T Nation

Weight Class for Upcoming Competition

I have an upcoming competition on august 10th in virginia and I was trying to decide what weight class I was going to enter in.

This is my second contest, in my first I entered in the LW 175 class, not aware about the novice class and I placed 5th. Can/do I try to enter in the novice class or do I just enter in one of the regular weight classes?

Normally once you have competed in open class your not allowed to enter in a novice division. Novice division is just that for novices who have never competed before. You have so personally enter the standard classes. Besides I,would rather come in last in open division than come in first because you beat a bunch of nobodies who have zero clue about what they are doing.

That was part of the reason I decided to not compete in the 175 this time. I wanted to throw my hat in with the bigger guys…

[quote]kjmont wrote:
I have an upcoming competition on august 10th in virginia and I was trying to decide what weight class I was going to enter in.

This is my second contest, in my first I entered in the LW 175 class, not aware about the novice class and I placed 5th. Can/do I try to enter in the novice class or do I just enter in one of the regular weight classes?[/quote]

From the NAS website:

“NOVICE Division Many promoters also offer a novice division. In order to compete as a novice competitor, it must either be the first NAS Sanctioned event or the athlete could not have placed 1st â?? 3rd in a previous contest as a Novice competitor. If the athlete has competed in an open contest, he may be eligible to compete as a novice. He will need to contact the NAS State chair for the state as it is left up to the discretion of the NAS Chairperson.”

So, it sounds like you could still compete Novice. Either way, there isn’t too much of a difference in the novice and open weights on that competition, so it makes sense to just go open. I’m debating doing that contest as well.

Totally do it and win it for me. I can no longer compete in that contest because I shattered my big toe and damn near cut it on half a few days ago.

[quote]kjmont wrote:
Totally do it and win it for me. I can no longer compete in that contest because I shattered my big toe and damn near cut it on half a few days ago.[/quote]

Damn, man, sorry to hear that. Best of luck with the recovery!