cardio/ high intensity interval sessions a week between boxing and taekwondo and i have no problem lifting heavy annd gaining strength all the time. . .dont think thats the problem . . .get ur nutrition in order and post workout recovery and ur set . . a few cardio/fitness sessions wont hurt

well i feel better now…not as weak as i thought lol… looking good with dead lifts though :smiley:

train monday fitness, tusday team run, wednesday match,thursday light session, friday team run, saturday match… sunday nothing.

well im 6ft, 29 inch legs, 40 inch waist, 32 inch long leg, 16 inch bicep and 50 inch chest… these measurements are all taken with a tightly held tape measure so some of them displace fat etc

i dont no if u can work out my bf from these figures? id defo say im in the high range.

If you want to know your bf useing tape. You’ll need your height, weight, Waist size(around the belly button) and neck size. Then you got to do some math but Im not sure how it works. Thats how they do it in the Army. Im sure some one here knows how to do the math.

according to this your bodyfat % is about 17% lean bodyweight 240.2lbs and fat mass 49.8lbs

you dont necessarily need neck measurements there’s calculations for just waist and weight. . waist weight legs etc just like there is 3 site 7 site 9 site skinfolds. . . its not going to be as accurate with less measurements but its a rough idea. . . obviously you cant turn around and quote bodymass to strength ratio’s using this lean body mass but it just puts it into perspective about your lifts for your own peice of mind.
on the cardio thing. . it is quite a bit. . .
fake sore ankle or something that magically happens to fall on days of strenuous fitness work haha

well i need the fitness… its a hard balancing act at the moment… im in uni 9-5 most days… then im aiming to get in at least three weights sessions a week… 2 matchs… and 4 rugby sessions… and im the PR manager of a club in glasgow which means a lot of late nights… this all leaves me knackered and with fuck all time.

i also am having trouble working out when to do legs… i do them sunday but then have fitness on monday and they feel like bricks instead of muscles… but then if i move it further down the week i am putting matches into jeapordy. hench im thinking of jacking in at least one of the teams i play for… i play uni matchs on a wed and club on a sat… then id have more recovery and therefore be able to hit more in the gym… its all about balancing.

was proud of myself today… i recently got a promotion to PR manager of a club in glasgow and last night was my first night, i go royally pissed and went to bed at 7, got up at 9 and still went to the gym, just dragged myself there and sat on a bench feeing terrible, did a few light shoulder sets and then my body started switching on. was great! no match today aswell … SCORE.

i hope you went home to bed after the session! ha. . .yea well if u stopped playing for one team or alternated which one your playing for each week or something could help. . .
thing is doin that much fitness work isnt neccessarily gonna help its like doing chest 5x week its eventually going to be counterproductive and you wont put 100% in each fitness session. . .
try explaining to the coach that training with the two teams is getting too much and even play matches for both teams and have a session off from one of the teams one day/week. .

legs . . well when i have trouble training them i either throw them in 2/3 times a week concentrating on one exercise each time (ie squat or DL or RDL or unilateral work) and do whole body sessions. . . that way im not completely frying the muscle group once a week but rather hitting it 3x week so not doin as much volume. . i train my legs (strange as it may seem) on the mornings before taekwondo training that evening because the DOMS hasnt set in yet and most of the strength is still there and they are easier to get warm for the session. . . pay for it next day but at least u get them done. . .

just out of interest, what would some of you guys consider a good dl for a 160 pound 16 year old male using 25 pound plates?

[quote]hotdog.350 wrote:
just out of interest, what would some of you guys consider a good dl for a 160 pound 16 year old male using 25 pound plates?[/quote]

~2.5x BW

sweet should be there in a month

[quote]stuward wrote:

[/quote]

I have mixed feelings about that table. I’ll be in the advanced section as a junior in highschool after like 2 years of lifting. That isn’t “advanced” by any means.

For you, some good immediate goals would be

Bodyweight Bench Press
1.5X Bodyweight Squat
1.5X Bodyweight Deadlift

Whatever combination of Fat Loss and Strength Gain yields those results will be pretty good.
Once you achieve that (certainly possible by the end of this year, maybe this summer) I think the next thing to shoot for would be

1.25X - 1.5X Bodyweight Bench Press
1.5X - 2X Bodyweight Squat
2X Bodyweight Deadlift

If you can run for 80 minutes at a bodyweight of 290, I’m exceedingly impressed. You probably have a fair amount of fat that you could afford to lose and still be big enough to play Rugby. Some weight loss would also make your current lifts more impressive. If you cleaned up your diet and ate more frequently, maybe you could go down to 240 and be stronger than you are now.

also, your lifts are only as good as there weakest links. find it and fix it.