T Nation

Weight Gain in TRT


#1

Apologies if this has been addressed elsewhere in this forum.

I've experienced a significant amount of weight gain over my last 4 months on TRT with no major changes to my diet to speak of. I'm up about 20 lbs overall. My wife says I look great but I also noticed my body fat is up 7% as well for a total of 23%. Is this normal and to be expected? I last tested TT at 557 and my Estridol is in range at 22.

I'm fairly certain some of its muscle gain since my strength is up quite a bit from just a year ago. My TRT clinic says to cut my calorie count down, which is something I never really had to monitor before.

-age - 40
-height - 5'11"
-waist - 34
-weight - 205+
-describe body and facial hair - heavy growth but, no changes
-describe where you carry fat and how changed - Thighs and upper chest
-health conditions, symptoms - Asthma
-Starting TT 234 / Estradiol 47
-Current TT 557 / Estradiol 22
-PSA 0.3 ng/mL
-FSH 7.2 mIU/mL
-LH 4.7 mIU/mL


#2

Twenty pounds in a month is a huge weight gain. Care to post your diet?


#3

[quote]BrickHead wrote:
Twenty pounds in a month is a huge weight gain. Care to post your diet?[/quote]

Unless I’m misreading, I believe he had the 20lbs over 4 months, with a (purportedly) steady diet.

5’11" at 205lbs is by no means an unreasonable weight to maintain, so it may be that you are carrying it well. What about other things in life: stress? Personally, I was very stressed when I started having to do TRT, as it’s just a big, long-term life change. I was in my early 20s and didn’t experience any type of weight gain effects, but at your age and such, I could imagine that happening.


#4

[quote]MinusTheColon wrote:

[quote]BrickHead wrote:
Twenty pounds in a month is a huge weight gain. Care to post your diet?[/quote]

Unless I’m misreading, I believe he had the 20lbs over 4 months, with a (purportedly) steady diet.

5’11" at 205lbs is by no means an unreasonable weight to maintain, so it may be that you are carrying it well. What about other things in life: stress? Personally, I was very stressed when I started having to do TRT, as it’s just a big, long-term life change. I was in my early 20s and didn’t experience any type of weight gain effects, but at your age and such, I could imagine that happening.[/quote]

Yes. I meant four months.


#5

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

[quote]MinusTheColon wrote:

[quote]BrickHead wrote:
Twenty pounds in a month is a huge weight gain. Care to post your diet?[/quote]

Unless I’m misreading, I believe he had the 20lbs over 4 months, with a (purportedly) steady diet.

5’11" at 205lbs is by no means an unreasonable weight to maintain, so it may be that you are carrying it well. What about other things in life: stress? Personally, I was very stressed when I started having to do TRT, as it’s just a big, long-term life change. I was in my early 20s and didn’t experience any type of weight gain effects, but at your age and such, I could imagine that happening.[/quote]

Yes. I meant four months. [/quote]

I pointed out the distinction only because 20lbs in four months isn’t entirely unreasonable. That’s something like a pound a week or so.


#6

What is your TRT in detail?

This seems impossible:
-Starting TT 234 / Estradiol 47
-Current TT 557 / Estradiol 22
-FSH 7.2 mIU/mL
-LH 4.7 mIU/mL

FSH and LH should go to zero unless you are taking a SERM.

Please read this sticky:

  • advice for new guys — and note the first paragraph

Thyroid problems can drive weight gain.

Labs:
TT
FT
E2
LH/FSH
prolactin
E2
AM cortisol
vit-D25
CBC
hematocrit
fasting cholesterol
fasting glucose
A1C
AST/ALT
TSH
fT3
fT4 [please not T3, T4]

You did not respond to all issues I presented in your first thread. We are back to thyroid and metabolism again, with iodine and selenium concerns.

How are you feeling in terms of energy and libido?
Are you doing resistance training or cardio?


#7

[quote]MinusTheColon wrote:

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

[quote]MinusTheColon wrote:

[quote]BrickHead wrote:
Twenty pounds in a month is a huge weight gain. Care to post your diet?[/quote]

Unless I’m misreading, I believe he had the 20lbs over 4 months, with a (purportedly) steady diet.

5’11" at 205lbs is by no means an unreasonable weight to maintain, so it may be that you are carrying it well. What about other things in life: stress? Personally, I was very stressed when I started having to do TRT, as it’s just a big, long-term life change. I was in my early 20s and didn’t experience any type of weight gain effects, but at your age and such, I could imagine that happening.[/quote]

Yes. I meant four months. [/quote]

I pointed out the distinction only because 20lbs in four months isn’t entirely unreasonable. That’s something like a pound a week or so.[/quote]

If natural or on TRT with normal T values, that would be a lot of fat gain considering no one is building near that amount of muscle at that rate.


#8

It might be water gain. At about 8 weeks I was up ten pounds that I slowly lost over the next six weeks. As I recall, it crept up pretty fast in weeks 7 and 8.