Weight Gainers: Good or Bad?

I know, I know. The commonly held view on “weight-gainers” on this site is that they are crap. This specific weight gainer however: MHP up your MASS, has only 1 gram of sugar! I know I could try to eat 5,000 caleries a day, but I’d damn kill myself. It is not easy!!! What does everyone think about this specific weight gainer?
Thanks,

Ivan

list it’s ingrediants.

Eat more food. Specifically, add more fats to your diet and you won’t have any problem upping the calories.

We just had this discussion about a week ago. Do a search.

Make shakes. Use milk and ice cream. Add peanut butter. Maybe flax seed. Drink 4 a day in addition to 3 meals.

If you can’t grow with that, get your thyroid/GI checked.

What’s In It?
Supplement Facts:

Serving Size: 4 Scoops
Servings Per Container: 17

Amount Per Serving:

Calories: 510
Total Fat: 11g
Saturated fat: 2g
Cholesterol: 2mg
Sodium: 435mg
Total Carbohydrates: 58g
Dietary fiber: 10.5g
Sugars: 1.5g
Protein: 46g

Vitamin A: 60%
Vitamin C: 60%
Calcium: 128%
Iron: 46%
Vitamin D: 60%
Vitamin E: 60%
Thiamin: 60%
Riboflavin: 60%
Niacin: 60%
Vitamin B6: 60%
Folic Acid: 60%
Vitamin B12: 60%
Biotin: 60%
Pantothenic Acid: 60%
Phosphorus: 102%

Ingredients:
GLYCEMIX-LG Low Glycemic Carbohydrate Blend (barley, oats, oat fiber), PROBOLIC Sustained Release Protein Matrix (Supro soy protein isolate [with calcium phosphate and lecithin], calcium caseinate, whey protein concentrate), leucine, isoleucine, valine), safflower oil creamer (safflower oil, corn syrup solids, sodium caseinate (a milk derivative), dipotassium phosphate, mono and diglycerides, lecithin, tocopherols, natural flavor, silicon dioxide (anti-caking agent), natural and artificial flavor, Lipid Complex (medium chain triglycerides, Essential Fatty Acid Blend [borage seed oil powder (GLA), flaxseed powder (ALA), omega III complex (EPA & DHA))], Gum Blend (xanthan gum, cellulose gum, carrageenan), silica, acesulfame potassium, salt, Vitamin Pre-Mix, Sucralose, Banaba Leaf Extract (Lagestroemia speciosa).

BZZT.

Go to the Aritcles section and look for “Poison Protein”.

Hell, I’ll do it for you…

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459516

After that, read all the stuff in the nutrition section that you can. Start here:

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=629609

It’s definitely one of the better ingredients lists I’ve seen on a weight gainer but it still isn’t that great. Why not just make your own with all natural ingredients? You can easily make 1,000 calorie shakes with a couple bananas, protein powder, peanut butter, oatmeal, berries, etc.

Randman, I was thinking that about the ingredients list too (although there’s just way too much stuff), until I ran into the part where soy protein is the first listed protein.

[quote]michaelv wrote:
Randman, I was thinking that about the ingredients list too (although there’s just way too much stuff), until I ran into the part where soy protein is the first listed protein.[/quote]

Is the fact that there’s soy protein as the first ingrediant that bad? Should that info. alone stop me from buying the weight gainer? (and yes, I’ve read the article on soy, and I realize it’s not great, but if I’m only having one serving per day, it can’t hurt me can it? Thanks

ANyone here of this product: ProPeptide Mass Building Formula? I’m thinking abot taking it.

It has no sugar (artificial or real), has multple types of protein, and has a good amount of caleries.

For someone who is going off to college and won’t have time to make shakes, is this my best bet? Thanks,
Ivan

Nutrition Facts

Serving Size: 3 Scoops (~145 g)
Servings per Container: ~15

Amount per Serving

% Daily Value

Calories 550
Calories from Fat 45
Total Fat 5 g 7 %
Saturated Fat 1 g 5 %
Cholesterol 40 mg 13 %
Sodium 350 mg 17 %
Potassium 350 mg 11 %
Total Carbohydrates 84 g 33 %
Dietary Fiber 2 g
Sugars 1 g
Protein 42 g 84 %
Vitamin A 0 %
Calcium 60 %
Phosphorus 42 %
Vitamin C 0 %
Iron 5 %
Magnesium 12 %

• Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000-calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your caloric needs

Ingredients: Proprietary Carbohydrate Blend (polymerized glucose, maltodextrin, rice starch, tapioca starch, potato starch), ProPeptide proprietary advanced protein blend (milk protein cultured with bifidus, acidophilus, and yogurt organisms, whey protein from high fraction concentrate and isolate, peptide bonded glutamine, egg white, hydrolyzed whey protein), proprietary metabolic fat blend (sunflower oil, medium chain triglycerides, lecithin, omega 3 fatty acids), dutch cocoa, natural and artificial flavors, cellulose gum, salt, potassium chloride, aspertame, acesulfame potassium. PHENYLKETHONIRIACS: Contains phenylallanine.

Again, why not make your own? Do you think there is something special about these mass gainers that make you huuuuge? No weight gainer shake will even come close to what you could easily and much more cheaply make on your own. Milk, bananas, oatmeal, berries, high quality protein powder, cottage cheese, plain yogurt, ice, blend, drink, be huge.

[quote]randman wrote:
Again, why not make your own? Do you think there is something special about these mass gainers that make you huuuuge? No weight gainer shake will even come close to what you could easily and much more cheaply make on your own. Milk, bananas, oatmeal, berries, high quality protein powder, cottage cheese, plain yogurt, ice, blend, drink, be huge.[/quote]

Randman, he obviously doesn’t want to hear the correct answer.

Some people prefer the response they’d LIKE to hear instead of the truth.

You could check out my post on the steroid column. Then I don’t think you’ll care what sort of brand you use.

[quote]oboffill wrote:
randman wrote:
Again, why not make your own? Do you think there is something special about these mass gainers that make you huuuuge? No weight gainer shake will even come close to what you could easily and much more cheaply make on your own. Milk, bananas, oatmeal, berries, high quality protein powder, cottage cheese, plain yogurt, ice, blend, drink, be huge.

Randman, he obviously doesn’t want to hear the correct answer.

Some people prefer the response they’d LIKE to hear instead of the truth.[/quote]

…or maybe, just maybe I will ne living next year in an 8 person suit, with out a kitchen. This means that I will not have the means to make the shake like I do right now. (I won’t have a blender, and dishwasher to clean the blender [which i wont be having anyway], any food products, etc.) Because of this, I am looking for a replacement.

[quote]shwizle wrote:
or maybe, just maybe I will ne living next year in an 8 person suit, [/quote]

Damn. I have a hard time finding a suit that just fits ME well. Smurfs are funny, arent they?

I use it ocassionally. It’s not bad, mix it with milk with it’ll keep you full for about 2 hrs.

Prof, I REALLY don’t want to know where you put those smurfs while you’re wearing that suit.

Shwizle, just read the diet and nutrition articles and buy a cart-load of freakin food already. It’s going to be a lot healthier for you.

Then, if you need more, buy some Low-Carb Grow! and some Surge. BTW, both blend easily in a shaker, no blender required.

You’ve been given sound advice. If you just want people to say “yeah, dude, that’s a bitchen idea!” then you might try some other site.