T Nation

Weight Pills Worth It?

Hello all;

In the last year i have been bulking up quite a bit but i have also put on some chub. In the last 3 weeks i have been going for a 30 intense run every morning before my first meal, i also been eating smart, with small meals every 3 hours consisting of healthy foods.

I’ve manage to slim down quite a bit, but i have also lost some size.

My Main question here is would you recommend taking some type of diet pills, and if so which type. I have seen Fat-Blockers, Carb-Blockers and then the diet pills which increase you metabolism.

My concern here is the side-effect, after getting off the pills would i gain the weight back, would my metabolism be messed up?
At the moment i am at about 12% body-fat and would like to cut it to about 9-10%.

Would just sticking to my running/diet routine now be a safer and more permanent bet? or would the pills be a faster road with the same end results?

Thank you Very much.

The best carb and fat blocker is your lips – don’t eat the food if you don’t want the carbs, fat, or calories.

you don’t need fat pills.

in my experience they don’t do any more than a strict diet and excercise anyways, and usually require both for results. (hmmm)

you’ll lose some muscle if you are increasing your caloric expenditure and decreasing your intake.

try substituting some of your carb calories with protein and see what that does for you rather than just cutting calories out.

I know i will eventually lose the wieght i want to, i was just wondering that if i used pills for some extra help to speed it up, if in the end the when i jump off the pills, if the weight would stay off and my body would be healthy.

[quote]Drozes wrote:
I know i will eventually lose the wieght i want to, i was just wondering that if i used pills for some extra help to speed it up, if in the end the when i jump off the pills, if the weight would stay off and my body would be healthy.[/quote]

No shit proper diet and exercise are most important.
I love fat burners and they do help a lot. Coffee works great too and ephedra can help burn fat and keep appetite under control. I’d take them right when you get up and do 45 min of light cardo. If my cardo is to intense I lose muscle like crazy. I’m not talking about HIIT since I don’t have as much experience with that, I mean non stop cardio with a bpm above 70% your max bpm. You ever see videos of Jay Cutler and Ronnie Colman doing cardio? Their not running or doing intense cardio.

[quote]Drozes wrote:
I know i will eventually lose the wieght i want to, i was just wondering that if i used pills for some extra help to speed it up, if in the end the when i jump off the pills, if the weight would stay off and my body would be healthy.[/quote]

Get your diet and exercise progam completely dialed in first. Once you reach this point there’s nothing wrong with adding Hot-Rox to your program to speed your results.

As long as you eat properly and continue to train, you shouldn’t have a problem keeping the fat off. You’ll re-gain it if you resume the eating habits that caused you to put it on in the first place though.

[quote]Mod Brian wrote:
Drozes wrote:
I know i will eventually lose the wieght i want to, i was just wondering that if i used pills for some extra help to speed it up, if in the end the when i jump off the pills, if the weight would stay off and my body would be healthy.

Get your diet and exercise progam completely dialed in first. Once you reach this point there’s nothing wrong with adding HOT-ROX to your program to speed your results.

As long as you eat properly and continue to train, you shouldn’t have a problem keeping the fat off. You’ll re-gain it if you resume the eating habits that caused you to put it on in the first place though.[/quote]

diet pills, largely successful due to stimulant effects, do increase metabolic rates above there natural resting state which results in an increase in spent calories though right?

that is how they work?

isn’t it likely that if training remains the same and the metabolic rate returns to normal after discontinuing use some of the weight would come back?

Sometimes adding cardo to my lifting routine doesn’t do anything but sometimes it does. I try to get in and out of the gym in 45min so my test levels don’t drop to low, so I understand why I someone wouldn’t want to do a cardio warmup. Although it takes me 10 min to walk to my gym. I also go threw “lazy phases” and energetic phases but most of the time my workouts are intense with or without stims.

[quote]Hagar wrote:
Sometimes adding cardo to my lifting routine doesn’t do anything but sometimes it does. I try to get in and out of the gym in 45min so my test levels don’t drop to low, so I understand why I someone wouldn’t want to do a cardio warmup. Although it takes me 10 min to walk to my gym. I also go threw “lazy phases” and energetic phases but most of the time my workouts are intense with or without stims.[/quote]

yeah, i use stimulants some times, but usually do not and my work outs really don’t suffer much. people have become too reliant on a quick fix i think. the human body is capable of doing quite a bit on it’s own.

[quote]texasguy wrote:diet pills, largely successful due to stimulant effects, do increase metabolic rates above there natural resting state which results in an increase in spent calories though right?

that is how they work?

isn’t it likely that if training remains the same and the metabolic rate returns to normal after discontinuing use some of the weight would come back?[/quote]

“Diet Pills” is an awefully large catagory so it would be a mistake to generalize that they all work the same way and to the same extent. I specifcally dicussed Hot-Rox in my previous post.

The key ingredient in Hot-Rox is A7-E. You can read more about this and the other active ingredients in Hot-Rox in the product thread.

You can gain fat any time you consume more calories than you burn. Your statement is akin to saying that one shouldn’t bother dieting since any weight lost would be gained back with resumption of normal eating habits.

[quote]texasguy wrote:
Hagar wrote:
Sometimes adding cardo to my lifting routine doesn’t do anything but sometimes it does. I try to get in and out of the gym in 45min so my test levels don’t drop to low, so I understand why I someone wouldn’t want to do a cardio warmup. Although it takes me 10 min to walk to my gym. I also go threw “lazy phases” and energetic phases but most of the time my workouts are intense with or without stims.

yeah, i use stimulants some times, but usually do not and my work outs really don’t suffer much. people have become too reliant on a quick fix i think. the human body is capable of doing quite a bit on it’s own. [/quote]

I only use stim pills them while dieting down. Until about 5 years ago though I relied on them too much. Since tolerances go up, they start to become useless so now I rely on quality rest and a good diet more. I still drink coffee but not every day and at a 3rd the amount I used to. Now if I need a pick me up before I go to the gym coffee works since my tolerance isn’t so high.

[quote]Mod Brian wrote:
texasguy wrote:diet pills, largely successful due to stimulant effects, do increase metabolic rates above there natural resting state which results in an increase in spent calories though right?

that is how they work?

isn’t it likely that if training remains the same and the metabolic rate returns to normal after discontinuing use some of the weight would come back?

“Diet Pills” is an awefully large catagory so it would be a mistake to generalize that they all work the same way and to the same extent. I specifcally dicussed HOT-ROX in my previous post.

The key ingredient in HOT-ROX is A7-E. You can read more about this and the other active ingredients in HOT-ROX in the product thread.

You can gain fat any time you consume more calories than you burn. Your statement is akin to saying that one shouldn’t bother dieting since any weight lost would be gained back with resumption of normal eating habits.[/quote]

A7-E Sounds interesting. I’ll have to try a bottle next time I cut. I feel a little guilty using this website but not buying some of the products here.

[quote]Hagar wrote:
texasguy wrote:
Hagar wrote:

yeah, i use stimulants some times, but usually do not and my work outs really don’t suffer much. people have become too reliant on a quick fix i think. the human body is capable of doing quite a bit on it’s own.

I only use stim pills them while dieting down. Until about 5 years ago though I relied on them too much. Since tolerances go up, they start to become useless so now I rely on quality rest and a good diet more. I still drink coffee but not every day and at a 3rd the amount I used to. Now if I need a pick me up before I go to the gym coffee works since my tolerance isn’t so high. [/quote]

i’m the same way. i don’t see the need for diet pills really. in my case, they don’t do anything i can’t do with out them.

i do use coffee for an occasional boost after a late night or long day, but that is about it.