T Nation

Weight Loss

Coach,

I’ve been running the early release of your Layer System for the past couple of months with great success. There was a bit of burnout when I got caught for a week away from my peri, but after a week of recoup things got right back on track…

But to my point. I just found out that I need to shed somewhere in the neighborhood of 20lbs by late April, about 7 weeks I hope, so I can make a career change (law enforcement). Would you recommend a shift to a different program (ie 6 Weeks) or a change in the way the layers are applied?

If a full round of 6 Weeks is what you recommend, would you swap high pulls, tilt BP, or TBDL into any of the complexes?

Thanks!

[quote]musashi707 wrote:
Coach,

I’ve been running the early release of your Layer System for the past couple of months with great success. There was a bit of burnout when I got caught for a week away from my peri, but after a week of recoup things got right back on track…

But to my point. I just found out that I need to shed somewhere in the neighborhood of 20lbs by late April, about 7 weeks I hope, so I can make a career change (law enforcement). Would you recommend a shift to a different program (ie 6 Weeks) or a change in the way the layers are applied?

If a full round of 6 Weeks is what you recommend, would you swap high pulls, tilt BP, or TBDL into any of the complexes?

Thanks![/quote]

I would go for the 6-weeks to superhero plan

Considering how far your training has evolved since writing it, would you still do it as written or sub/add High Pulls, SGDL, and Tilt Bench?

Thanks again for all of your guidance. You never fail to produce results and keep me motivated to train.

[quote]musashi707 wrote:
Considering how far your training has evolved since writing it, would you still do it as written or sub/add High Pulls, SGDL, and Tilt Bench?

Thanks again for all of your guidance. You never fail to produce results and keep me motivated to train.[/quote]

I do not really SGDL… my own training revolves around:

• Snatch-grip explosive pulls (high, chinese, low)
  • Slight decline bench press from pins
  • Dead-Squat lauches
  • Overhead support

And I started to include push presses again.

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

[quote]musashi707 wrote:

Thanks again for all of your guidance. You never fail to produce results and keep me motivated to train.[/quote]

• Dead-Squat lauches
  • Overhead support

And I started to include push presses again.[/quote]

@CT:

Is the slight decline bench press from pins usually with the Dead-Squat bar? Do you rotate in a regular bar too?

[quote]Mutsanah wrote:

[quote]musashi707 wrote:

• Dead-Squat lauches
  • Overhead support

@CT:

Is the slight decline bench press from pins usually with the Dead-Squat bar? Do you rotate in a regular bar too?[/quote]

I use both. I DO NOT like the term “rotating” because it implies that I go from one to the other in an every-other workout (or week) pattern, that is not the case. I switch when progress stalls for 2 workouts in a row.

[quote]Mutsanah wrote:

[quote]musashi707 wrote:

• Dead-Squat lauches
  • Overhead support

@CT:

Is the slight decline bench press from pins usually with the Dead-Squat bar? Do you rotate in a regular bar too?[/quote]

I use both. I DO NOT like the term “rotating” because it implies that I go from one to the other in an every-other workout (or week) pattern, that is not the case. I switch when progress stalls for 2 workouts in a row.[/quote]

Got it. Thanks for the clarification.

I like the suggestions of making a switch when progress stalls for 2 workouts in a row. Have to remember that one.

Christian…are you doing overhead work now instead of incline tilt? I’ve thought about doing that and for my ramp doing standing military from pins with the Dead-Squat Bar then a push press from that weight…how would I alter my clusters & HDL with this approach?

[quote]sput79 wrote:
Christian…are you doing overhead work now instead of incline tilt? I’ve thought about doing that and for my ramp doing standing military from pins with the Dead-Squat Bar then a push press from that weight…how would I alter my clusters & HDL with this approach?[/quote]

I don`t like when someone says ‘‘Are you doing XYZ now?’’… it sounds bad, it sounds like I changed my mind on something, which isn’t the case. I picj exercises on a need to basis. My principle is to pick the best exercises to accomplish what I need to get done.

For example, I want to work the delts a tad more as well as mobility… I hate regular flexbility training so to me, doing overhead supports allow me to get overhead stimulation while working on whoulder range of motion.

As for the push press, I`m using it because I want to get back to the olympic lifts and the push press is the first step toward relearning the jerk.

The overhead supports are only done as a ramp.

The push press is done for sets of 5 after the supports.

[quote]sput79 wrote:
Christian…are you doing overhead work now instead of incline tilt? I’ve thought about doing that and for my ramp doing standing military from pins with the Dead-Squat Bar then a push press from that weight…how would I alter my clusters & HDL with this approach?[/quote]

I don`t like when someone says ‘‘Are you doing XYZ now?’’… it sounds bad, it sounds like I changed my mind on something, which isn’t the case. I picj exercises on a need to basis. My principle is to pick the best exercises to accomplish what I need to get done.

For example, I want to work the delts a tad more as well as mobility… I hate regular flexbility training so to me, doing overhead supports allow me to get overhead stimulation while working on whoulder range of motion.

As for the push press, I`m using it because I want to get back to the olympic lifts and the push press is the first step toward relearning the jerk.

The push press is done for sets of 5 after the supports.[/quote]

@CT:

So when you do choose to implement overhead supports and they are done as a ramp, do you just ramp to a 1RM for the day or are there also clusters involved?

I find that when I ramp to a 1RM and then use 85-90% of my day’s 1RM for clusters of 5 that my 2nd and 3rd set of clusters are almost effortless compared to the ramping up in weight and intensity. It’s a great feeling.

I like the idea of push press after the supports.

The sets of 5 takes some endurance and also mobility as that can degrade with fatigue.

Thanks for the info.

[quote]Mutsanah wrote:

[quote]sput79 wrote:

@CT:

So when you do choose to implement overhead supports and they are done as a ramp, do you just ramp to a 1RM for the day or are there also clusters involved?

I find that when I ramp to a 1RM and then use 85-90% of my day’s 1RM for clusters of 5 that my 2nd and 3rd set of clusters are almost effortless compared to the ramping up in weight and intensity. It’s a great feeling.

The sets of 5 takes some endurance and also mobility as that can degrade with fatigue.

Thanks for the info.

[/quote]

I only perform the ramp for the overhead support, but hold for 3-5 seconds at the top.

[quote]Mutsanah wrote:

[quote]sput79 wrote:

@CT:

Thanks for the info.

[/quote]

I only perform the ramp for the overhead support, but hold for 3-5 seconds at the top.[/quote]

@CT:

OK, thanks.

I only ask because when I started doing layers for overhead supports, I took my 1RM from 320 to 360 in just 3 weeks, that’s with a 3 sec hold.

Needless to say, I was surprised.

Now, I have in mind I could hit a 400 overhead support someday. You know me, thinking about #'s…

Would I just continue with the emphasis on clusters as long as I’m progressing?

Thanks again,
M

[quote]Mutsanah wrote:

[quote]Mutsanah wrote:

[quote]sput79 wrote:

@CT:

Thanks for the info.

[/quote]

I only perform the ramp for the overhead support, but hold for 3-5 seconds at the top.[/quote]

@CT:

OK, thanks.

I only ask because when I started doing layers for overhead supports, I took my 1RM from 320 to 360 in just 3 weeks, that’s with a 3 sec hold.

Now, I have in mind I could hit a 400 overhead support someday. You know me, thinking about #'s…

Thanks again,
M[/quote]

No, it would be too much since the overhead support are added at the tail end of another exercise.

[quote]Mutsanah wrote:

[quote]Mutsanah wrote:

[quote]sput79 wrote:

@CT:

Thanks for the info.

[/quote]

@CT:

OK, thanks.

Thanks again,
M[/quote]

No, it would be too much since the overhead support are added at the tail end of another exercise.[/quote]

Ah, OK. I must have understood incorrectly. I thought one session alone was overhead support layers followed by 5 sets of Push Press.

CT: What are “Overhead Supports”? I’m currently planning a workout around improving my shoulder stability/mobility (shoulders need both!) and am interested in any type of exercise that would help this goal.

[quote]ZJStrope wrote:
CT: What are “Overhead Supports”? I’m currently planning a workout around improving my shoulder stability/mobility (shoulders need both!) and am interested in any type of exercise that would help this goal.[/quote]

Basically set-up the bar on safety pins inside the power rack, use just about the highest setting possible. Put your hands on the bar, and bend your knees so that you can be under it with locked elbows. Stand up and hold 5 seconds.

[quote]ZJStrope wrote:
CT: What are “Overhead Supports”? I’m currently planning a workout around improving my shoulder stability/mobility (shoulders need both!) and am interested in any type of exercise that would help this goal.[/quote]

Basically set-up the bar on safety pins inside the power rack, use just about the highest setting possible. Put your hands on the bar, and bend your knees so that you can be under it with locked elbows. Stand up and hold 5 seconds.[/quote]

Hi CT,

What is the purpose of the over support? Does it help with OHP or the olympic lifts?

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]ZJStrope wrote:

Basically set-up the bar on safety pins inside the power rack, use just about the highest setting possible. Put your hands on the bar, and bend your knees so that you can be under it with locked elbows. Stand up and hold 5 seconds.[/quote]

Hi CT,

What is the purpose of the over support? Does it help with OHP or the olympic lifts? [/quote]

It strenghten the whole overhead position and allows you to work on developping the proper overhead position (shoulders shrugged up, bar behind the ears). It also has a profound effect on core strength. So yes, it does end up having a transfer to overhead strength and the olympic lifts.

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]ZJStrope wrote:

Hi CT,

What is the purpose of the over support? Does it help with OHP or the olympic lifts? [/quote]

It strenghten the whole overhead position and allows you to work on developping the proper overhead position (shoulders shrugged up, bar behind the ears). It also has a profound effect on core strength. So yes, it does end up having a transfer to overhead strength and the olympic lifts.
[/quote]

Awesome, I’ve developing an interest in the O lifts recently, so I will work these in as well.

Thanks