Weight Gain/Muscle Building Help...

hi,

I am an aspiring grappler, muay thai fighter, and mixed martial artist. I am looking to build muscle and strength while minimizing bad weight.

Here’s some stuff about me…
I’m 5’8"-5’9" ish and weighed in this morning at 108lbs. I’m a 23 y.o. female. I Used to play college soccer and pro overseas but have changed athletic direction for now. I have never been able to get above 116lbs. Usually when I played soccer and was training during season I was around 104ish.

I am pretty active. i work a 9-5 office job then usually serve 15-20 hours on the weekends at TGI fridays. Tues & Thur I have A no-gi grappling class(an hour) and Tues I have a muay thai class(an hour). I will usually do one more day of grappling and another day of muay thai a week as well as 3 days in the gym lifting. I am not doing any extra cardio besides a 15-20 minute spin on the stationary bike to warm up at the gym and walking my 2 dogs 2x a day(1/4-1/2 mile). the biking at the gym is at a comfortable speed to get my heart rate up alil.

So I want to put on some muscle and I have been doing some stuff that should have results but no luck so far. Ive been doing max weight min reps at the gym for the past 6 weeks. Have seen a change in the structure of my shoulders, back, biceps, triceps, and legs but no weight gain. basically my shoulders are looking more cut but not like there’s muscle being built. I am worried I am headed to just look cut and that not what I want.

I have increased my protein intake and calories to around 3000cal a day. I am starting a food and training diary to see if I’m doing things inconsistently with workouts or food intake but that might need a week or two.

Last week I had some issues that aggravated me. Last tuesday I was excited when I stepped on the scale it said I was 113 1/2 lbs after the gym, then on Thurs. i hopped on the same scale after the same work out and I was down to 110 1/2. By Last night after grappling I was at 108 lbs. I usually dont weigh myself so often, so I have no idea if this is common or if there could be an explanation for it but it made me mad.

Maybe I am being Impatient and wanting the results I desire faster than it will actually happen but I dont know anyone who has tried to gain weight like I am, not even at my fight gym. Just looking for some general advice on supplementing and things I could be doing wrong or things that people know have worked.

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the help. It means so much to me.

Hey there liltiger!

I think the first order of business (like you mentioned) is keeping a very precise log of your food intake. With a metabolism as high as yours, and as active as you are… eating will HAVE to become your 3rd job (as if the first 2 weren’t enough ) =D

If you are consistently taking in 3000 cals a day and not gaining… you will likely have to change your macro ratios AND increase calories.

Any idea what your macro ratios are currently? Do you shoot for any particular ratios? I would imagine that someone with your genetics is very carb tolerant… so you will get to eat lots of those! =D

As soon as you get a good consistent food log, be sure to post it so we can help a little more! =D

Hi liltiger, I just wanted to say hi and that there are 2 others like yourself in the Muscle Sorority forums. Downwardog and Pch2 both have logs.

[quote]mmgalb727 wrote:

If you are consistently taking in 3000 cals a day and not gaining… you will likely have to change your macro ratios AND increase calories.

Any idea what your macro ratios are currently? Do you shoot for any particular ratios? I would imagine that someone with your genetics is very carb tolerant… so you will get to eat lots of those! =D

As soon as you get a good consistent food log, be sure to post it so we can help a little more! =D[/quote]

Good advice. Also, don’t weigh yourself any more than once a week.

I’m 5’9", but I’m 50 pounds heavier than you. I think the amount of muscle or lean body mass you carry will also depend on your genetics, like your body type, bone frame and hormone profile.

I obviously come from a long line of Russian, big-boned, mesomorphic, hirsuite farm women.