T Nation

Weight Gainer as Meal Sup?

Okay, I seem to have 3 jugs of Pro Performance Weight Gainer 1850 sitting in my pantry doing nothing.

And while I’m no pro body builder I’ve just started back in the gym and am giving the “Total Body Workout” that I found here a shot. (So far, mixing in hellacious abs on the cardio days and I love it!)

I’m 5’8" and 175#'s and could stand to lose another 5#'s if I were to get rid of the middle weight keeping my lower abs from showing.

So my question is this…

I’m not too into the idea of completely bulking up, but I wouldn’t mind using the weight gainer as a meal replacement or “5th” meal during the day. My regular meals are pretty small (no junk food and only palm sized servings) and are nicely balanced.

Any ideas on this? With 1500 cal’s and only 10 cals from fat I thought a 1/2 serving (12oz or so) a day would be a nice boost in cal’s for fueling the workout while not “packing it on”.

Again, I’m no complete stranger to being fit, but I’m a total n00b when it comes to this side of it.

TIA,

ch

[quote]choyt wrote:
Okay, I seem to have 3 jugs of Pro Performance Weight Gainer 1850 sitting in my pantry doing nothing.

And while I’m no pro body builder I’ve just started back in the gym and am giving the “Total Body Workout” that I found here a shot. (So far, mixing in hellacious abs on the cardio days and I love it!)

I’m 5’8" and 175#'s and could stand to lose another 5#'s if I were to get rid of the middle weight keeping my lower abs from showing.

So my question is this…

I’m not too into the idea of completely bulking up, but I wouldn’t mind using the weight gainer as a meal replacement or “5th” meal during the day. My regular meals are pretty small (no junk food and only palm sized servings) and are nicely balanced.

Any ideas on this? With 1500 cal’s and only 10 cals from fat I thought a 1/2 serving (12oz or so) a day would be a nice boost in cal’s for fueling the workout while not “packing it on”.

Again, I’m no complete stranger to being fit, but I’m a total n00b when it comes to this side of it.

TIA,

ch[/quote]

1,500 calories per serving sounds like a great way to add body fat. If you’re going to use it, stick to post workout.

What is the carb/protein ratio? I’m inexperienced at CHOOSING to put on weight but it seems a lot of weight gainers are sugary.

If you just want extra cals/protein it may not be the best choice but as I say, I am no expert!

Jaime

Well I’ve no interest in putting on fat! :frowning:

Here are the Nut Facts as they show on the back of the jug.

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 2.5 cups (383g)

(for 7 rounded scoops in 24oz of water per serving)
Calories  1500
Calories from Fat  10

Daily Value
Total Fat (less than 1g) 2%
Sat Fat (0g) 0%
Cholesterol - 0mg - 0%
Sodium - 470mg - 20%
Potassium - 970mg - 28%
Total Carbs - 322g - 107%
  Dietary Fiber - 4g - 16%
  Sugars - 105g 

VA 25%
VC 40%
Calcium 60%
Iron 25%
VD 20%
VE 80%
Thiamin 25%
Ribo 140%
Niacin 15%
VB6 30%
Folate 25%
VB12 25%
Biotin 25%
Pantothenic Acid 25%
Phosphorus 35%
Iodine 25%
Magnesium 25%
Zinc 25%
Copper 25%

??

I’m a little confused…

19=9 calories from fat
4=1288 from carbs

Don’t quite see any protein, but even if the rest of the calories (200) come from protein (50g), this is sugar. If it’s maltodextrin/dextrose/glucose, go ahead and use some PWO (not 1500 calories worth though). Otherwise, it’s pretty much useless.

[quote]lmjudek wrote:
I’m a little confused…

19=9 calories from fat
4=1288 from carbs

Don’t quite see any protein, but even if the rest of the calories (200) come from protein (50g), this is sugar. If it’s maltodextrin/dextrose/glucose, go ahead and use some PWO (not 1500 calories worth though). Otherwise, it’s pretty much useless.[/quote]

Yah, the ingredients say maltodextrin and lots of “ose” words (glucos, fructose, etc.)

I work out from 8pm to 9pm at night and go to bed at 11:30pm to Midnight. So you think a 1/2 mix of this right after workout might be alright, eh?

105 grams of sugars? Yikes.

I’d dump the stuff! You don’t need to use it just because you have it.

You can do far better.

It depends on your weight and on what order the sugars are in. You don’t really want fructose or sucrose in there, but if the first couple of sugars are dextrose/maltrodextrin, this is better than nothing.

Definitely don’t have half the serving; that’d be overkill. Have about 0.8g of carbs per kilo of bodyweight and 0.4g of protein. Figure the rest out for yoursellf.

Thanks, guys.

I mixed a bit less than 1/2 a cup of it, threw an orange in, about 6oz of 1% milk and the remaineder of the water I drink nightly. (about 30oz)

Blended and am sipping on it while I do some wind down, email checking, and some web design for some clients. (Yay! got a new hosting client today!!)

Thanks again for the feedback.