T Nation

Weight Loss That Quick?

Hey guys, got a quick question for you on the speed of weight loss. Let me start off by saying I’ve been lifting seriously for about a year and started off really really skinny, therefore, I eat like an elephant to gain. Thing is, I don’t eat 100% clean and over a year I went from about 9-10% bodyfat to roughly 12%-15% bodyfat.

I’ve made significant strength and lean muscle gains relative to where I was at initially, but now the bodyfat is becoming too much. My plan is to clean up the diet a bit and toss in about 30-45 mins of extra cardio 3 days of the week. That and/or do circuit training at the end of my workouts. Right now I’m sitting at 197.5lbs and im thinking if im somewhere around 12-15% right now I’ll have to lose a good 10 lbs of bodyfat to be where I want to be or at least close, which is about 8-10% bf . I have a grappling tournament in ~2 months and I’m wondering if I am able to lose that in that time frame. Keep in mind I have a pretty fast metabolism. Any thoughts?

If u have a fast metabolism then u should be fine. Just eat a lot of protein. Stay away from moderate cardio, either take walks or do some high intensity cardio like jumprope or sprints. It shouldnt be a big deal to lose 10 pounds in two months. Worst case scenario drop 5lbs and sit in a steamroom. lol good luck

I’m pretty much the same size as you and I lost 10 pounds in three weeks on Warp Speed Fat Loss in January. That involved eating a perfect diet and working out 6 days a week, 3 resistance training, 3 cardio.

The diet will be key. Make sure you’re at a calorie deficit.

[quote]gatorpump wrote:
If u have a fast metabolism then u should be fine. Just eat a lot of protein. Stay away from moderate cardio, either take walks or do some high intensity cardio like jumprope or sprints. It shouldnt be a big deal to lose 10 pounds in two months. Worst case scenario drop 5lbs and sit in a steamroom. lol good luck[/quote]

Thanks for all the help guys, but a couple questions on your responses.

By moderate cardio are you talking something like a 2 mile jog?

Like i said before I’m thinking of either doing like a mile jog 3 days a week or just doing a circuit training type deal for 10 minutes after my regular workout. I prefer the circuit because I get a little muscular endurance and extra conditioning for mma.

My workout schedule as it is, is lifting 4 days a week and doing a 1.5 hour mma workout/class/training 3 days of the week. So are you suggesting some high intensity cardio after a lifting session or on an off day.

if your main concern is losing weight, you can do cardio on weight days and also off days.

Jogging a mile sounds like a waste of time to me. You’d be much better off doing some sprinting intervals, pulling a sled, or some tabatta.

[quote]LiamBrady wrote:
if your main concern is losing weight, you can do cardio on weight days and also off days.

Jogging a mile sounds like a waste of time to me. You’d be much better off doing some sprinting intervals, pulling a sled, or some tabatta.[/quote]

Never heard of tabata until just now when I looked it up. Sounds fun though! I love things like that. Question is, I’m thinking ill do them after each workout, so four times a week. But every tabata article I find just says to do large muscle groups. I.E. front squats and “thrusters”. Are there any other exercises you can recommend. Specifically, ones thatll hit different areas of my body so I can do them 3-4 times per week.

ditto on what Liam said. Dont waste ur time jogging. Walking will not burn as many calories as jogging, but when u do a walk u burn strictly fat instead of muscle. Maybe do this on ur days off. And for the cardio like high intensity jumprope or sprints i would just add that on to ur workout days. I never heard of tabata either but i imagine a good full body excercise you could do would be burpees. also i have seen something where people do a snatch/ burpee/ push up with dumbbells.

I saw it on one of the T-Nation articles about explosive training. additionally i guess you could do some paratroopers which are alternating explosive split squats. Also moutainclimbers could be good as well. Maybe even trying some old school up-downs would be good for you too. Whatever you do bust your tail!

here is the article on explosive training you could try

Haha I can’t bring myself to walk. I know it burns just fat but my brain just screams “wtf are you doing, hustle up!” I feel like I’m wasting time. But I can definitely incorporate those explosive training methods on that article to some tabatas… thanks alot guys.

I was thinking, do non-sprint effort tabatas produce the same type of fat loss as the sprinting kind. I.E. I’ve been doing some explosive stuff like weighted squats,pushups, dips, sledge/tire workouts but tabata style but it definitely doesnt exhaust me as much as a 20 second sprint w a 10 second rest would. Thoughts?