Weight Loss Rant

Dude, just be happy they’re trying to make a change and are excited to talk about it.

In my experience, the only people who make significant improvement with weight loss are people that need to talk about it constantly, because if it’s not on their mind they relapse into eating godknowswhat. That’s not a bad thing, it’s how they stay focused and you should encourage them.

I do hear what you are saying. Overweight people focus far too much on weight instead of how they look(many of us have this problem). Few people realize the discipline it takes to lose fat because they are fed bullshit on Oprah/magazines/whatever else.

Yeah, they should be proud of their accomplishments, but they will all gain the fat back, probably more and the cycle continues. A deep seeded desire for drastic change is the only way to dig themselves out of that hole.

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
Dude, just be happy they’re trying to make a change and are excited to talk about it.

In my experience, the only people who make significant improvement with weight loss are people that need to talk about it constantly, because if it’s not on their mind they relapse into eating godknowswhat. That’s not a bad thing, it’s how they stay focused and you should encourage them. [/quote]

I agree with this and all the posts like it.

If it bothers you so much, you need more shit in your life to take up your time.

[quote]countingbeans wrote:

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

In my experience, the only people who make significant improvement with weight loss are people that need to talk about it constantly, because if it’s not on their mind they relapse into eating godknowswhat. That’s not a bad thing, it’s how they stay focused and you should encourage them. [/quote]

If it bothers you so much, you need more shit in your life to take up your time.[/quote]

Bingo.

It’s human nature.

That is why you have your core group of people to bump heads with…and let everyone else be themselves.

If you waste time hating them for it, you just die early from the stress. There are too many of them.

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

If it bothers you so much, you need more shit in your life to take up your time.[/quote]

also agree. although, for my sake i hope it doesnt end, because reading passive aggressive rants help me pass the time at work. if i didnt have these threads to read , then I would become someone who would need more shit in my life to take up my time, and then I would start writing my own passive aggressive rants. And that would be gay. gayer than being an accountant.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

Bingo.

It’s human nature.

That is why you have your core group of people to bump heads with…and let everyone else be themselves.

If you waste time hating them for it, you just die early from the stress. There are too many of them.[/quote]

Yeah, I think this perspective comes with age and responsibility. 10 years ago I would have probably felt the same as OP to be honest.

Now? Eh, I got too much other shit going on to worry.

[quote]dshroy wrote:

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

also agree. although, for my sake i hope it doesnt end, because reading passive aggressive rants help me pass the time at work. if i didnt have these threads to read , then I would become someone who would need more shit in my life to take up my time, and then I would start writing my own passive aggressive rants. And that would be gay. gayer than being an accountant.[/quote]

haha, (Lanky is an accountant too, in case you weren’t aware you got us both.)

It really comes down to perspective. I get the annoyance Op feels, but after a certain point, or certain experiences in life, you kinda just let go of little shit like this.

Save your worry and anger for the real big things, like if your wife is cheating on you with a dude named Nitro…

Save your worry and anger for the real big things, like if your wife is cheating on you with a dude named Nitro…[/quote]

Or like your gf is driving her car to some known location (gps attached to car) and your in Germany and then will not muster up any T-courage to go see who she is banging behind your back.

or we could make this a rant/guilty confession about banging your own aunt (anyone remember that thread?)

I honestly don’t like talking about fitness and diet in real life if I can help it. When I do get asked for comprehensive advice, 100% of the time I’ll give the person an individual diet and workout plan, but said person will then go back to the zumba and beer within a day.

yes I’m a bad trainer
yes I’m better than them

This made me laugh a little bit. I’m not saying I completely agree with it. I agree with how he chooses not to make clothes for fat people because there is too much fat acceptance. People aren’t just born fat nor does it happen over night. That being said I still hate that I can never buy a suit jacket and pants together or one that fits me right. I’ll be damned if a fat person can’t but a short muscular guy O helllll nawwwww. I’m fucked in the suit department. :frowning:

Abercrombie

[quote]T11 wrote:
Abercrombie[/quote]

Ironically that dude would lose a beauty contest to the rear end of a shih tzu.

[quote]debraD wrote:

[quote]T11 wrote:
Abercrombie[/quote]

Ironically that dude would lose a beauty contest to the rear end of a shih tzu.[/quote]

No lie. And the reason he hires young good looking men is because he likes to look at young good looking men. But yeah, he would not have been one of the cool kids in school.

[quote]debraD wrote:

[quote]T11 wrote:
Abercrombie[/quote]

Ironically that dude would lose a beauty contest to the rear end of a shih tzu.[/quote]
My shih tzu is stunningly good looking when viewed from any angle thank you very much.

[quote]Waittz wrote:
I threw in 100$ of my money just for the winner to help build the incentive. Now dealing with these people everyday I have to ask this question:

Why the hell do fat people need to brag and expect applause for losing weight. Like not going from overweight to fit, going from fat to less fat. I am sorry but I dont care that you lost 15-20 lbs, you still are overweight. Why the hell should I applaud you for doing what you are supposed to do as a normal human being?
[/quote]

If you don’t think they should expect an applause then why the hell did you put in 100 of your cold hard cash in this bullshit waste of time competition???

Maybe you should have just ignored all this mediocre non-sense, and continue on with your life???

tweet

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

No no no…this thread shall not have any mature discussion, thank you.

Take your logic, sensibility and thoughfulness and GTFO and come back when you’re ready to go ALL CAPS ANGRY AT FATTIES.

I agree with X and others on this. I used to hate on fat people, then realized that I was wrong in doing so.

Now, I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt. In reality, it’s fucking EASY to be fat these days! EVERYTHING regarding the food industry is done for a reason. Taste testing and developing sugar/fat ratios that are most addictive. The fact that there are studies that have proven that sugar is not only addictive, but even toxic. Fuckin’ food at supermarkets are all placed EXACTLY where they should be in order for you to buy as much shit as possible.

Then you have those little ones you call children tugging on your shorts grabbing a box (the biggest one he can get his hands on) of delicious sugary cereal and asking you to buy it for him, too. Cause supermarker man knows that if he puts them on the lower shelves, said kids are gonna see them… and want them. Then you gotta buy more milk. Then there are gyms like planet fitness that allow you to tell friends/coworkers/SO/yourself that you “go to the gym” but enable you to not do shit while you’re there, because doing shit is, well, hard. Then you grab a slice of pizza off of the front desk on your way out from “pizza night at the gym.”

Then there’s a starbucks offering 500+ calorie drinks that people eat up like there’s no tomorrow. A fast food restaurants in every part of town, every other exit on freeways, in malls/college campuses, etc. The convenience and (often deceivingly) “low” price of fast food (we’re not talking about people who get one or two things off the dollar menu.) Would you like to supersize that? Then you have your similarly lazy/out of shape friends and family who enable you to be lazy so they don’t have to feel bad about themselves while you get up off your ass and make a change.

The whole fitness industry is fucked six ways to sunday: trainers who don’t know shit about training or diet, the worlds most beautiful woman raving about her 4 brussel sprout per day diet, “magic diet pills” that give you all the hope in the world just to let you down with zero results.

That’s only naming a few. There are TONS of reasons why it’s easy to be fat these days. You have your odds stacked against you in terms of being in great shape in america in 2013, man.

So really, I just hope they happen to stumble across something like tnation/gary taubes/mountain dog diet/a knowledable friend (O-FUCKING-P :slight_smile: )/etc so that they can at least have a chance to get a grasp on what actual good nutrition is, because in reality, there ARE people who truly believe 1000 cal per day vegan diets or lemon juice cucumber honey 11 day cleanses are far healthier than eating a grass fed steak with a side of veggies.

Or that an egg omlette with a side of bacon and avocado isn’t going to clog your arteries and kill you at 40. There’s so much false information for these people to buy into and it’s usually the bullshit that’s so widespread. Which is pretty unfortunate.

So really, I prefer to give them the benefit of the doubt. If you can’t wish them well, at least don’t wish them poorly.

And if that’s not good enough, later that night when you get home, quietly give yourself a pat on the back for having the resolve to not befat, but still, it’s just not worth being a dick over.

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
I agree with X and others on this. I used to hate on fat people, then realized that I was wrong in doing so.

Now, I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt. In reality, it’s fucking EASY to be fat these days! EVERYTHING regarding the food industry is done for a reason. Taste testing and developing sugar/fat ratios that are most addictive. The fact that there are studies that have proven that sugar is not only addictive, but even toxic. Fuckin’ food at supermarkets are all placed EXACTLY where they should be in order for you to buy as much shit as possible.

Then you have those little ones you call children tugging on your shorts grabbing a box (the biggest one he can get his hands on) of delicious sugary cereal and asking you to buy it for him, too. Cause supermarker man knows that if he puts them on the lower shelves, said kids are gonna see them… and want them. Then you gotta buy more milk. Then there are gyms like planet fitness that allow you to tell friends/coworkers/SO/yourself that you “go to the gym” but enable you to not do shit while you’re there, because doing shit is, well, hard. Then you grab a slice of pizza off of the front desk on your way out from “pizza night at the gym.”

Then there’s a starbucks offering 500+ calorie drinks that people eat up like there’s no tomorrow. A fast food restaurants in every part of town, every other exit on freeways, in malls/college campuses, etc. The convenience and (often deceivingly) “low” price of fast food (we’re not talking about people who get one or two things off the dollar menu.) Would you like to supersize that? Then you have your similarly lazy/out of shape friends and family who enable you to be lazy so they don’t have to feel bad about themselves while you get up off your ass and make a change.

The whole fitness industry is fucked six ways to sunday: trainers who don’t know shit about training or diet, the worlds most beautiful woman raving about her 4 brussel sprout per day diet, “magic diet pills” that give you all the hope in the world just to let you down with zero results.

That’s only naming a few. There are TONS of reasons why it’s easy to be fat these days. You have your odds stacked against you in terms of being in great shape in america in 2013, man.

So really, I just hope they happen to stumble across something like tnation/gary taubes/mountain dog diet/a knowledable friend (O-FUCKING-P :slight_smile: )/etc so that they can at least have a chance to get a grasp on what actual good nutrition is, because in reality, there ARE people who truly believe 1000 cal per day vegan diets or lemon juice cucumber honey 11 day cleanses are far healthier than eating a grass fed steak with a side of veggies.

Or that an egg omlette with a side of bacon and avocado isn’t going to clog your arteries and kill you at 40. There’s so much false information for these people to buy into and it’s usually the bullshit that’s so widespread. Which is pretty unfortunate.

So really, I prefer to give them the benefit of the doubt. If you can’t wish them well, at least don’t wish them poorly.

And if that’s not good enough, later that night when you get home, quietly give yourself a pat on the back for having the resolve to not befat, but still, it’s just not worth being a dick over. [/quote]

This is a really great post. I don’t get all the fattie hate. Do some of them suck? Sure, but a percentage of ALL groups suck. Sorry for being all serial in the semi weekly fat haters thread.

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:

Then there’s a starbucks offering 500+ calorie drinks that people eat up like there’s no tomorrow. A fast food restaurants in every part of town, every other exit on freeways, in malls/college campuses, etc. The convenience and (often deceivingly) “low” price of fast food (we’re not talking about people who get one or two things off the dollar menu.) Would you like to supersize that? Then you have your similarly lazy/out of shape friends and family who enable you to be lazy so they don’t have to feel bad about themselves while you get up off your ass and make a change.[/quote]
I still think a lot of it has to be genetic. I guess I should be thankful.