Weight Gain After Severe Sickness

Well the last week has been an awful one
for me. Tonsilitis which completely
closed my throat, sent me to the hospital been here for 3 days and also
diagnosed with mono. My weight reduction looks like I have been hanging out with
the Ulson twins for the week sniffing coke in there NYU dorm and purging.
Unfortunantely I was in the hospital being fed broth 3 meals a day.

My doc says no lifting for a month due to the mono. My question here is how can I gain this weight back quick, and maybe even more in a month so when I get back in the gym I have something to work with. Anyone ever had mono and if so what did you do and what can you do? Ohhh hot nurse and sponge bath time, got to go.

Mono sucks for sure but i lifted did what i could and workout those few time you have more energy

gain weighty eat Sucka, youll likely be doing lots of sleeping sitting etc shouldnt be tough eat dense eat big if your looking to gain pb&j and milk with some Grow! in it heck that there is easily 700-800 k/cals and thats if you only use 2tblspoons pb.

the gaining weight should be pretty easy while being very inactive

Phill

Man sorry to hear of your situation. The easiest way I know to gain weight is eat more calories. If you are having problems hold stuff down because of the drugs, try some of the complete protein shakes like Grow! and mix them with whole milk for the extra fat. Just watch what goes in the old pie hole. Keep to eating clean and as you can work out. You will start to muscle up again.

Mono is definitely not a fun time but use the search engine. This has been discussed before.

Boy, I’m sorry to hear that, hunnel!!! I hope you make a quick recovery.

Between you and me, until you start working out and creating a stimulus for growth and protein synthesis, I wouldn’t try to bulk quickly. Focus on healthy eating and eat predominantly fibrous green veggies, fruit, beans, good fat (like olive oil and flaxseed oil) and protein. Unfortunately you’ll probably have to wait until you get back home because hospitals don’t cook that way or offer bodybuilding fare.

I guess what I’m saying is focus on eating healthy, stay away from the starchy/sweet/bad carbs. You’ll gain weight, just the fact that you’re eating again. Let nature take its course. Eating starchy carbs (like oatmela, sweet ptotatoes, yams, brown rice and/or whole wheat pasta) in conjunction with creating a stimulus for growth is a very powerful combination. Focus on your health and eating right now. Listen to your body. And then when you can work out again, then you can do some hard-core bulking.

[quote]hunnel wrote:
Well the last week has been an awful one
for me. Tonsilitis which completely
closed my throat, sent me to the hospital been here for 3 days and also
diagnosed with mono. My weight reduction looks like I have been hanging out with
the Ulson twins for the week sniffing coke in there NYU dorm and purging.
Unfortunantely I was in the hospital being fed broth 3 meals a day.

My doc says no lifting for a month due to the mono. My question here is how can I gain this weight back quick, and maybe even more in a month so when I get back in the gym I have something to work with. Anyone ever had mono and if so what did you do and what can you do? Ohhh hot nurse and sponge bath time, got to go.[/quote]

It’ll come back quick. I almost died 10 years or so ago due to a ruptured appendix (you’ll find more details of this in a past post of mine!).

My weight plummeted. I had a laparotomy which in dumb talk is “a foot long vertical scar down my abdomen” and was told to not do anything strenuous for 6 months - needless to say I was back in the gym after 3 months - and back in hospital a few weeks later with an incisional hernia! LOL; that’s what being too keen does to you.

Suffice to say; it does come back (I’m fitter and stronger than I ever have been). Take your time, your health is more important and as healthy lifting is to healthy people, it can be detrimental to ill people.

Take care,
-Matt