Weight Classes in Track?

I always thought it would be cool to have a track event where athletes would compete according to weight class, similar to olympic weightlifting or powerlifting. It would be cool to see a lineup of sprinters weighing in the mid 200lb range using raw power to win such races as the 50 or 100meter dash. The closest thing you see to a competition like this is at the NFL combines where large dudes run the 40yd.

Okay, but…track athletes are always focused on being FAST…so it doesn’t make sense that they would weigh in the mid-200s, especially coming from normal track leagues that don’t have weight classes.

People running the 100m or whatever are focused on getting faster, they probably won’t want to focus on gaining tons of weight while trying not to get much slower just so they can win races for heavier people.

That really wouldn’t make sense. There’s not enough correlation between mass and speed. They have such a thing in distance running. Heavier runners, be it from muscle or fat or a combination, are Clydesdales and have their own category.

That is because they are at a disadvantage. Lugging around a lot of mass is difficult when running long distances. And training may be more limited too because injuries are more likely and mileage goals and other aspects must often be modified somewhat.

[quote]benchaffleck wrote:
I always thought it would be cool to have a track event where athletes would compete according to weight class, similar to olympic weightlifting or powerlifting. It would be cool to see a lineup of sprinters weighing in the mid 200lb range using raw power to win such races as the 50 or 100meter dash. The closest thing you see to a competition like this is at the NFL combines where large dudes run the 40yd.[/quote]

That is the dumbest thing that I have ever read…No wait, I take that back. Someone on another thread suggested that President Lincoln was gay. That was the dumbest thing, but you get second place.

It would destroy the essence of the sport. No thanks.

Kim Collins would dominate the <100lb weight class…

You guys don’t seem to admire momentum as much as I do. I like American football, so just imagine someone being hit by a 300lb. man running at a speed over 20 mph.

IMO, a very good idea but not practical.

I’d love to see it happen.

When I was in High school track. (15 years ago). The last event of the meet was always the weight man relay. No points awarded. Just good fun.

4 of the big guys running a 4x100 relay. Using a 12 lb shot put as the baton. The hand off’s were, shall we say, comical.

Personally, I’d like to see it.

You could call it the Clydesdale sprint. Or somehting like that. Yeah it could be whole new sport. Or sport/entertainment.

How about combining it in something like a weight class pentathlon?

100m, 400m, 800m, shot put, discus

It allows lighter athlete a competitive chance in field, and the heavier guys have a shot in track?