Weight of NBA vs. NFL players

There are very few people that can affectively play basketball, running up and down the court and being athletic at a heavier weight than you are for your height. At 6’2" 225. Where do you live I am a similar size to you. Im about 6’4" 220, we could play 1 on 1 to 100 by ones.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Nick H wrote:
It’s silly to say that the only reason BB players are smaller is due to the extra cardio. Rugby players run 5-6 hours a week in season and generally don’t lose any significant amounts of weight (that isn’t easily regained in a few weeks of off-season). There are definite training reasons for the smaller size.

Wouldn’t rugby be closer to American football than basketball?[/quote]

Rugby would be more of a combination between the two. Rugby has tons of aerobic running in it, but still the collision aspect. The amount of running in a Rugby match is comparable to a soccer game.

It used to frustrate the fuck out of me in college. Train your ass off in the of-season to gain some size and within a few months it was all but gone. Now the dining hall food wasnt exactly top knotch either but we tried to get all the cals we could.

As people have already pointed out, there is almost no comparison with the constant running versus the 4-5 secs spurts in football. In addition to that, you have to look at frequency. How many games in the NBA a season versus how many games in Football?

A

On a separate note, Arnoud, you Dutch? If you are, stick with soccer, I switched to bball and the guys I played with in the youth system are now multi-millionaires, haha.

It is not about how strong you are with basketball, it is about being as strong as possible, but more importantly, be able to apply that strength repeatedly for long periods of time. I am 6’4" 220 and I bet I would eventually throw around 95% of the posters on T-Nation in the post that outweigh me by 20 or more pounds within 10 minutes of playing a game. Because that extra size and strength is fine, but it has to be available even when you are tired to make a difference.

I got 55 pounds on you at the same height so I will take that bet as long as we play half court, haha.

A

[quote]Shadowzz4 wrote:
It is not about how strong you are with basketball, it is about being as strong as possible, but more importantly, be able to apply that strength repeatedly for long periods of time. I am 6’4" 220 and I bet I would eventually throw around 95% of the posters on T-Nation in the post that outweigh me by 20 or more pounds within 10 minutes of playing a game. Because that extra size and strength is fine, but it has to be available even when you are tired to make a difference. [/quote]

Is it just me or are the writers on this site pushing their sales on us readers alot more lately?

[quote]Amsterdam Animal wrote:
I got 55 pounds on you at the same height so I will take that bet as long as we play half court, haha.

A

Shadowzz4 wrote:
It is not about how strong you are with basketball, it is about being as strong as possible, but more importantly, be able to apply that strength repeatedly for long periods of time. I am 6’4" 220 and I bet I would eventually throw around 95% of the posters on T-Nation in the post that outweigh me by 20 or more pounds within 10 minutes of playing a game. Because that extra size and strength is fine, but it has to be available even when you are tired to make a difference.

[/quote]

Ok man! Well let me know if you are anywhere near Nashville, TN and I will get you a pass to my gym and we can play. I was hoping you would want to play halfcourt.

I’m as dutch as tulips and gouda cheese. Unfortunately soccer is not my game, and it’s killing all the other sports around here, but that’s another debate.
Shadowzz, I’d love to play 1 on 1, but I’m not exactly around. Besides, right now I’m nursing a pulled and I’m completely out of shape. you’d kill me.

BTW Is Joe Johnson 235, or is that another J. Johnson?

Oh, and one other example, also very old. I can remember a charlotte/minnesota game (nba), where Anthony Mason was defending Kevin Garnett. Garnett had a very bad game because of a physical Anthony Mason, who muscled him out of the paint every time.

I agree though that the extra mass coming in handy is more an exception to the rule, as shadowzz pointed out with the shooting guard comparison.

[quote]Finalyear wrote:
Is it just me or are the writers on this site pushing their sales on us readers alot more lately?[/quote]

Not just you. They have to make a living too.