Weight Progression?

Is a 10lb a month increase on the basic lifts a realistic and sustainable progression rate for most lifters?

How much weight do you add a month?

Deads, Squats, Bench.

I was going to ask this question too. I’m wondering about other lifts too. Like barbell curls, etc.

Lets assume we’re talking about novice/beginners, because an advanced lifter probably already knows the answer to this and I know that progress slows down with time.

[quote]Digity wrote:
I was going to ask this question too. I’m wondering about other lifts too. Like barbell curls, etc.

Lets assume we’re talking about novice/beginners, because an advanced lifter probably already knows the answer to this and I know that progress slows down with time.[/quote]

First two years of training.

I’m doing Rippetoe’s right now and my squat has gone from 225 to 245, bench from 205-215, Deadlift from 245-260 and that has been one week, and these are for reps not max. I know this will slow down soon.

[quote]LiftSmart wrote:
Is a 10lb a month increase on the basic lifts a realistic and sustainable progression rate for most lifters?

How much weight do you add a month?

Deads, Squats, Bench.[/quote]

For someone just starting out or just starting serious progressive training sure, and maybe more. Don’t let anyone try to limit your thinking about what is possible and what’s the norm, strive for progression the best you can each time you are in the gym and you’ll be on the right track.