Weight Class for 1st Meet, 5/3/1 Q

Hello, I am a 15 year old guy that is for sure going to do his first meet August 4th. I have been looking to compete in the 181’s, but I have gotten some advice to just continue gaining weight and just complete wherever I might fall. Thing is that if the records listed on goheavy.net are correct then I already have the national raw squat record, and could possibly hit the deadlift, and for sure hit the stat bench record.

For some reason I have been hitting 178-179 lately in the morning and am getting real nervous because I am still like 2 months out. Also since the weight ins a re a 2 hour weigh in then I don’t really want to deplete water. Do you guys think that a quick cut would be cool, or just lift where I fall.

What is your squat and dead?

National record is 358 for teen 1 181, I got 360 last month. Which was 3 months out from meet.
State squat record is 355. Says national deadlift record is 440, which is dont think is right. But mine is 425 right now 2 1/2 months out. State bench record is 245, i got 220 2months ago.

If you cut you may risk losing some strength? How much weight did you gain in the last 3 months, if you try and bulk how much strength do you think you will realistically gain in 2 months compared to how much weight you plan on putting on? Personally I would say try and maintain your current weight and work on strength development, but then again I don’t compete so my advice may not be the best.

What federation? Keep in mind that every federation has different records.

[quote]Rawteen wrote:
National record is 358 for teen 1 181, I got 360 last month. Which was 3 months out from meet.
State squat record is 355. Says national deadlift record is 440, which is dont think is right. But mine is 425 right now 2 1/2 months out. State bench record is 245, i got 220 2months ago.[/quote]

None of those seem right at all. Maybe the state federation record, but that’s common.

I don’t understand your question, are you worried that in 2 months you will be over 181.75 lbs? How fast have you been gaining weight recently? All you need to do is maintain weight/limit weight gain to about 3-4 lbs and you will be fine. Most people get nervous and loss a lb or 2 the week of the meet anyway.

Make sure you have somebody who knows what they are doing go over the rules with you or watch a meet beforehand. You can post vids of your lifts as well if you want to make sure they are legal.

Good luck with the training and the meet, it is a great sport.

Tim

You are 15…what age category is the record that you want?

If it is 15-16 year old, then I say don’t worry at all about cutting weight, just lift at wahtever weight you come in at and SFW. Then next meet, go try to break records. I never advocate cutting weight unless you are close to some sort of record of milestone–there is absolutely no point otherwise.

But if the age group is 14-15, and you might not get to take a stab at the record again as a 15 year old, then use your discretion. If you are already below that threshold you should be fine. Dont eat like a maniac until then and you should easily come in under.