Weight Loss Workout

My co-worker was issued this workout by a trainer friend of his. I’m also a trainer and have my own issues with this program but wanted to get some feedback from this forum to provide back to my co-worker along with my opinion.

Here is the data provided to me:
Current stats:

235 pds, 5’7", looks like between 30-40% bodyfat,has not worked out for years, used to be thin in school and after military, looks like can gain and lose weight moderately easily

GOALS:
SHORT TERM 3 MONTHS
LOSE APRX 30 LBS
DECREASE MID SECTION
FOCUS ON WEIGHT LOSS VS MUSCLE GAIN
GET MUSCLES READY/ USED TO GOING TO GYM FOR BIGGER GAIN

6 MONTHS
TOTAL DECRESS OF WEIGHT LOSS 60 LBS
MID SECTION DOWN
READY TO FOCUS ON MUSCLE MASS VS WEIGHT LOSS

1 YR GOAL
BODY FAT 5-7%
WEIGHT 188-195

Current Program:

Day 1-Chest, arms, abs

bench press 4 sets…12,10,8,6
incline dumbbell flies 3 sets…10,8,6
decline press 3 sets…10,8,6
pec deck 3 sets…10,8,8

barbell curls 4 sets…12,10,8,6
preacher curls 3 sets…10,8,8
hammer curls 3 sets…10,10,8

tricep pushdowns 4 sets…12,10,8,6
skull crushers 3 sets…10,8,6
one arm reverse pushdowns 3 sets…10,10,8

ab machine 3 sets…20,15,15
leg raises sets… 15,15,15
regular crunches 3 sets…15,15,15

Day 2- legs,back shoulders

squats 4 sets, 12,10,8,6
leg press 3 sets, 10,10,6
lying leg curls 3 sets, 10,10,6
calf machine 4 sets…20,15,15,10
standing calf raises 3 sets, 15,15,10

lat pulldown 4 sets 12,10,8,6
seated row 3 sets 10,10,8
upright rows 3 sets, 12,12,10

dumbbell press 4 sets 12,10,8,6
front shoulder raise 3 sets 10,10,8
side shoulder raise 3 sets 10,10,8
dumbbell shrugs 4 sets 12,10,10,8

He works out 5 days a week weight training including 45 minutes cardio. Only taking a ephedrine free Hydroxycut and protein shakes for supplements.

My feedback in general:
-He is overtraining - to many sets per bodypart.
-Improportionate program - too much direct arm work, not enough leg exercises
-Should have more compound exercises as opposed to isolation and machines to burn more calories.
-Arms may not be rested to do back and delts the following workout.
-Ephedrine-free Hodroxycut???

Any feedback would be appreciated. I don’t want to discuss nutrition too much right now just the workout. He says he does low to moderate intensity weighttraining. Keep in mind this is a beginner but really motivated to get his results. Thanks

[quote]yodaddy wrote:
My co-worker was issued this workout by a trainer friend of his. I’m also a trainer and have my own issues with this program but wanted to get some feedback from this forum to provide back to my co-worker along with my opinion.

Here is the data provided to me:
Current stats:

235 pds, 5’7", looks like between 30-40% bodyfat,has not worked out for years, used to be thin in school and after military, looks like can gain and lose weight moderately easily

GOALS:
SHORT TERM 3 MONTHS
LOSE APRX 30 LBS
DECREASE MID SECTION
FOCUS ON WEIGHT LOSS VS MUSCLE GAIN
GET MUSCLES READY/ USED TO GOING TO GYM FOR BIGGER GAIN

6 MONTHS
TOTAL DECRESS OF WEIGHT LOSS 60 LBS
MID SECTION DOWN
READY TO FOCUS ON MUSCLE MASS VS WEIGHT LOSS

1 YR GOAL
BODY FAT 5-7%
WEIGHT 188-195

Current Program:

Day 1-Chest, arms, abs

bench press 4 sets…12,10,8,6
incline dumbbell flies 3 sets…10,8,6
decline press 3 sets…10,8,6
pec deck 3 sets…10,8,8

barbell curls 4 sets…12,10,8,6
preacher curls 3 sets…10,8,8
hammer curls 3 sets…10,10,8

tricep pushdowns 4 sets…12,10,8,6
skull crushers 3 sets…10,8,6
one arm reverse pushdowns 3 sets…10,10,8

ab machine 3 sets…20,15,15
leg raises sets… 15,15,15
regular crunches 3 sets…15,15,15

Day 2- legs,back shoulders

squats 4 sets, 12,10,8,6
leg press 3 sets, 10,10,6
lying leg curls 3 sets, 10,10,6
calf machine 4 sets…20,15,15,10
standing calf raises 3 sets, 15,15,10

lat pulldown 4 sets 12,10,8,6
seated row 3 sets 10,10,8
upright rows 3 sets, 12,12,10

dumbbell press 4 sets 12,10,8,6
front shoulder raise 3 sets 10,10,8
side shoulder raise 3 sets 10,10,8
dumbbell shrugs 4 sets 12,10,10,8

He works out 5 days a week weight training including 45 minutes cardio. Only taking a ephedrine free Hydroxycut and protein shakes for supplements.

My feedback in general:
-He is overtraining - to many sets per bodypart.
-Improportionate program - too much direct arm work, not enough leg exercises
-Should have more compound exercises as opposed to isolation and machines to burn more calories.
-Arms may not be rested to do back and delts the following workout.
-Ephedrine-free Hodroxycut???

Any feedback would be appreciated. I don’t want to discuss nutrition too much right now just the workout. He says he does low to moderate intensity weighttraining. Keep in mind this is a beginner but really motivated to get his results. Thanks
[/quote]

First off, if he doesn’t have everything locked on, there’s no way he can get to single digit body fat in a year. I’m not saying he shouldn’t set ambitious goals, but damn, that’s quite a metamorphisis.

Other then that, I just think the whole program is too much sizzle and not enough steak. Fatties expecially need to focus on gross body movements. As a beginner, higher rep ranges aren’t so bad. But he needs, if able, to do some big movements. The two big ones that come to mind are farmers carries, or carries with the load in a cradle position, and rack pulls. Both are large, multijoint movements with direct transfer to stuff he probably does everyday.

Good luck with his new program.

[quote]yodaddy wrote:

[/quote]

A few things I would alter:

• Start with nutrition, it is the most important aspect especially during weight loss
  • If he hasn’t lifted in years the first week or so should focus on form, forget numbers (Thanks MR :slight_smile: )
  • Way too much volume
  • Not enough compound lifts or unilateral work
  • 60 pounds in 6 months = about 2.5 lbs/week - that’s a lot

I think he should follow the Lion’s Den workout for the first few months.

Bodyweight Squats
Pushups
Chinups
Situps

There’s an article on here (I think it’s called Warrior Training) that talks about it. I also have the book my Ken Shamrock (but it’s basically the same thing).

I think that with the above program you can easily monitor progress and increase work capacity at an appropriate pace. Eventually, have him start working back into the weights. By then (perhaps 6-10 months from now) he can focus on the 8-12 range for 3 weeks, then adopt a strength focused workout (5x5, etc. or Waterbury’s stuff).

Another thing you could do is add incline walks after the above workout. It’s not too taxing but it gets the fatloss done.

-ton

(1) He needs to focus on diet. Anything he does in the gym will be icing on the cake for the first 3 months.

(2) Hydroxycut? c’mon.

(3) Full body workouts, <4 exercises per weight training workout, compound exercises. Maybe 3 sets of 12. This guy is a beginner, and this should be plenty for the first month or two.

(4) Start with 2 days of weights at first, and eventually move up to 3. Low impact cardio could be done 3 times per week. I say specifically low impact because if he’s that much overweight, he could injure his knees with too much high impact stuff.

(5) I’m not a personal trainer, and I don’t even play one on TV, but this is what I would prescribe. His lifting should be re-evaluated every month or so, and changes should be made to the original weight prescription from above.

(6) Lastly, I’d say until his diet is in order for a substantial amount of time, fat loss supplements are going to be worthless.

Pretty good graphics, but I would go cardio at least 5 days a week. He is going fairly low intensity and I see no problem getting in all the cardio he can handle. Weights 2 maybe 3 times a week and cardio 4-5.

[quote]graphicsMan wrote:
(5) I’m not a personal trainer, and I don’t even play one on TV, but this is what I would prescribe. His lifting should be re-evaluated every month or so, and changes should be made to the original weight prescription from above.
[/quote]

But did you stay at a holiday inn express last night? Good info!

Most of the info looks pretty good to me, but yah a big part of progress is realizing where you are now and setting realistic goals for the future. If your goals are to far fetched you may get down on yourself if you do not meet your own expectations.

give him this simple split routine, it will also help him with his weight losing.
CYCLE: 3 Days Per Week
LEVEL: Novice To Intermediate
GOAL: Introduction To Bodybuilding
Legs
? Leg Presses: 3 Sets x 12 Reps
? Leg Curls: 2 Sets x 12 Reps
? Standing Calf Raises: 2 Sets x 12 Reps
Chest/Shoulders
? Flat Barbell Bench Presses:
2 Sets x 10 Reps
? Barbell Shoulder Presses:
2 Sets x 10 Reps
Back
? Front Pulldowns: 2 Sets x 10 Reps
? Barbell Rows: 2 Sets x 10 Reps
Arms
? Barbell Curls:
2 Sets x 10 Reps
? Lying Tricep Extensions:
2 Sets x 10 Reps
other

? Ab Crunches: 2 Sets x 10 Reps
? Aerobic Training: 20 minutes of low
intensity aerobic
Monday: ON
Tuesday: OFF
Wednesday: REPEAT
Thursday: OFF
Friday: REPEAT
Saturday: OFF
Sunday: OFF

Thanks for the feedback. I agree with compound movements like pushups, pullups, crunches, squats and presses. These burn the most calories and are good strength builders.

Hey, when a person says they did body weight squats does that mean they loaded a bar with their scale weight and squated it? Or, does that mean they did squats with no weights at all?

Way too complicated for a beginner. I should know, I am one. 3-4 compound movements, total body workout 3xWeek. HIIT 2xWeek on off days. 8hrs of sleep. Diet diet diet.

For me the hardest part is diet and getting enough sleep.

Feedback?? It is a terrible plan. Couldn’t really think of a worse one. Pec Deck? useless for his goals.
Want simple?
day 1
1a)vertical push
1b vertical pull
1c) deadlift
10 x 3

day 3
1a)horizontal push
1b) horizontal pull
1c) front squat.
10x3

without even seeing this guy, this would be light years better than what he is doing.

DIET, DIET, DIET, DIET, DIET, DIET, DIET, DIET, DIET, DIET, DIET, DIET,

Create a calorie deficit of at least
2 1/2 pounds per week goal, 3500 cals per pound, /7 of 1250 per day. That is without training.

Direct him here. Mandate that for every .5 hour reading here, train for an hour. This will prevent overplanning, under doing.

1 Like