Weight Gainers/Meal Replacements

Seeking a little advice on this area of supplementation; of course i’ll be doing some research when I get a little time but any advice would be great. I’m currently a full-time student and being 6’5" and just starting up at the gym again i’m going to be eating a lot more to bulk up.

As i’m a student and this way of eating can be expensive I just wondered if a meal replacement powder or weight gain powder would be another good way to add calories to my diet without it being too expensive.

Any product recommendations or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.

[quote]Trousers wrote:
Seeking a little advice on this area of supplementation; of course i’ll be doing some research when I get a little time but any advice would be great. I’m currently a full-time student and being 6’5" and just starting up at the gym again i’m going to be eating a lot more to bulk up.

As i’m a student and this way of eating can be expensive I just wondered if a meal replacement powder or weight gain powder would be another good way to add calories to my diet without it being too expensive.

Any product recommendations or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.[/quote]

Weight gainers and meal replacement powders tend to be more expensive than real food when you look at the cost/calorie ratio. Meal replacement powders are mainly for convenience and you end up paying for it.

As for weight gainers, they tend to be primarily sugar, at least the less expensive ones, and fructose at that.

If you’re seriously considering such things, I would recommend investing in a blender.

After acquiring said blender, you should get some protein powder and throw a couple scoops in it along with some whole milk, ice cream and whatever else you think might taste good (coconut milk if using chocolate protein and ice cream is extra good). voila Cheap and easy weight gainer shake.

I’d go with a meal replacement, and just add calories to that if you need it. You can do that with oils, natty PB or fruit or something. Weight gainers tend to be full of sugar.

also keep in mind all you can eat buffets, some dont suck as much as most. In most cases 8 bucks will be the most itll cost you and places like golden corral do steak, grilled chicken, rice , etc.

While it’s not billed as a weigh-gainer or MRP, I like Metabolic Drive Complete for this.

Mix with milk and peanut butter to add calories.

[quote]HK24719 wrote:
While it’s not billed as a weigh-gainer or MRP, I like Metabolic Drive Complete for this.

Mix with milk and peanut butter to add calories.[/quote]

Is Metabolic Drive complete not an MRP?

Buy a protein, buy whole milk, buy peanut butter. That’s a great, tasty, and affordable weight gainer.

If you really want to get fancy, go out and get a blender (you can find really good ones for $20-40). Get oatmeal, and mix that in too.

I say make your own. I’m kind of in your position as well. If I bought enough food on campus to fulfill my bulking needs, my food bill would exceed the cost of my tuition & books. I’m at school all day, so if I’m not carrying it to school, I’m not eating it, and there’s only so much I can bring on my motorcycle. I’m just planning on adding dextrose to my shakes and carrying around a jar of peanut butter for extra calories.

As for bulking at home, eat real food.

Protein powder, olive oil, peanut butter, milk and oats can all be used in making your own cheap effective weight gainer. Just mix ingredients in a blender. This will be much cheaper than buying a weight gainer and will have plenty of quality cheap calories,

Weight gainer = Metabolic Drive Complete in milk with whatever other calorie boosting additive you wish. My morning shake usually has a banana, an apple, broccoli, blueberries, and Superfood blended together. I also take my first FA3 and Flameout serving with this shake.

D

[quote]Ironwarrior25 wrote:
Protein powder, olive oil, peanut butter, milk and oats can all be used in making your own cheap effective weight gainer. Just mix ingredients in a blender. This will be much cheaper than buying a weight gainer and will have plenty of quality cheap calories,[/quote]

This but you don’t need the blender if you don’t use the peanut butter. Just make the shake in a normal blender ball shaker and let it sit for awhile so the oats suck up the chocolate or w/e flavor you want. Personally I like coconut oil over olive oil since you use all of the fat as energy and don’t store it.

[quote]bonerjams98 wrote:
also keep in mind all you can eat buffets, some dont suck as much as most. In most cases 8 bucks will be the most itll cost you and places like golden corral do steak, grilled chicken, rice , etc. [/quote]

Keep in mind this is a college student. 8 bucks is like 20 to you or me. Buffets aren’t gonna cut it. Protein shakes with high calorie milk and buttery baked potatoes will cost $2 and give him plenty of protein, fats, and quick carbs to add size. There’s endless possibilities if he can cook at home,

dnlcdstn, good point. Someone that’s asking if he can save money by using weight gainer shakes isn’t going to want to waste money at a restaurant. I know I don’t. If I can’t buy my food in bulk sizes online or at Costco, it’s too expensive for me.

[quote]ebomb5522 wrote:
Buy a protein, buy whole milk, buy peanut butter. That’s a great, tasty, and affordable weight gainer.

If you really want to get fancy, go out and get a blender (you can find really good ones for $20-40). Get oatmeal, and mix that in too. [/quote]

This.

I bought a magic bullet in Febuary and it was a very wise investment, four easy-to-clean cups that you can blend shakes in. It’ll run you about $55.