T Nation

Weight and Strength Levels

If one wants to lose weight, how much will this effect strength levels. I weigh 195 @ 5’8" and bench 345 squat 425. I want to get down to my ideal weight of 170. How much will this effect my overall strength.

Anyone having experience with this please drop a line.

What is your body fat level? You need to concentrate on loosing body fat, NOT loosing weight. Why do you think 170 is your ideal weight? There is really no such thing as an ideal weight, there is more realistically an ideal body fat level, somewhere between 6-12 percent for males, depending on the individual.

do not trust internet BF calculators

Sorry none of us can really tell you. Its just individual depends like they said on your body, training, diet etc. and what your optimal BF level is etc.

In general your squat and bench will go down with the lower leverages and DL should stay pretty stable IF its simply BF you lose

Phill

[quote]bubarock wrote:

If one wants to lose weight, how much will this effect strength levels. I weigh 195 @ 5’8" and bench 345 squat 425. I want to get down to my ideal weight of 170. How much will this effect my overall strength.

Anyone having experience with this please drop a line.[/quote]

If you want to KEEP your muscle and also your numbers in the gym; its going to be a long process.

I Pro bodybuilder I worked out with a few summers ago told me that a “safe” amount of weight (water weight and/or fat) to lose is no more then 1lb/week. So if your 25lbs off then you got a while to go.

If your loosing more then that your more apt to be losing muscle/strength

I dropped alot of weight this summer and that happened. I went from 190-170 in 6weeks. I was weak as shit (in comparison).

Now I’m back to 194 and feeling a shitload stronger due to my clean diet and Biotest. (shameless plug)