T Nation

Weight Plateau

Just a quick question for anyone who has a bit of knowledge. Recently my appetite has stalled, I think I got heat stroke after some particularly heavy exercise in the baking hot sun and I haven’t been eating as well for a while now.

My weight has stayed the same (73kg) for a month or so now and I put this down to not eating enough, but my question is, what is happening to my body (muscle development or fat loss wise) if I train exactly the same but don’t consume extra calories and stay the same weight?

I hope this will pass soon, but I don’t want my hard work in the gym to go to waste.

I ask this because there is a lot of info on this site about gaining or losing weight, but I can’t find anything on maintaining and still training.

You COULD be gaining muscle and losing fat at the same time, a little, but you’ll definitely make a lot more progress if you just force yourself to eat more and actually gain weight.

Making sure that you’re adequately hydrated may help. A little low-intensity cardio on an empty stomach first thing in the morning may stimulate your appetite as well.

Continued weight training will help make sure that you at least don’t lose muscle.

Just a side question that could be relevant, I’ve seen a few formulas for how many calories to eat daily, probably the highest one is Body mass in pounds x 25.

I’m wondering if eating way over and above the number this formula gives is pointless, or if it would lead to crazily fast muscle gain? Sorry for stealing the show, I just thought it may be relevant.

[quote]The Goose. wrote:
Just a side question that could be relevant, I’ve seen a few formulas for how many calories to eat daily, probably the highest one is Body mass in pounds x 25.

I’m wondering if eating way over and above the number this formula gives is pointless, or if it would lead to crazily fast muscle gain? Sorry for stealing the show, I just thought it may be relevant.[/quote]

TOTALLY depends on the person. That formula is just a guideline, not gonna be perfect for you. Eat more, see how YOUR body reacts. If you’re mostly putting on muscle, awesome. If you’re putting on a ton of fat, eat less.