Weight Room Morale Issues

[quote]tom63 wrote:

[quote]CSEagles1694 wrote:

[quote]sufiandy wrote:
Didn’t you post a few months ago about some back injury? What kind of lifts are you doing where 20 reps with a 100lb dumbell isn’t heavy enough?[/quote]

Kroc Rows. [/quote]
You can’t be doing them right. I’m at around 600 in the deadlift and I’d use that much. Don’t worry about Kroc rows until you’re stronger .[/quote]

Yep and if it was 100x20 try using strict form and a full ROM, would be surprised if the OP could get 10 doing that.

[quote]sufiandy wrote:

[quote]tom63 wrote:

[quote]CSEagles1694 wrote:

[quote]sufiandy wrote:
Didn’t you post a few months ago about some back injury? What kind of lifts are you doing where 20 reps with a 100lb dumbell isn’t heavy enough?[/quote]

Kroc Rows. [/quote]
You can’t be doing them right. I’m at around 600 in the deadlift and I’d use that much. Don’t worry about Kroc rows until you’re stronger .[/quote]

Yep and if it was 100x20 try using strict form and a full ROM, would be surprised if the OP could get 10 doing that.[/quote]
I would have a difficult time doing 155 x 6 with good , but not super strict form.

I use straps.

BigSkwatta had an awesome point - if you can use the coach’s workouts as your recovery or deload, or as the accessory work in a “5/3/1 Boring but Big” program. And if there’s a regular test day, crush it then.

If you keep at it despite the atmosphere, a select few will come around and wonder how you’re making such progress. The ones that try to bring you down will be the guys that are still wearing their high school football jackets 10 years from now.

If your coach has any control over your playing time, don’t rock the boat - just agree with him. It’s not worth the satisfaction to be right if it means that scouts never see you. I learned that from experience, I hated my coach and butted heads with him constantly. Consequently, I got stuck on the O-line - which wouldn’t be a big deal, but I was 5’10" and 180 pounds. Not much future there, no matter how good my technique was.

I can’t believe that a coach with that kind of background is putting you guys on such a shitty program… What’s the reason for that?

what the heck is a GHR? i guess i sure dont have one

[quote]Carbine wrote:
BigSkwatta had an awesome point - if you can use the coach’s workouts as your recovery or deload, or as the accessory work in a “5/3/1 Boring but Big” program. And if there’s a regular test day, crush it then.

If you keep at it despite the atmosphere, a select few will come around and wonder how you’re making such progress. The ones that try to bring you down will be the guys that are still wearing their high school football jackets 10 years from now.

If your coach has any control over your playing time, don’t rock the boat - just agree with him. It’s not worth the satisfaction to be right if it means that scouts never see you. I learned that from experience, I hated my coach and butted heads with him constantly. Consequently, I got stuck on the O-line - which wouldn’t be a big deal, but I was 5’10" and 180 pounds. Not much future there, no matter how good my technique was.

I can’t believe that a coach with that kind of background is putting you guys on such a shitty program… What’s the reason for that?[/quote]

Well thanks for yours and BigSkwatta’s suggestions. As far as playing time goes, he sort of does, but not so much. He’s not my position coach, but he’s the defensive coordinator.

As for why we’re on such a shitty program, the reason is beyond me.

Luke

As for your program , you gave to take it with a grain of salt. This is high school. Their attitude is at least we’re doing something. Teaching 30 some high school kids is a big task and is very time consuming. I’m sure the coaches think a little of something is better than nothing.

My son’s school uses a modified hit program with high hex bar deadlifts . They use chains to seem cool in his opinion. They emphasize the negative. He on the other hand did 5 3 1 and is now getting coaching from Josh Bryant.

I would sandbag at school and get two other workouts done at home. Or maybe do three light sets of ten and then sneak in fives. As for squatting and benching, I would do it that way back in the day. My thought was we bench after squatting in meets so I should train to get used to it.

[quote]wittleguy wrote:
what the heck is a GHR? i guess i sure dont have one[/quote]

Glute-Ham Raise

[quote]tom63 wrote:
As for your program , you gave to take it with a grain of salt. This is high school. Their attitude is at least we’re doing something. Teaching 30 some high school kids is a big task and is very time consuming. I’m sure the coaches think a little of something is better than nothing.

My son’s school uses a modified hit program with high hex bar deadlifts . They use chains to seem cool in his opinion. They emphasize the negative. He on the other hand did 5 3 1 and is now getting coaching from Josh Bryant.

I would sandbag at school and get two other workouts done at home. Or maybe do three light sets of ten and then sneak in fives. As for squatting and benching, I would do it that way back in the day. My thought was we bench after squatting in meets so I should train to get used to it. [/quote]

I ran 5/3/1 last year and got scary strong with it. I’m running it again.

-CS
I would kill it with speed work. As far as your coach goes, he may seem experienced but maybe you can get by with some different stuff. Maybe you can sneak in some bands to try and change it up and say that they don’t add too much weight or something.

Other than that, definitely try and work on speed. Max strength is important, but in football you can really take advantage of being explosive in different %max ranges.

Last thing I might try would be to get in when no one is lifting if possible. I had a buddy in high school that would just crawl into the window at night to lift more. Try and be nice to the janitor or something. Best of luck to you though.

Lots of good advice here. Smart dudes.

One more note I didn’t see anyone else mention. If someone told me to do my DLs “fast off the floor” I’d probably look at them with a fuck you look too. Maybe even step aside and ask them demonstrate their superior technique.

DLs are squeezed out. They aren’t supposed to be explosive like an olympic lift. If they’re quick, add 50 more pounds to the bar and try that shit again. You’ll know when you’re doing them right when you turn purple and faint between reps.

And another thing. A little humility might be in order. Some guys are born strong. Some maybe a hell of a lot stronger than you and some a hell of a lot weaker. Don’t be a dick and talk about that lineman who can’t do what you did in the 8th grade. If you can help him, help him. If he turns away, leave him alone. Maybe he’s stupid or maybe it’s because you’re coming across like Mr. Know-it-all.

Best of luck to you man.

[quote]ironmike7707 wrote:
One more note I didn’t see anyone else mention. If someone told me to do my DLs “fast off the floor” I’d probably look at them with a fuck you look too. Maybe even step aside and ask them demonstrate their superior technique.

DLs are squeezed out, they aren’t supposed to be explosive like an olympic lift. If they’re quick, add 50 more pounds to the bar and try that shit again. YOu know when you’re doing them right when you turn purple and faint between reps.
[/quote]

Maybe no one said anything about fast off the floor because proper technique IS explosive?

How do you train for blasting through the lockout on deadlift? The pro’s seem to do it by doing deadlifts explosively

A max effort DL will appear slow even if your attempting to lift it explosive. But if your good at deadlifting most of your lifts won’t be max effort and therefore faster and explosive if your doing it right.

[quote]sufiandy wrote:
A max effort DL will appear slow even if your attempting to lift it explosive. But if your good at deadlifting most of your lifts won’t be max effort and therefore faster and explosive if your doing it right.[/quote]

This is true, but since they are apparently pulling 3x10 (unless I missed somethin, if so, my bad), I would expect them to be pulling explosively.

Doing reps of deadlift can be very beneficial, as long as you arent bouncing the weight every time, resetting your form, etc.

[quote]DixiesFinest wrote:

I wish this were true. They bounce it on every rep and insist on using straps as well.

Luke

There’s nothing wrong with touch and go deadlifts .

[quote]tom63 wrote:
There’s nothing wrong with touch and go deadlifts .[/quote]

or straps

I use straps exclusively unless I’m doing singles.

built uou rown gymm with used equipment is not that expensive