Weight Gaining Question

Reading the other thread about weight gain kind of made me think of this. So I have a question about not-so-mysterious weight.

For anybody who would like to contribute, how much heavier are you at the end of the day then at the beginning of the day? Typically I try to be about 7 or 8 pounds heavier (although on Thanksgiving I set a PR of 16 pounds… pretty proud of that) as I find that I am anywhere from 5-7 pounds lighter in the morning.

Obviously there’s quite a bit of fluctuation, but in general that has been easier for me than counting calories. When you can’t always plan your meals (especially when living at home relying on bumming free meals off the parents) or whatever, I find it’s easier to just aim to get to a certain weight.

For instance if I wake up at 218, I try to be around 225 before I go to bed. If not I usually eat a little more because I tend to undereat unless I make sure to pay attention to that.

Anybody do anything similar or am I just a fucking weirdo?

Everyone fluctuates which is why it is COMPLETELY USELESS and irrelevant to weigh yourself any more than ONCE per week.

Pick a day, like Sat or Sun morning upon rising from bed. and do it every week.

If you fluctuate by a greater percentage than most it means you hold more water at one part of the day, plus all the food you eat that builds up by pm. That’s all, simple as that. Quit weighing yourself and worry about eating more consistently and doing more sets, reps and eventually - plates.

[quote]Majin wrote:
Everyone fluctuates which is why it is COMPLETELY USELESS and irrelevant to weigh yourself any more than ONCE per week.

Pick a day, like Sat or Sun morning upon rising from bed. and do it every week.

If you fluctuate by a greater percentage than most it means you hold more water at one part of the day, plus all the food you eat that builds up by pm. That’s all, simple as that. Quit weighing yourself and worry about eating more consistently and doing more sets, reps and eventually - plates.
[/quote]

Well thanks for all the tips. I never thought about doing more sets and reps. Good tip I’ll try to squat more than the bar next time.

Anybody with anything relevant to say, please do so.

[quote]jtrinsey wrote:
[/quote]

This is a truly interesting topic. I am shocked others have not given it the attention it richly deserves. In a related vein, sometimes I drink my protein shakes in three gulps. Sometimes it’s four or five gulps.

Do others count the number of gulps they take in their protein shake with? Or am I just a weirdo?

Do you think it affects digestion? Sometimes I burp when only taking two gulps. I wonder if this means my body isn’t absorbing the protein properly?

Also, I use around 12 ounces of water for my shakes, even though the tub says to only use 8 ounces. Are these extra 4 ounces diluting the protein? Or does the extra water, causing a larger protein shake, give me sort of a super-compensatory effect?

Anyhow, fascinating stuff. I’m going to go eat my .9 banana and then measure my bodyfat with a shoe.

I took a poop the other day and it weighed 3.5 pounds. Now ask yourself, how did I weigh it?

I do this as well. As an ectomorph, it’s a way of making sure I eat a shitload of food and get plenty of water. The people responding earlier missed the point. Obviously these aren’t LBM weight gains, but that doesn’t make it irrelevant or useless. Some people seem to get a kick out of lame attempts at being witty and condescending.

[quote]half-life wrote:
I took a poop the other day and it weighed 3.5 pounds. Now ask yourself, how did I weigh it?

[/quote]

gft. that’s a manly duke right there

[quote]jtrinsey wrote:
Reading the other thread about weight gain kind of made me think of this. So I have a question about not-so-mysterious weight.

For anybody who would like to contribute, how much heavier are you at the end of the day then at the beginning of the day? Typically I try to be about 7 or 8 pounds heavier (although on Thanksgiving I set a PR of 16 pounds… pretty proud of that) as I find that I am anywhere from 5-7 pounds lighter in the morning.

Obviously there’s quite a bit of fluctuation, but in general that has been easier for me than counting calories. When you can’t always plan your meals (especially when living at home relying on bumming free meals off the parents) or whatever, I find it’s easier to just aim to get to a certain weight.

For instance if I wake up at 218, I try to be around 225 before I go to bed. If not I usually eat a little more because I tend to undereat unless I make sure to pay attention to that.

Anybody do anything similar or am I just a fucking weirdo?[/quote]

Yes, this is exactly how I put on 40 lbs in 9 months.

Its not precise because different food have different densities, therefore, 7 lbs of food one day may be less calories than 7 lbs of food the next day.

However, if you’re eating mostly the same stuff all the time, and even if your not. Over time, it all averages out and you put on weight.

It would work horribly for a clean bulk.
But if you only care about putting on weight, whether it by water, fat, or muscle. This is a GUARANTEED way to gain weight.

Its physics, your body can only give up mass at a certain rate, if you ingest mass faster than your ummm, deficate and urinate mass, your going to walk around with more mass.

Like I said, this is exactly what worked for me to go from 160 to 200 and I actually was able to stay under 15% bodyfat too.

[quote]evansmi wrote:
Like I said, this is exactly what worked for me to go from 160 to 200 and I actually was able to stay under 15% bodyfat too.[/quote]

Cool to see somebody else doing this. My summer schedule is so fucking hectic, between playing in tournaments (semi-pro level beach volleyball), practicing, lifting and work, it’s been basically unrealistic for me to try to come in with an accurate meal plan. I always eat right before bed anyway, so I just weigh myself when I brush my teeth.

If I’m under 225, I’ll eat a full-out meal. If I’m over, I’ll just eat something small. Been working for me so far. I agree that I’m not going to get under 10%bf doing this, but that’s not my goal right now. I’m young and very active so it would be almost impossible for me to get over 15%, so this seems to be an easy-to-follow plan.

Maybe in a month or two I’ll start trying to be over 230 at night… we’ll see how progress goes because obviously nothing is linear like that but hopefully I can get in the 230-240 range by the end of the year while not losing quickness or athleticism.

[quote]half-life wrote:

[/quote]

Respect. I have yet to hit a 3-pound poop (according to my scale) but am working towards it. I’m using progressive overload right now, pooping at about 85% for 3-4 poops per day. Although Chad Waterbury has me thinking that maybe I should save my nighttime poop for the following morning so I can activate more fast-twitch muscle fibers. You don’t want to have to strain the shits out, speed is key.

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
jtrinsey wrote:

This is a truly interesting topic. I am shocked others have not given it the attention it richly deserves. In a related vein, sometimes I drink my protein shakes in three gulps. Sometimes it’s four or five gulps.

Do others count the number of gulps they take in their protein shake with? Or am I just a weirdo?

Do you think it affects digestion? Sometimes I burp when only taking two gulps. I wonder if this means my body isn’t absorbing the protein properly?

Also, I use around 12 ounces of water for my shakes, even though the tub says to only use 8 ounces. Are these extra 4 ounces diluting the protein? Or does the extra water, causing a larger protein shake, give me sort of a super-compensatory effect?

Anyhow, fascinating stuff. I’m going to go eat my .9 banana and then measure my bodyfat with a shoe. [/quote]

Calilaw,

This whole condescending attitude thing only works when you’ve actually accomplished something worthwhile.

As far as I can tell, you’re a surly, somewhat fat, barely over 200lbs old guy who considers a 405 pound deadlift impressive. You’re an assclown, please stay out of my thread.

[quote]Majin wrote:
[/quote]

I disagree. I would agree that weighing yourself several times a day is useless, but once a day at consistant time and conditions (for me that’s after breakfast, before showering, and after pooping, if possible).

I find that weighing myself as described above I’m ususlly within a three pound range, established by my weigh-ins the previous five days (currently 184-186.5 pounds).

Any fluctuation within the range I’ve seen in the past five days is interpreted as NO CHANGE. If tomorrow I weighed in at 183.5 or 187 and there’s no obvious cause, such as dehydration or a huge meal the night before, I conclude there’s been a weight shift.

If you only weigh in once per week, you don’t know if a three pound chage is an increase or a flucuation.

The hard part is when my 5-day range increases (lets say to 185.5-188 pounds), is that muscle or fat gain? I wish there was an easy way to determine that.

[quote]jtrinsey wrote:
Calilaw,

This whole condescending attitude thing only works when you’ve actually accomplished something worthwhile.

As far as I can tell, you’re a surly, somewhat fat, barely over 200lbs old guy who considers a 405 pound deadlift impressive. You’re an assclown, please stay out of my thread.
[/quote]

LOL

[quote]jtrinsey wrote:
Respect. I have yet to hit a 3-pound poop (according to my scale) but am working towards it. I’m using progressive overload right now, pooping at about 85% for 3-4 poops per day. Although Chad Waterbury has me thinking that maybe I should save my nighttime poop for the following morning so I can activate more fast-twitch muscle fibers. You don’t want to have to strain the shits out, speed is key.[/quote]

LOL!

Seriously though, anybody weigh themselves right before bed and then as soon as they wake up? I’ve noticed a 3 pound change. Respiration and sweat are the only answers I can think of. Anybody else have any ideas?

[quote]half-life wrote:
Seriously though, anybody weigh themselves right before bed and then as soon as they wake up? I’ve noticed a 3 pound change. Respiration and sweat are the only answers I can think of. Anybody else have any ideas?[/quote]

I’m typically anywhere from 4-6 pounds lighter in the morning, but that’s after I take a piss. I would guess a lot of it is losing water via respiration and urination.

[quote]
Seriously though, anybody weigh themselves right before bed and then as soon as they wake up? I’ve noticed a 3 pound change. Respiration and sweat are the only answers I can think of. Anybody else have any ideas?[/quote]

Check your sheets :wink:

my cube-mate got a scale so consequently i weigh everything i do at work. today after lunch i had to piss so bad, it weighed 2#s. top that bitches! :wink:

[quote]dancar wrote:

Seriously though, anybody weigh themselves right before bed and then as soon as they wake up? I’ve noticed a 3 pound change. Respiration and sweat are the only answers I can think of. Anybody else have any ideas?

Check your sheets :wink:

[/quote]

Those damn wet dreams.