Weighing Yourself Every Day

It’s always been my case that weighing myself daily was like watching the pot boil. It became tedious and oftentimes frustrating seeing the dial jump up and back.

I prefer every week, or better yet, every 2 weeks - taken in the morning after using the bathroom and before eating.

I like weighing in every day or two straight out of bed. Then take the lowest reading of the week, which at the moment in normally a tuesday.

The scale always seems to have a mind of its own though and when i expect it to be low, its high and vice versa! Proper mind f*ck.

My weight has a patten of going higher after my two training days. Then stays the same on the off day, then even higher after the next two training days, then after two off days it plummets about 3-4lbs to give me my drop. So it basically goes up all week, then drops lower than the week before. Sometimes it drops early and then stays the same all week? Some times it hardly moves all week then half way through the next week it drops twice?

Still over 5 weeks i’ve dropped 6lbs so guess it works out ok in the end!

[quote]ESX wrote:
I like weighing in every day or two straight out of bed. Then take the lowest reading of the week, which at the moment in normally a tuesday.

The scale always seems to have a mind of its own though and when i expect it to be low, its high and vice versa! Proper mind f*ck.

My weight has a patten of going higher after my two training days. Then stays the same on the off day, then even higher after the next two training days, then after two off days it plummets about 3-4lbs to give me my drop. So it basically goes up all week, then drops lower than the week before. Sometimes it drops early and then stays the same all week? Some times it hardly moves all week then half way through the next week it drops twice?

Still over 5 weeks i’ve dropped 6lbs so guess it works out ok in the end! [/quote]

Yeah what is that man. Why am I heaviest after big workouts? Am I retaining more fluid in my muscles or something?
I too am always lightest after off days

[quote]paulieserafini wrote:

[quote]ESX wrote:

Still over 5 weeks i’ve dropped 6lbs so guess it works out ok in the end! [/quote]

Yeah what is that man. Why am I heaviest after big workouts? Am I retaining more fluid in my muscles or something?
I too am always lightest after off days[/quote]

Well i just assumed that because i have around 250g carbs of on days, and only about 150g on off that it might play with my readings. As you are keeping carbs the same i’d have though that on the day after you’ve not trained, you’d be heavier? Its never that simple though, which is why i just take the lowest measuement of the week and wouldn’t change my macros unless i’d stalled for an extended period of time (im in no rush to lose the weight).

Agree with X. Watching a scale too closely is disastrous and causes doubt, with doubt causes unnecessary changes that could lead to self-sabotage. that’s the story of my life lol.

All good posts here. The mental aspect of thinking
'wow I weigh this much and my abs aren’t blazing" or “wow I haven’t lost a pound in two days and this has been really hard for me”, are both good examples that can lead to quitting.

[quote]paulieserafini wrote:

[quote]ESX wrote:

I too am always lightest after off days[/quote]

Same with me, i think it has to due with how much you end up drinking during your hard workouts.

I weigh myself every gym day. It’s nice to be able to see what range I’m fluctuating in. I know it changes every day, but I’m only concerned with long term progress.

I weigh myself every day. I do it first thing in the morning after a coffee and an evacuation. I then average the last seven weights over the previous week to give a running average. By choosing to average the last seven days it negates any fluctuations caused by the carb cycling diet I follow. This is extremely accuarate for me and I can see small changes in weight and adjust calories accordingly.

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
I always tell my clients to weigh themselves everyday. That way we can assess how their bodies respond to changes in carb and calorie intake. Also, it enables me to track their lowest points each week, not their ‘false weights’.

The reason why some people say not to weigh yourself every day is because of the severe fluctuation that some (most) people experience due to glycoegn, water, and intestinal ‘bulk’. If you weigh yourself once weekly, you stand a pretty good chance of getting an inaccurate impression of what’s really going on progress wise.

S[/quote]

X2

This is what ive been doing and its definitely the most accurate way to measure progress. At my weight, my body can fluctuate by about 5 lbs, without weighing myself every day its impossible to say for sure that the weights i get on the scale are TRULY accurate.

Do it every day. Useful patterns will emerge if diet & cardio is regimented enough.

If it fucks with your head, it is high time you learn to deal with it. It will make you a better BBer.

[quote]infinite_shore wrote:
Do it every day. Useful patterns will emerge if diet & cardio is regimented enough.

If it fucks with your head, it is high time you learn to deal with it. It will make you a better BBer.[/quote]

This.

I have a feeling its the perma-bulkers that have an issue with weighing themselves every day.

I think measuring your waist once a week is a good idea, or even use callipers on a few sites if can be bothered

Starting to now. Since this is the first time I’m getting shredded I gotta find how my body handles different cal ranges and macros.

A few people here are posting that they weigh themselves every day because it provides better data. I don’t think anyone is disputing that. That doesn’t change that weight has a way of playing mind games on people, and unless you’re a competitive bodybuilder, it’s a mind game you don’t need to be playing.

Plus, I’m guessing most people on this site are not counting calories and/or macros to be able to use the data they get from weighing themselves every day (I know I’m not). To truly be useful, you’d have to weigh yourself every day and track all of your calories and macros.

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
A few people here are posting that they weigh themselves every day because it provides better data. I don’t think anyone is disputing that. That doesn’t change that weight has a way of playing mind games on people, and unless you’re a competitive bodybuilder, it’s a mind game you don’t need to be playing.

Plus, I’m guessing most people on this site are not counting calories and/or macros to be able to use the data they get from weighing themselves every day (I know I’m not). To truly be useful, you’d have to weigh yourself every day and track all of your calories and macros. [/quote]

I would only weigh myself every day or two on a cut. When i’m trying to gain weight its normally so slow that i will only bother jumping on the scales every two or three weeks. I’d mostly go by how i look and gains in strength.

Good point. I do count cals and macros. That is why I weigh myself.

[quote]austin_bicep wrote:
Good point. I do count cals and macros. That is why I weigh myself. [/quote]

I’ve tried several times in the past using the myfitnesspal app and just do not have the patience. Too many times during the week I’m ordering out or preparing something with a bunch of ingredients, I don’t feel like adding everything up in the app, haha.

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

I’ve tried several times in the past using the myfitnesspal app and just do not have the patience. Too many times during the week I’m ordering out or preparing something with a bunch of ingredients, I don’t feel like adding everything up in the app, haha. [/quote]

I have been using myfitnesspal for a little under a year now and I cant imagine not using it. Its fairly easy to add everything, once you document your macros for a couple weeks, its easy to add foods using the frequent and recent foods added. When it comes to eating out I just take a well educated guess, because its better to have an idea of what your eating than just guessing.

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

I’ve tried several times in the past using the myfitnesspal app and just do not have the patience. Too many times during the week I’m ordering out or preparing something with a bunch of ingredients, I don’t feel like adding everything up in the app, haha. [/quote]

I use fitday, I assume it is similar.

I bought the 1.99 iPhone app which is a life saver.

Basically I eat the same stuff 90% of the time. All the extra I create as “custom foods” and add in the cals and macros so I can use it later on too.

An easier way to do it would be to write everything you used down and then in one shot at the end of the day, log on and add things in.

It depends on your goals though. If you just want to be “in-shape,” you don’t have to go nuts counting everything.