T Nation

Weight - Stop Increasing Calories?

My goal weight is about 205-210 8-10% body fat, which I know on here isn’t much. I am well on my way, now weighing in at 198 lbs but I not seeing many results other than the scale. I know I am getting bigger but my muscles look the same and it kind of looks like I may just be gaining a bit of fat.

My question is, should I just stop increasing my calories while bulking and wait a while for my muscles to catch up to fat gain or is this somewhat normal? By this I mean should I make sure I am not eating to heavily, I swear I am only eating 500 calories above my maintenance.

I do CW total body training 3 days a week and follow bernardi’s P+F P+C formula, with a p+F+C meal to start my day. Also I am definitely seeing lagging chest development.

There is two thresh holds, one for gaining fat and one for gaining muscle. It is common for the thresh hold for gaining muscle to be higher than that for gaining fat. In fact it takes quite a bit of diet management to cut and gain LBM.

It is quite possible that you aren’t in enough of a calorie surplus, or that the fat gains are hiding any real progress.

A detailed diet log might be helpful here. I am no expert, but I believe you might be making your gains and just not noticing them. You see yourself in the mirror everyday and small changes are not easily noticeable. Is your % body fat changing?

Are your lifts going up?

-Cloth

Um, post a detailed account of your training. If you are gaining fat and not muscle, your training is lacking intensity and structure and/or the quality of your diet is lacking. If you’re gaining both but too much fat, just scale back calories a little.

Hard to say based on the internet, but if you’re reasonably lean, you should probably continue gaining to meet your goals.

Yes My lifts are going up.

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=508031

This link will give you my workout I am currently on week #7

This is my current diet for training days,

Upon waking I have 3 BCAA capsules

Meal 1
4 whole scrambled eggs, 1/2 cup green peppers, 3 strips bacon, 2 slices whole wheat bread with smart balance butter that has flaxoil in it
Cal:743 Fat:44 Carb:40 Pro:45

After this meal I have a multivitamin and a fish oil capsule

Meal 2
8oz. Strip Steak + Mixed Nuts
Cal:390 F:23 C:7 P:40

Another fish oil capsule post meal

Meal 3
(8oz.) Chicken Caesar Salad
Cal: 450 F: 29.5 C:1.5 P:45.5

Meal 4 (Pre)
Body Fortress Shake (Poor Mans Surge made with milk). Also contains BCAAs
Cal:500 F:1.5 C: 65 P:31

Meal 5 (Immediately Post)
Surge
Cal: 340 F:2.4 C:46 P:25

Meal 6 (1 hour post)
Monster Shake (Grow!, yogurt, dry oats, banana, milk)
Cal:925 F:10.5 C:121 P:67

Meal 7
Sandwich, 16 oz. chocolate milk
Cal: 560 F:6 C:74 P: 48.5

Fish Oil Capsule Post

I take 3 more BCAAs before bed

This is my grand total
Grand Total
Cal: 3908 F:116.9 C:354.5 P:302

It is the same on non training days but I reverse the order, dont eat the peppers or toast in my meal #1, which actually becomes number 7, I also have one protein shake and cut out the other two sometimes replacing them with other food but not always.

My Plan is to continue what I do with my diet, because it is a bit high, but for a 206 pound guy that is perfect for bulking (500 calories over maintenance). I figure if I leave everything alone my body will eventually change the way I want it to. I am guessing the fat is only a phase?

Should I maybe just add a bit of cardio, like some sprints or something?

Sorry for the crazy triple post. There are progress pictures of me here

[quote]T-man21 wrote:
My goal weight is about 205-210 8-10% body fat, which I know on here isn’t much. I am well on my way, now weighing in at 198 lbs but I not seeing many results other than the scale. I know I am getting bigger but my muscles look the same and it kind of looks like I may just be gaining a bit of fat.

My question is, should I just stop increasing my calories while bulking and wait a while for my muscles to catch up to fat gain or is this somewhat normal? By this I mean should I make sure I am not eating to heavily, I swear I am only eating 500 calories above my maintenance.

I do CW total body training 3 days a week and follow bernardi’s P+F P+C formula, with a p+F+C meal to start my day. Also I am definitely seeing lagging chest development. [/quote]

Of course you should vary the calories. Your not a mindless automaton. Knowing your body and adjusting for situations is the cornerstone of a successful bodybuilder. Also, I would increase your protein and lower the carbs. Or better yet, cycle the carbs.

Try adding 5 minutes of HIIT cardio after your workout.
Also cut the 16oz of chocolate milk in your last meal replace it with some more protein or make it a P+F meal…

ShadoW

In your pictures, you look pretty decent. I’d say that’s probably about an average to good level of bodyfat for someone who is bulking. I wouldn’t worry too much about it.

[quote]T-man21 wrote:
Sorry for the crazy triple post. There are progress pictures of me here

Well… You don’t look fat. At all. You’re just paranoid. Keep doing what you’re doing.

Plus, you can’t expect anything in a few weeks. Often, you won’t gain anything for a few weeks. Then you’ll gain several pounds in just a week or two. The point is you have to keep your body primed for gaining muscle.

[quote]shadowmoses wrote:
Try adding 5 minutes of HIIT cardio after your workout.
Also cut the 16oz of chocolate milk in your last meal replace it with some more protein or make it a P+F meal…

ShadoW[/quote]

Why? The OP is clearly not fat or even close to fat. Why would you tell him to change things around?

To California Law,

Good Call.