T Nation

Weight Gain Confusion

Hey guys

Some of you know me, some of you don’t. I haven’t really posted in a long time because I wasn’t doing anything different. However, in these three months that have gone by since my last posts really, I have put on about 20lbs :smiley: However, I just have some quick questions and stats

Before: 5’ 11" 117lbs
After: 5’ 11" 135.5lbs

Bench: 135x1 to 160x1
Squat: 135x1 to 235x1
Deadlift: nothing to 180x5

Anyways, my weight gain has been going like this
Two weeks weight stays the same, third week it goes up 2-3lbs.

Is this normal?

I am staying somewhat lean during this bulk, look better at this weight and enjoy it and would like to reach ultimately 150lbs (first goal), ultimately around 185 (I have a small frame)

How long should I alot myself to gain these 15lbs…meaning how much weight should I shoot for a month for it to be mostly muscle

Also regarding supplements:

I currently am taking ON 100% Whey, Surge, Biotest Creatine, and some Wal-mart fish oils. I was planning on ordering again soon from Biotest and was wondering if I should just order a shit load of Surge again and a container of creatine and then get my Fish oils from another site (something better than Wal-mart) because Flameout is a tad expensive

Thanks guys

First off congrats on your sucess so far!

But I’am going to assume you’re fairly young.

Don’t worry so much about staying clean, you’re bulking right? Not getting ready for a compitition, so enjoy it and get strong.

You can always cut excess fat after you first gain some muscle. 150 pounds is a good goal, but in all honesty it isn’t big at all.

As for normal weight gain anything from .75 - 1 pound a week is fairly normal, I read it in an article but it eludes me.

At this point I would just suggest working hard and eating shit loads of food.

[quote]xb100 wrote:
First off congrats on your sucess so far!

But I’am going to assume you’re fairly young.

Don’t worry so much about staying clean, you’re bulking right? Not getting ready for a compitition, so enjoy it and get strong.

You can always cut excess fat after you first gain some muscle. 150 pounds is a good goal, but in all honesty it isn’t big at all.

As for normal weight gain anything from .75 - 1 pound a week is fairly normal, I read it in an article but it eludes me.

At this point I would just suggest working hard and eating shit loads of food.[/quote]

And yes its normal weight gain wont be linear its going to go in spurts if I stall and up intake ill gain uber quick and then slow etc. if you stall more then two weeks do something

Phill

Nice work on your progress. Here’s my recommendation in terms of the supps you should order from Biotest:
Metabolic Drive Complete
Surge
BCAA’s
Creatine

In terms of your nutrition plan, I would check this article out by Cy Willson: http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459839

What does your training split look like?

I was following a Total Body routine for 10 weeks. It was basically the squat, bpress and deadlift split. Now my personal trainer (who trains many young athletes and in my opinion knows what he is talking about) has me on a four day split with upper body/lower body with lots of shoulder work on lower body days as well as split squats thrown in on upper body days. Working out 4 days a week, right now for the first 4 weeks everything is 3-4 sets of 12, so shit load of volume opposed to my total body workout which had low volume but extremely high intensity. So I am still adjusting (basically just lowered the weights these last two weeks a lot and working on perfecting my form in order to surge muscle growth)

Would Metabolic Drive Complete really be a good investment?

Would I split up the servings to make it last longer or what? Caus right now I am just taking 2 whey shakes a day and Surge PWO (whey breakfast and pre-workout)

And thanks for all the answers guys, I really appreciate it.

Also, what are your opinions on my lifts? what is a reasonable goal for bench press and squat (Seeing as how I have those forms down pretty good and Deadlift I am still struggling with)

[quote]friedrice683 wrote:
I was following a Total Body routine for 10 weeks. It was basically the squat, bpress and deadlift split. Now my personal trainer (who trains many young athletes and in my opinion knows what he is talking about) has me on a four day split with upper body/lower body with lots of shoulder work on lower body days as well as split squats thrown in on upper body days. Working out 4 days a week, right now for the first 4 weeks everything is 3-4 sets of 12, so shit load of volume opposed to my total body workout which had low volume but extremely high intensity. So I am still adjusting (basically just lowered the weights these last two weeks a lot and working on perfecting my form in order to surge muscle growth)

Would Metabolic Drive Complete really be a good investment?

Would I split up the servings to make it last longer or what? Caus right now I am just taking 2 whey shakes a day and Surge PWO (whey breakfast and pre-workout)

And thanks for all the answers guys, I really appreciate it.

Also, what are your opinions on my lifts? what is a reasonable goal for bench press and squat (Seeing as how I have those forms down pretty good and Deadlift I am still struggling with)[/quote]

Hey man, that’s good your following a routine with heavy compounds as the foundation.

Metabolic Drive Complete would be a great investment, check out TC’s article on it that ran yesterday. Overall it will give you more calories than a shake that just has protein alone.

Definitely read that article by Cy Wilson I sent you the link to for your nutrition program, I think it’ll serve you well considering you’re 5’11 and about 140.

Also, considering you should be packing in the calories, I’d invest in some digestive enzymes, Omegazyme is a good brand. Also, an enteric coated Probitoc and enteric coated fish oil could do you well. Search Mike Rousell’s articles, as he recommends a good brand in one of his articles in terms of a probiotic. For Fish oils, I use Fisol, one cap with each meal; no fish burps.

Just keep after it in the gym.

Congrats on the weight gain (you were really damned skinny before!).

I don’t know about the rest of your questions, but I find that when I gain weight, it’s in much the same pattern. Nothing will happen for 3-4 weeks, then one week I’ll gain anywhere from 1 to 3 pounds. Then it’ll peter out again.

You also have to be a bit careful about when you weigh yourself, since your weight can fluctuate 2 or 3 lbs per day just going through the normal course of life. The only reason I was able to notice was because the gym I went to at the time had a scale, and I always weighed myself right before training, and I always trained at the same time of day.

The body is not linear. Nothing you do or learn will be in a linear fashion, but your investments will have great returns.

Hey guys

Just posting on some questions on the supplements:

If I were to get Metabolic Drive Complete, that would add another 30$ roughly to my monthly or even 60$ to my monthly supplement cost

So far I mean I am taking Surge, ON Whey, Fish Oil and creatine. My bill is already 40-50$+ a month. Still get Complete and when do I take it…?

Thanks guys

Your 5’11 and 135lbs. You don’t need supps right now, you just need to eat a lot and lift.

SQUATS AND MILK.

Good job on your progress. Keep on going.

I’ll leave the advice for others.

It’s great to hear that you’re making progress and enjoying it. Keep it up!

I’ve been weighing myself a few times a week and I also see that I stay about the same weight (plus or minus half a kilo) for a few days, then gain 1-1,5 kilos over a day or two. That seems normal. Also like others I find that I need to increase my intake once in a while.