T Nation

Weight Loss Questions

I have just a couple of questions.

I have been training now for about a 9 months. I have gone from 330 to 218 (have been working on weight for about a year) and body fat from 35% to 14.8%. My goal is to get down to about 205 and 10% body fat.

My weight loss has slowed down tremendously are there any suggestions on what I can do to get the last 13 pounds off? I have heard it is ok to do cardio twice a day for a couple of weeks to help with this loss. Is this ok?? Thanks for your help

First GREAT JOB so far. second man its mainly going to be diet. I wouldnt over due the cardio what are you doing Now?? sure add some extra but no need to go and double or triple your efforts off the bat. where are you going to go from there. add a session or two tweak the diet carry that out then add more or tweak more if needed.

also if your hitting the weights ghard I would aim to not focus so much on the loss of 13 lbs but just the BF% try and save or even gain a little lean mass.

Youve been hard dieting 9 months when is the last time you took a week or two break ate to maintain lackd off a bit. Might be high time to give your body a break let it reset a bit with a week or to of eating a bit higher.

Phill

[quote]stillearning1 wrote:

I have been training now for about a 9 months. I have gone from 330 to 218 (have been working on weight for about a year) and body fat from 35% to 14.8%. My goal is to get down to about 205 and 10% body fat.

My weight loss has slowed down tremendously are there any suggestions on what I can do to get the last 13 pounds off? I have heard it is ok to do cardio twice a day for a couple of weeks to help with this loss. Is this ok?? Thanks for your help[/quote]

Thanks for the response. I am doing about 3-4 days a week with 30 min of cardio, mostly elipitical. My body fat has been steadily dropping, I guess its hard for me to come to the realization that even though my weight isnt dropping I am still losing just as long as my body fat is.

I actually just got off vacation, I didnt eat a bunch of crap on vacation I did however eat more than I have been and I ate stuff that I havent eaten in a while. Hopefully that will be enough to shock my body a little and get back in gear.

How long would you think it would take me to get down to 10% body fat coming from 14.8? I would like to reach this goal by the end of August.

Last question, I hear alot about not eating carbs from other people, are they that important to keep out of my diet??

Thanks again!!!

Hello,

That’s awsome! I started in Feb at 255lb or so and 32% BF but I dropped to 230lb and 20% BF over 3 months. I was then stuck there for some time. I didn’t drop as much lb as yourself but I found I had to start playing with my diet a bit to get losing again. The first 3 months I just cleaned up my diet in general and exercised.

Recently I have actually increased my calories from around 2500 to 3000 a day and I once again saw my BF start to drop with my weight dropping a bit as well. I am hoping to get into the 225lb 15%BF area (current 226/18%) as I am a bit of a bigger guy (6’2").

The approach I took is that I know what diet and exercise gets me 2lb a week so I can experiment with the diet for 2 weeks and see what effects it has. If I don’t like the effects I go back to my last known good approach for a bit. (I log 90% of my meals and my stats each Friday). For example, from my experiments I found I get grumpy and tired at the end of the day with carbs < 150g but I still do fine if I take all of my carbs before 1:00pm (I work out at 6:00am).

Keep it up! You might just need to ‘tweak’ your % of protien, fat and carbs. Or even raise your cals/day.

TTYL, Jeff

My weight loss has slowed down tremendously are there any suggestions on what I can do to get the last 13 pounds off? I have heard it is ok to do cardio twice a day for a couple of weeks to help with this loss. Is this ok?? Thanks for your help[/quote]

Tabata thrusters are a great way to lose that remaining fat. Not only that, but it’s great for cardio.

Hellz yeah, us Carolina boys know how to cut weight. I have nothing else real constructive to add.

this guy has dropped over 100 lb’s that is pretty badass.

I have been training for 6 months and just hit 50lb’s lost. I think he blew me outta the water.

I can loose weight very quickly but if I don’t stick to my diet I can gain it back doubly fast. I am taking lipo6 right now but really havent seen much of a difference. I thought about trying HOT-ROX. Has anyone had any good experiences with that? It gets frustrating when you see that goal but you just cant reach it!!!

Congrats to Sillearning and swamp thing. Big weight loss like that is nothing to frown on. Good job turning it around.

The less BF you have the harder it is to lose, sorry to be the bearer of bad news there. The upside is it can be done, its no where near impossible.

HRX is great IMO. But no matter how good a supp is, its going to be the diet that makes or breaks you.

Just tighten up the diet. If its already tight, cut 300-500cals a day. I wouldn’t go below 2000-2500 for long tho. Sometimes to break a weight loss plateau you need to add in a week or 2 period of an extra 300 cals a day to get that metabolism firing again.

Its not rocket science going foward. It is just a little tinkering with your numbers and figuring out what works for you (everyone is different so its always hard to get down to specific numbers via the internet.)

Also, do you lift weights, maybe i missed it, i saw you said you “trained” and you talk about cardio, if you aren’t hitting the weights get on it ASAP- it will help you get to your goals and it will make you look a lot better, if you are good keep it up.

Lastly-low carb diets. There are a few approaches I would look at (This is all from memory so I might fudge a few numbers but you can search for them here and get all the info you neeD). T-Dawg 2.0 is a diet where you get <100g carb a day and most of those are right around your workout via a pwo shake-Alot of people like it and it is right on this site.

Precision nutrition is another good option to look at. Even tho I don’t think it is advertised as low carb, I brought it (well worth the $$ IMO) and its basically a diet where you avoid high GI carbs (aka lots of meats and green veggies on it). Not to mention the personalization options in the back are worth the money themselves.

CT has recently written a few articles about his transformation and carb cycling approach. It is based on your current BF and I think that as soon as I finish up this little V-Diet stint I am going to use those guidelines (the V-Diet is another option-I like to use it for its simplicity even though I think learning proper eating habits are far superior.)

Lastly, the Anabolic diet is carb cycling where you eat very low carb (<30g) for 5 days, and then load up on carbs for 2. I used it and loved it. And depending on how CT’s approach works I might go back to it.

Hopefully that was semi-coherent. I always feel like I am dragging out my posts, but if you have any questions or want more details ask.

And again-great job so far, keep it up.