Hilly desert jog-walk

• 36:26, 2 laps long, paved hill, 2 laps steep dirt hill
3 Likes

6/17/21, Thursday, Ruck

Road/trail ruck

• 56:12, around 3.8 miles
  • Approx. 25-pound pack

3 Likes

Looking a bit winded! Haha. I only paused once (for around 15 seconds) to snap a couple pics.

5 Likes

Did you take your trail dog?

Not this evening - it was too hot. I’ve been walking her and my beefier dog at night when it’s cooler.

I didn’t comment in your log, but you made the right choice to keep going and not get involved with that couple! There are LOTS of robbery scams going on, and that situation sounded like one.

I understand that. Summer finally made here too. We have already made to 100+ a couple of days.

I was happy to see that the cops got involved before anybody got hurt.

1 Like

6/19/21, Saturday

Desert walk

• 2.47 mi, 40:30 (ish)
4 Likes

Summer update -

I’ve been focusing on landscape work this week, which has currently taken the place of lifting. However, I plan to lift at least twice a week, doing some fundamentals that I’ve found transfer very well to activities outside of the gym.

The summer heat is still kicking my butt, and I attribute my low lifting motivation to the heat wave. It was encouraging to read that @Frank_C and @alex_uk are experiencing low motivation, too. “There’s a time for everything, and a season for every activity under Heaven.”

Last week’s hilly jog-ruck-walk outings were the cardio kick I’m needing, although it took me hours to cool down after each session.

2 Likes

Lifts with carryover to heavy landscaping work (moving and placing 3’ x 3’ concrete blocks) -

• Deficit deadlifts. The blocks sit flat on the ground, and I have to dig beneath to make handholds.
  • Power cleans. After the deadlift phase, I have to fling each block to waist height so I can lower it onto a skid.
  • Squats. Front or back, both work well; I’m currently doing back. I have to drive the blocks forward to balance them along one end, and heavy squats build necessary, sheer leg strength.
  • Heavy barbell rows. Not that I can lift the blocks, but heavy rows develop coordination between my two arms, trunk, and legs. I’ve noticed the blocks feel a little more manageable since I started barbell rows a few weeks ago.
  • Heavy overhead press. I sometimes have to push the blocks forward, and heavy OHP closely mirrors the motion.
  • Wrist curls, reverse curls, and biceps curls. My traps, forearms, and hands are torched today from breaking hard ground with a shovel. Grip and biceps lifts fight elbow tendonitis and enable me to work more effectively for longer.
  • Weighted walking lunges. Dragging the blocks calls for balance and unilateral leg strength-endurance while moving.
  • Weighted towel pullups. These develop raw pulling strength while holding an awkward object.
  • Incline bench press or weighted pushups. Complements the heavy OHP.

With all these taxing lifts, building a schedule of twice-weekly lifting will be interesting! I can boil it down to six or seven core lifts, three or four per session, and add or skip supplementals per the evening’s energy level.

4 Likes

Funny enough I was just looking at my journal to see what was next in my rota, to turns out I haven’t deadlifted in over 2 weeks, and whilst I am definitely incredibly busy, I’m sure if my motivation was higher I’d have found time, mines not heat related afaik, it’s not overly hot a little warm but I like the heat.

As the good book says a season for everything, I’m thinking I need to push myself in to a season of training harder haha!

Hope you’re doing well apart from the motivation to train?

1 Like

6/23/21, Wednesday

Ruck

• 48:29, 2.63 mi
  • Approx. 25-lb pack
  • Mixed road and dirt trail
  • Serious hills

I might do a lifting sesh later tonight. Probably will, actually.

ETA: or not. No biggie.

2 Likes

6/24/21, Thursday

Push press

• 65 x 8
  • 85 x 4
  • 105, 125 x 2
  • 145 x 1
  • 160 x 3, 2, 3, 2

Strict, standing BB OHP

• 115 x 4 sets x 5

Push-ups, handles + feet elevated

• bw x 100 total
3 Likes

Brah. DYEL?? Ain’t no lifting like deadlifting. One lift to rule them all. Etc :grin:

I concur, a little warmth in the summer is perfect. We’ve had consistent 40* C days here, which is too hot for me any more.

Heck, if life’s not too busy - and your wife allows :grin: - I’d say go for it! Summer is the season of heavy labor.

Life’s generally looking up; thanks for asking! It sounds like things are going well for you, too?

6/25/21, Friday

Pull-ups

• bw x 65 total
  • 20:00 three EMOM, with 5 more added

Trail walk-jog

• 38:15, 2.26 miles
  • Soft sand, steep hills, and fatigued from a good, tiring week
3 Likes

These have sooo much cary over to regular stuff, stabilizing the spine and hinged hips while moving the arms and upper back.

That runs the gamut from barbells to babies and everything in between.

1 Like

Good point about the biomechanical variables involved in rows! I think they’re one of the three or four gyms lifts with the greatest transferability. I’d vote for deadlifts, lunges or squats, curls, and farmer walks being the others.

6/27/21, Sunday

Barbell rows

• 65 x 10
  • 105, 125, 145, 165 x 3
  • 185 x 5 x 5
  • 135 x 15

Barbell curls

• 65 x 4 x 9
  • 25 x 15 (DBs)

Hilly road ruck

• 43:57, 2.46 mi, 25 lb pack
3 Likes

6/28/21, Monday

BPAs - 2x red x 80

Low incline DB bench press

• 35 x 15
  • 45 x 10
  • 55, 65 x 5
  • 75 x 8, 8, 6
  • 60 x 15
    The arms on my reclaimed bench interfere with dumbbells’ and a barbell’s path, making pressing… tedious. But better than nothing!

Lateral raises, 4 sets:

• 25 x 5 / 13 x 10, supersetted with

Incline DB pec flyes, 3 sets

• 30 x 10

Push-ups, handles + feet elevated

• bw x 75
2 Likes

6/30/21, Wednesday

Lying leg curls

• 50 x 15
  • 75 x 10
  • 100 x 6