T Nation

Weight Lifting for 400m

Hey all im a college Sophmore and run the 400 meter dash. This last offseason I focused mainly on powerlifting and saw great results. I am 5’10 160llbs and can squat 260, deadlift 415, and run my 40m dash in 4.65( i know i need to clean but i train at 24hr fitness and its just bullshit there ). My question is whether or not I should continue to powerlift during my seasons training. My legs will be going through much more stress, hill sprints and 25mile weeks of distance running. Should i continue to strength train or should I lift in high repetition? Thanks.

Continuing to lift heavy is important, but you don’t want to over tax your body in season. Something like 531 without going for max reps might work well for you.

Talk to your S&C coach?

Seriously though, learn to cycle your training. Pre season, in season, post season and off season. All four have different goals.

But yea, continue to train, if you are in season, your training is not about PR’s in the gym. It’s about maintenance.

do you want to be a good runner, or a good powerlifter?

when you answer this question, devote all your energy to be better at the one you choose. you want to be average at best, do both…

I would focus on 2 gym workouts a week- focusing on squats,deadlifts,presses,pulls and alot of core work…also look into adding dynamic gym work…look up Dynamic method by westside barbell

[quote]spk wrote:
do you want to be a good runner, or a good powerlifter?

when you answer this question, devote all your energy to be better at the one you choose. you want to be average at best, do both…[/quote]

It’s obvious you have never trained for track.

Relative strength is the main goal for a sprinter. I do the decathlon and lift very heavy, and it will always help you as long as you dont eat too much, and as long as you put your track training first. If you do those 2 things, then there is no way you can lift too much. Anyone who tells you too be worried about bulking up is an idiot, there is no way you will get bulky doing 300m sprints and what not along with eating healthy. Just focus on lower reps, and explosive work, along with the plyometrics/track work.

Thanks guys who know what your talking about, I know who you are. Any other tips are greatly appreciated

Its not about how much you can do, its about how much can you can recover from. Keep your workouts short, have a purpose in what your doing, don’t waste time or energy doing exercises that have nothing to do with enhancing your performance, ie chest flyes, cable bicep curls etc. Your not bodybuilding, your not powerlifting, your training to enhance your performance as a track athlete.

Do some research on some of the authors who right articles for T.
Mike Boyle and Dan John.
Also look into people like Charlie Francis…

but whatever you find, discuss it with your coach before doing it.

why dont you ask your college coach? whay ask strangers on a public forum. your coach knows your weak points and strong points, not strangers on here… ask him for a program to follow.
very strange he dosent have you on a program year round. a program to make you better at the 400…
strange…