Weight Loss = Loss of Power

I suggest you add some volume to your training, and start lifting real weights on squat and deadlift (you even say those are light for you, why are you not pushing them?).

You might also benefit from training your shoulders / overhead press, which could help to compensate for the loss of shoulder stabilization that comes with weight loss.

A simple ramping or pyramid rep scheme would be fine, probably 1-3 days a week (if in doubt, go with 2)… And it sounds like that’s basically what you’re doing, except you are getting very little volume - especially on the “heavy day”. Consider:-

• 5/4/3/2/1
  • 3/2/1 waves
  • 10/8/6/15
  • 5 x 5 (ramped - sets across on a cut is asking for demoralization lol)
  • 5 x 2, 2 x 10

…and so on. Basically, concentrate on creating a solid training stimulus and getting work done, along with lifting the most you feel you can that day; don’t feel you need to increase weights every session, but try to if you feel you can.

As you’re training with just those main lifts, it’s unlikely excessive volume will be your problem, even on a cut. Just don’t go mad with the decline bench on top of flat, and go by feel to some extent.

You CAN focus on bench strength and fat loss, and why Jim Wendler feels the need to be so miserable and disheartening I don’t know :grin:. Just keep working and remember how many things you haven’t optimised that the hypothetical “strongest lifter in the world” would have… So many ways you can add another 10lbs to your bench until it adds up to something massive. So what you’re losing weight? I bet you could gain 30lbs purely from technique, never mind anything else.

Good luck!

1 Like