TnT's Forward Momentum!

Update - like a kid with a new toy, I couldn’t resist loading my little spinlock bar with the new plates…

It held 315 with no problem!!! I’m totally stoked. The bar is level with my ankles; at this deficit, 315 feels like 335-345 with 45-pound, Olympic plates. I plan to do 4 x 2-4, starting at 295 and adding 10 pounds per jump. Afterwards, presumably in a couple-few months, I’ll start chopping away at mid-range rep sets, eventually working to 4 x 10 or a nasty set of 20+.

Deadlifting just became much more exciting.

5 Likes

Hey man, been lurking in your log awhile, but based on your recent discussions with @jdm135, I’ve learned we’re more similar than I realized—same age, similar stats, 1/2/3/4 plate goals, etc. Still along for the ride in here, but just thought I’d pop in to say, “Hello!”

2 Likes

Howdy, Sven! Nice to e-meet you. Which is your log? I’ll enjoy seeing how you’re training, too.

Edited to add - your log was the first suggestion in the list beneath mine. I’ll post then catch up with what you’ve already done.

1 Like

8/31/21, Tuesday

Road/trail ruck

• 1.75+ mi, 35:52, 487+ ft ascent/ descent
  • 26.4 lbs pack weight, low hikers/ Fox River quarter crew socks. Pain in lower leg throughout the ruck.
  • My phone kept dropping the GPS signal, so distance and elevation gain/lost are inaccurate.
2 Likes

9/1/21, Wednesday

Trail ruck

• 41:52, 2.34 mi, 576 ft ascent/ descent
  • 27.2 lb pack weight, mid hikers/ Fox River quarter crew socks
  • Despite lengthy rain today, my leg felt great.

Happy September, y’all!

3 Likes

9/5/21, Sunday

Road walk

• 1:08:30, 3.51 mi, 777 ft ascent/ descent
    A pleasant walk with my niece. Next up: deadlifts. A few hours later:

Deficit deadlifts

• 135 x 5
  • 165 x 5
  • 195 x 5
  • 225 x 5
  • 255 x 5
  • 285 x 4 x 4
  • 235 x 10

Walking lunges w/ DBs

• 25s x 3 x 8, supersetted with

Single calf raise w/ DB

• 20 x 3 x 12

Rear delt flyes

• 20 x 3 x 10
5 Likes

9/6/21, Monday

Jog-walk intervals

• 32:38, 2.45 mi

Slow. Very. At least I learned exactly where yesterday’s deadlifts, lunges, and calf raises made me sore (glutes) and fatigued (everywhere else.) Hopefully I’ll soon be able to train my upper body again.

2 Likes

9/8/21, Wednesday

Trail walk

• 2.1 mi, time not kept
2 Likes

9/10/21, Friday

Trail walk

• 33:35, 2.07 mi, 535 ascent/ descent
3 Likes

9/11/21, Saturday

Hilly road/trail walk

• 1:10:29, 4.25 mi, 958 ft ascent/ descent, 8lb hydration pack
3 Likes

As much hiking as you do I thought I’d tell you my plans!

Next week I’m headed to Utah to hike in canyon land and arches. I’ve never hiked before so it’s all new lol haven’t made any concrete plans for arches yet, but so far I’m definitely doing chesler loop trail and Druid arch in canyonland (needles district).

I’ve got an osprey bag, altra trail shoes, a safety whistle (lol), a fancy $70 UV long sleeve shirt, basic first aid kit and a subscription to Alltrails so you could say I’m quite the hiker :joy:

You ever been to those two parks? Any pointers?

1 Like

Heck yeah, you’ve got a great trip ahead! I’ve never hiked Arches, but friends and family have, and it looks beautiful. And HOT. And dry. Are you backpacking (spending days and nights away from your vehicle and civilization, living out of the items in your pack); car camping (driving to a camping spot, pitching a tent, and going on hikes then returning to your campsite and car) or day hiking then returning to a hotel? Where you’re staying will donate the gear you need to some extent. Whichever type of excursions you’re taking, I advise:

1. stay on the trails. Especially in canyons, it’s REALLY easy to lose cell and GPS signal, and the terrain all looks alike. Getting lost is easy, and not something you want to do.
  2. take more water than you think you’ll need. And even more. I drink at least a quart an hour, likely more when it’s hot. For a day hike where all you have is in your pack, I would take a gallon of liquids, 3/4 just water and 1/4 electrolyte replenishment like Gatorade or Body Armor (my preference.) I’d also pick up a box of electrolyte tablets from Walmart or similar and put several in the first aid kit.
  3. bring food for sure. Protein bars, jerky, trail mix, apples, it’s all good. Some things will melt, but they’re still edible.
  4. Have you broken in your shoes? If not, wear them every day as long as possible before your trip. Even if they’re broken in, bring something comfortable to change into, like a proven pair of running shoes. Do you have specific socks you can walk distances in? Bring them. Good shoes and socks are crucial for hiking. Along those lines, if you’re hiking for hours, bring an extra pair of socks to change into while drying the sweat from the first pair. And speaking of sweat -
  5. blisters happen, so buy a couple packages of moleskin from Walmart, Walgreens, etc. and put them in your first aid kit. If you feel a “hotspot” on a foot, stop and cut a piece of moleskin from the larger piece, then stick it directly on your skin where the blister’s forming. Then, continue hiking. Moleskin can be a trip saver and safety net.
  6. bring any standard meds you take, and keep taking them as normal. Also bring extra OTC pain meds like ibuprofen or acetominophen (Tylenol), decongestant, antihistamines, etc.
  7. bring a good cutting tool or two. The wilderness survival training I took required us to have a solid fixed blade knife on our person (belt) all waking hours in the wilderness. If you don’t have a fixed blade knife, a good folding knife and multitool are a good combo. Swiss Army Knives have fantastic scissors, which are great for cutting moleskins.
  8. bring sun protection! With no humidity, it’s easy to scorch out here, and desert sunlight can literally become blinding. Wear sunscreen, sun glasses, and a hat with a brim to shade your eyes.
  9. desert nights are usually 30* to 40* cooler than the day. A hot 90* day can easily drop to a relatively chilly 50* night, so bring a warm layer of non-cotton socks, a light beanie, a light thermal shirt, a tight-knit hoodie that can insulate and block wind, and something for your legs.
  10. bring basic fire-starting equipment, like waterproof matches, a lighter, and some tinder; cotton balls saturated in Vaseline (petroleum jelly) stuffed into an empty medicine bottle are fantastic tinder.
  11. bring a solid water bottle, in addition to any light plastic bottles you have. I like a single-wall, stainless steel bottle like Kleen Kanteen, in case I need to boil water in a fire to purify it.
  12. last item so I don’t overwhelm you! Haha. From an outdoor gear supplier, get a box of water purification tablets. In case you run out of water and there’s a stream nearby, you can purify the water with the tablets.

Have a fantastic trip, and post pics when you’re able!

General hiking info:

Ten essentials gear list:

@wanna_be which is your log? I wanna check out your training, because your pics indicate it’s working!

2 Likes

If you’re into mellow, upbeat EDM, this is an excellent workout mix:

9/12/21, Sunday

Lying leg curls

• 50 x 15
  • 75 x 10
  • 100 x 7
  • 75 x 8

Squats

• 75 x 10
  • 125 x 2
  • 145 x 2
  • 165 x 2
  • 185 x 2
  • 205 x 2
  • 225 x 2, 2, 2, 2
  • 185 x 8
  • 145 x 12
    I haven’t squatted in a couple weeks, and it shows. My legs were tired, so I stayed at 225 and will until I squat it 4 x 4. The two drop sets were really beneficial in the summer, so they’re back.

RDLs

• 165 x 6
  • 185 x 6
  • 205 x 2 x 6, supersetted with

C/S rear delt flyes

• 20 x 4 x 8

V-Ups

• bw x 3 x 18, supersetted with

Standing single calf raises w/ DB

• 20 x 3 x 13
3 Likes

I would add spare laces and some ducktape. I stick the duck on my back pack or walking stick, so I don’t drag a full roll.
You can fix a lot of broken equipment with tape and laces.

1 Like

Good point! Gorilla Tape works well, too. I like to carry at least 25 feet of 550 cord, which substitutes for spare laces.

1 Like

Goodness gracious man! What a reply!!! Thank you for taking the time to write that out, there are definitely a few things I had not thought about!

I will be hopefully staying in the Airbnb every night lol I’m gonna be pissed if I’m not. Because of how far I’m planning on going and because of how little I know, I am packing like I’m spending the night (minus sleeping bags and stuff) just incase I get lost.

As soon as I hit “reply” I’m going to check out those links, but I’ll definitely be coming back to check your list against what I’ve got!!

Ok so here is my training journal, it’s gonna look like I’m crazy, and I probably am, but it’s ok :joy:

1 Like

I love 550 paracord. So many uses. Your post was long so I may have missed it. I would throw in one of those emergency rain ponchos, an emergency space blanket, and a pair of gloves.

I personally would throw in some instant coffee singles, salt, and a small tarp as well…
Because we are talking hypotheticals here of getting lost. I doubt our friend is going that far off the beaten path, but shit happens.

2 Likes

Is this a challenge? :joy:

No sir! That’s pretty tough country out there. Beautiful but rough. Just remember Aron Ralston, the guy that cut his own arm off to survive.

If that’s not enough you can go a little ways north and see the Hole in the Rock. Let me know if the scary donkey is still in there :rofl:

2 Likes