T Nation

Weight Loss and Diet

Beginner here looking for some help. I am a 31 year old male and stand 6'5" 245lbs. Looking to drop a minimum of 20 pounds by years end. I have a lower back injury that prevents me from doing much heavy lifting and virtually no bending or lower body weight lifting. I have severe disc degeneration of the discs L1 thru S1. I have have started to do cardio at my fitness center at work. I am doing 30 minutes on a recumbant bike and 30 minutes on the treadmill with 4% grade at 3 mph. I also am doing some light lifting with lots of reps just to heep my heart rate up.(don't know if I should be or not). My diet has consisted of:

Breakfast:

1 cup oatmeal with bluberries
1 slice whole wheat toast(no butter)
2 eggs
20g low carb Metabolic Drive protein shake

Snack:

handful of almonds
1 cup 2% cottage cheese
piece of fruit

Lunch:

2 cups of garden salad(no dressing)
1 can tuna(in water)
20g protein shake

Snack:

handful of almonds
1/2 grapefruit

Dinner:

4oz chicken breast
1 cup brown rice
1 cup vegetable
2 slices tomatoe

Then before bed I usually take in 20g protein shake with 1/2 grapefruit. I am also taking 1000mg of fish oil 3 times a day along with 2 glucosamien, condroitin 1500mg per. Preworkout I take 20g protein and then post workout I am taking another 20g protein with 3 scoops of Surge recovery. I am taking 2 GNC mega mens sport mulitvitamins along with 2 capsule of Curcumin 500 daily. I am just lookng for some opinions from someone with more knowlege than me. I have been told that I need to "cut" then build muscle. I know that losing the weight and strengthening my core muscles will help my back somewhat, so really for now that is my goal is to shed the pounds. Overall goal is to be down to 225 by Jan 1 2011.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. What am I doing right/wrong?

Good read!

Start moving some weight and adding muscle. Do what you can do.