Weight Class Changes in the IPF: Confirmed

[quote]burt128 wrote:
From a purely self-interested standpoint, I’m not happy. I’ve got a lot of equipment that fits me very well at 242, I’m comfortable at this weight and I have my cut and re-hydrate pretty much down. With the changes I can either go to the new 264 class or down to 231. I can’t comfortably hold 264, so that means I’m going down to 231 and getting all my gear re-sized. Bummer.[/quote]

There’s another issue… Hell, maybe the IPF got paid off by the gear industry haha

[quote]Cephalic_Carnage wrote:

[quote]burt128 wrote:
From a purely self-interested standpoint, I’m not happy. I’ve got a lot of equipment that fits me very well at 242, I’m comfortable at this weight and I have my cut and re-hydrate pretty much down. With the changes I can either go to the new 264 class or down to 231. I can’t comfortably hold 264, so that means I’m going down to 231 and getting all my gear re-sized. Bummer.[/quote]

There’s another issue… Hell, maybe the IPF got paid off by the gear industry haha

[/quote]

The IPF charges so much for approval of the equipment, maybe it decided to throw the gear makers a bone… :slight_smile:

I’m not into the new weight classes by any means, mainly because it means another set of records - the same ridiculosity seen in Olympic weightlifting. On the other hand, browsing through the IPF Agenda ( http://www.powerlifting-ipf.com/fileadmin/data/Congress/Agenda_GA_2010.pdf ) where the weight classes are proposed, it seems that approved gear will remain so for four years (p. 32). So at least there won’t be a repeat of the debacle with Metal, Crain and APT being banned for the foreseeable future.

Hm, I’m beginning to like the idea of height classes more and more tbh.

[/quote]

The thing I like about powerlifting is that at 5’ 6" I/m “tall”!

Other than the top end, which I agree could use one more at around 140kgs, I’m indifferent to the changes.

Other than the records issue, people will adapt. And there will be just as many people that didn’t fit well into the old classes as that don’t fit into these well.

I know one lifter that previously had to choose if he lifted at 110kgs or 125kgs, but his best lifting was at about 115kgs.

[quote]cheeta wrote:

[quote]pushmepullme wrote:
As I mentioned in my log, the tweaking with the weight classes combined with the new bench rules (which screw my arch) make me want to lift NASA until things are settled down in the USAPL/IPF.[/quote]

I can actually understand why they changed the bench rules since the new acceptable way does not allow for as questionable judging for the refs, Since its hard to tell on that old way wheather your ass is touching or not… so i kidna get it but it also sucks[/quote]

And now when I’m judging I need a freaking protractor to determine whether enough ass is on the bench. I disagree that the new rules will decrease questionable calls. When you look at the examples of the new rules, they are still frames and even then it takes a couple of looks. Judging the bench is already hard - as a side judge, I have to look at feet, ass, head, elbows, and the bar simultaneously.

They will just have to add an ass judge for the bench. Seriously.
BB mentioned a no lift off rule, that would concern me much more. No way I can set up with a good arch and lift off the bar too under heavy weight.

[quote]dianab wrote:
They will just have to add an ass judge for the bench. Seriously.
BB mentioned a no lift off rule, that would concern me much more. No way I can set up with a good arch and lift off the bar too under heavy weight.[/quote]

Yeah, I heard that was being looked at but hadn’t been adopted yet. I can see that one causing a lot of injuries. It’s hard enough to wear a shirt properly, but unracking a max effort and then trying to re-set your shoulders? Just scary.

[quote]Ruggerlife wrote:

Hm, I’m beginning to like the idea of height classes more and more tbh.

[/quote]

The thing I like about powerlifting is that at 5’ 6" I/m “tall”!

Other than the top end, which I agree could use one more at around 140kgs, I’m indifferent to the changes.

Other than the records issue, people will adapt. And there will be just as many people that didn’t fit well into the old classes as that don’t fit into these well.

I know one lifter that previously had to choose if he lifted at 110kgs or 125kgs, but his best lifting was at about 115kgs. [/quote]

i know someone like that, methinks he’ll be pleased.

A few things from the General Assembly

[quote]
Here are some information regarding the decisions of the 2010 IPF General Assembly

• Johnny Graham (USA) was elected as IPF Vice President

• New weight classes beginning 1st of January 2011 on international and regional level

Women: up to 43 kg (Sub-Junior/Junior); 47 kg; 52 kg; 57 kg; 63 kg; 72 kg; 84 kg; +84 kg

Men: up to 53 kg (Sub-Junior/Junior); 59 kg; 66 kg; 74 kg; 83 kg; 93 kg; 105 kg; 120 kg; +120 kg

• In connection with the new weight classes new world and regional standards will be introduced and the current record list will be frozen 31st of December 2010

* World and International records can only achieved on World or Regional championships. To achieve World and International records on national championships it is not longer valid.

• The current approved list is frozen until 31st December 2014. No new equipment will be approved.

• Decisions about Technical Rules will be made by the Executive Committee together with every 2 members of the Technical Committee, Women Committee, Athletes Commission and Coach Commission. A 2/3 majority within this group is necessary for changes.

• Bench Press:

• It was deleted: Any pronounced and exaggerated uneven extension of the arms during the lift.

• Feet movement flat on the floor/block/plates are allowed

• Impairment form is deleted.

• Probably July 2012 we host in Sweden an IPF/Eleiko World Powerlifting Classics Championship. This is an unequipped event. Information will follow.

More decisions you will find then in the Minutes, which will be published soon.[/quote]

http://www.powerlifting-ipf.com/News-Detail.63.0.html?&no_cache=1&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=641&tx_ttnews[backPid]=2&cHash=6441b7164e

I always get flagged for uneven extension. I suppose I got thrown a bone!

The whole thing is full of shit. What is the purpose of these changes? We all need a lift off to do our max bench. I have trained with taking my own weight off for awhile, but I don’t like it. I only do it for fun. This messes with all of the lifters who need a lift off for safety. PMPM I know how you must feel, O is a big archer and I can’t see this being good. The weight class changes are stupid as well. Pantera said “Let the bodies hit the floor”. It’s still Powerlifting.

BB

[quote]Big Bencher wrote:
The whole thing is full of shit. What is the purpose of these changes? We all need a lift off to do our max bench. I have trained with taking my own weight off for awhile, but I don’t like it. I only do it for fun. This messes with all of the lifters who need a lift off for safety. PMPM I know how you must feel, O is a big archer and I can’t see this being good. The weight class changes are stupid as well. Pantera said “Let the bodies hit the floor”. It’s still Powerlifting.

BB[/quote]

I don’t think I see the lift off referenced in the post above covering the decisions. I could be blind though.

waahhhh wahhhhh wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

[quote]Schmidt wrote:

what exactly do these three things mean? and what is impairment form?
so no more uneven extension calls, but what about the other 2?

[quote]ED3180 wrote:
waahhhh wahhhhh wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh[/quote]

lol

[quote]HERC410 wrote:

[quote]Schmidt wrote:

what exactly do these three things mean? and what is impairment form?
so no more uneven extension calls, but what about the other 2?[/quote]

2nd one: You can have your feet slide, but can’t lift them.
3rd one: No more medicals to get partial lockout permitted. Before there was an allowance of up to 15 degreees with a medical. Partial lockout is gone.

I don’t know the rationale. What I’m being told is that it was to bring us in line with what the IOC wanted.
I agree that there should be more heavier classes, but I’m not the one making the calls.
I’d say that there’s a bit of politics at play here; different weight classes would identify the IPF as being separate from other feds. And formally accepting raw lifting will stop a lot of the “bleeding” of new lifters to other feds (now that significant numbers are competing raw).

big thanks smokotime. wonder if there are are other rules they’ve changed. oh shit, what is my provincial qualifying total going to be now?

Never cared about weightclasses. I was happy. Just lifted with whatever bodyweight I had. Then I stopped caring about powerlifting gear and went RAW. I was even more happy. Then I decided to not compete again in the foreseeable future. I was finally 100% happy. :slight_smile:

The joy is in the daily workouts. That’s the lifestyle I enjoy. I become very happy from a PR in my basement. Just as good as any competition PR if you ask me.

But that’s probably just me. :slight_smile:

– Stallion

On one hand, this seriously fucks anyone over 200lbs. On the other hand, weight classes are stupid anyway because everyone should just be very strong.