Weight Doesn't Match Body Size

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
FightingScott wrote:
I know someone whose a good guy, but he’s one of those guys who never works out his legs. He can Bench 275 at a bodyweight of 145 but he looks like he’s at a bodyweight of 185. The most work he does on his legs is maybe 200 pounds on the selector leg press.

but hey… he’s a good guy.[/quote]

Well T-Nations pre-conceived notion of someone like this is a self-obsessed frat-boy Douche-Fag. Not doing legs doesn’t mean you have a soul as black as the ace of spades. It just means your training program is fucking awful.

[quote]FightingScott wrote:
Airtruth wrote:
FightingScott wrote:
I know someone whose a good guy, but he’s one of those guys who never works out his legs. He can Bench 275 at a bodyweight of 145 but he looks like he’s at a bodyweight of 185. The most work he does on his legs is maybe 200 pounds on the selector leg press.

but hey… he’s a good guy.

Well T-Nations pre-conceived notion of someone like this is a self-obsessed frat-boy Douche-Fag. Not doing legs doesn’t mean you have a soul as black as the ace of spades. It just means your training program is fucking awful and are probably a big fat wuss. [/quote]

I finished that for you.

[quote]Spry wrote:
I keep reading here on T-Nation that if you ain’t 200 pounds then you’re a small bastard.

That may be well and good for a 6 foot tall guy but what about some who’s 5"6’ - me for instance?

Just how big should they be? I’m starting to get afraid of getting ripped and looking like a weenie.

I’m currently just shy of 155 and I can:
Bench: 165
Squat: 210
Dead: 265

Give it to me straight. Am I a small bastard?[/quote]

Those are pretty close to my numbers, and comparing ourselves to most of the guys here, I think we’re small.

[quote]rander wrote:
FightingScott wrote:
Airtruth wrote:
FightingScott wrote:

but hey… he’s a good guy.

Well T-Nations pre-conceived notion of someone like this is a self-obsessed frat-boy Douche-Fag. Not doing legs doesn’t mean you have a soul as black as the ace of spades. It just means your training program is fucking awful and are probably a big fat wuss.

I finished that for you.
[/quote]

lol

weight vs appearance is a strange thing. i see guys who outweight me by 25-30 lbs and look like they just started lifting 6 months ago. as for me, i have trouble convincing people i’m only about 160 lbs (at 5’7"). it’s just the shape of my muscles that makes me look bigger than i am. full, round muscle bellies…gotta love 'em.

I’m 5’8 191 lbs. Most people think I’m 200+ but that’s just because I’m pretty short and actually train my back and legs.

Damn. 1morerep, you’re pretty damn jacked up at 160lbs. But then again I guess height plays a major part in it as well. I hope to reach your physique in a few years which I’m sure I’ll do.

I’m already impressive looking but not as spread out as I want to be yet. I just laugh when dudes in my weight lifting class go “damn that guy is big”! I really don’t think of myself as that big, but that’s probably because I constantly look at pictures of bodybuilders and compared to them, I guess I AM huge.

This is a cool thread…

I think who ever said lack of knowledge hit it right on the head. A lot of the time too (in public), I find it’s what type of clothing people are wearing. you know those t shirts that are cut “high” up on the arm to give the illusion of bigger arms? I see those all the time on guys who are obviously trying to look bigger than they are.

I saw a guy today in the grocery store, who was f**king jacked. He was wearing a huge T shirt but his lats/and upper back were clearly visible underneath, yet most people didn’t notice him, if he would have been wearing one of those t shirts, I’m sure people would have been getting out of his way in a hurry!

[quote]1morerep wrote:
weight vs appearance is a strange thing. i see guys who outweight me by 25-30 lbs and look like they just started lifting 6 months ago. as for me, i have trouble convincing people i’m only about 160 lbs (at 5’7"). it’s just the shape of my muscles that makes me look bigger than i am. full, round muscle bellies…gotta love 'em.[/quote]

Wow. Impressive, espically at 160lbs!

I’m 164 @ 5’9 and look noting at all like that! Mind you, my bf % is a bit higher:)

[quote]sed26 wrote:
How is it that I see some guys that look like they should weight clean over 200 pounds but only weigh like 180, then there are guys that look smaller than them that weight almost twice their size?(speaking in terms of muscularity with low body fat). [/quote]

People carry weight differently, like the poster above for instance. As you progress and gain more lean mass, you’ll slowly get a feel for what bodyweight you need to shoot for to obtain a desired look. But for a lot of people, myself included, it’s a long road of adding mass and you will probably never know if you’ve reached the “ideal” weight anyway.

i feel like i look alot stronger than i really am, im 165lbs 5"10 but i look like 180. the guy posting about lbs per inch is dead on, thats the key measurement… im like 2.4 so not really up there.

the key to seeing if someones jacked is their traps, big boned husky guys who dont lift have no traps. alot of is what to look for… like when you wear a tee and its like “draped” over you and you cant see anything below the upper back and chest

I’m not talking about looks with clothing on. I’m talking about like 1more rep. Even though he’s 160 he one built dude. I know a classmate whos around 154 and 5’5 to 5’7 and he is a pretty small dude. No muscles but has a six pack so you can’t say he’s fat.

At work there’s this guy who is just 7cm taller than me.
He weights almost 90Kg while I weight 60Kg.
(And he’s not fat)
Then why may you ask…
He’s wrists are the size of my legs!
It depends mostly on bone structure.

[quote]Horazio wrote:
At work there’s this guy who is just 7cm taller than me.
He weights almost 90Kg while I weight 60Kg.
(And he’s not fat)
Then why may you ask…
It depends mostly on bone structure.[/quote]

You have tiny tiny legs. Is that really what you meant?

[quote]scottiscool wrote:
Horazio wrote:
It depends mostly on bone structure.

You have tiny tiny legs. Is that really what you meant?[/quote]

What I meant is that bones play a major role that is underestimated most of the times

I saw you are from Italy so I am assuming english is not your first language and was hoping you’d be able to clarify.

“He’s wrists are the size of my legs” Did you mean his wrist, direct under his hand is the same size as your upper thigh?

[quote]1morerep wrote:
weight vs appearance is a strange thing. i see guys who outweight me by 25-30 lbs and look like they just started lifting 6 months ago. as for me, i have trouble convincing people i’m only about 160 lbs (at 5’7"). it’s just the shape of my muscles that makes me look bigger than i am. full, round muscle bellies…gotta love 'em.[/quote]

Dang 1morerep i am 5’7" 170 and you are a heck of a lot bigger than me. I was 185 but i have cut down 15 lbs. Starting to get abs now though. I got 2 more weeks to cut then i starting back my strength program (5x5).

What are you lifts like? I can bench about 290 squat maybe 330 and dl about 315. I am thinking you got to be much stronger then me though.

I think he was referring to the lower part of his legs. I really hope. lol

To most people someone will look “big” as long as they have big arms I have found.

I am about 5’7 205 but my BF% is a little high. (I imagine I would need to weigh mid 180s to be real ripped)

I have most of my mass in my legs, glutes, back, traps, and shoulders. (train for strongman so I train to lift more weight so the muscle goes where it wants you can say.)

My biceps are very small compared to the rest of me (coming off a bicep injury doesn’t help)

so most “normal” people perceive me as big but its different I don’t know how to describe it.

People also think I am heavier 220-225 or so but thats just because I am short.

im about 200+lbs at 5.68, so I definitely have the advantage of short muscle bellies etc, myself lean would be about 175+lbs though.