T Nation

Weighing The Whey

Weighing the Whey

Volume 1: Analysis Paralysis

I tend to believe that most of us view weight-lifting and other various fitness we engage in as healthy; both good for the body and for the mind. But ensconced somewhere in this hobby lies a darker side, a side that I often dwell in that blocks out the light of the rest of the world. It?s most easily termed obsession and over-analysis. 

Most people on the forums are familiar with me and my strange; lewd behavior. It was once even commented that I can?t drink alcohol without making a dramatic story about it. Sadly; for the most part this is true. I can?t remember the last time I ate a meal without at least thinking of the caloric intake of it; the last time I had a sip of alcohol without wondering if my interstitial cells will continue to secrete testosterone tomorrow; and that if my lutenizing hormone level rises in response to my alcohol-induced suppressive testosterone environment will I become a horny animal and give some real thought to doing whatever has two legs (And Joe dogs have 4 legs so can it). So much have I worried that I can say I?ve been in college for 3 years now and haven?t really given myself a chance to enjoy myself because I?ve been too worried about my meal-timings and my precious T-levels and body-fat percentage that I let it overcome me. I put it first in my life and because of that I didn?t make much progress because after awhile I would just crack. I would be strict for 3 weeks and then the stress would kick in and I would be gouging on donuts at 2am. This is not a formula for progression. 

But lately I?ve decided that maybe I need to stop worrying so much; maybe when I?m lifting weights I need to stop thinking about glucagon and insulin sensitivity for a moment and just lift the damn weight! Maybe when I?m outside the gym I can stop worrying about a few extra calories from a piece of gum; or even have a beer or two with a few friends? And lately I?ve tried that.

The end result? I woke up one morning after having a bit of alcohol and guess what? My penis hadn?t fallen off and I still had two testicles!. I even had a cheat meal the night before at a buffet a few days after completing the Velocity diet and I weighed myself and actually weighed a half-lb less than the day before.  So I guess that maybe we need to stop worrying so much; maybe it might even be helpful to consider some of the merits of being less stringent with everything. Maybe in the end we?ll even be able to attribute some muscular gains to our reduced cortisol levels or maybe we?ll be able to stick to something longer b/c we actually enjoy doing it. 

Overall what I?m saying is that we need not nit-pick so much. Granted the science behind what we do is sound; but we still don?t know anything for sure. Like how surprised were we all when we read Gourmet Eating and discovered that we need not cry if we ate over 10 grams of carbohydrates in a meal if it wasn?t post-workout? I still can?t even break that habit. I used to be so obsessed that I thought even stir fry broke Massive Eating guidelines! But in the end; it?s doing the best you can and doing what you can live with.

[quote]Proteinpowda wrote:
But lately I?ve decided that maybe I need to stop worrying so much; maybe when I?m lifting weights I need to stop thinking about glucagon and insulin sensitivity for a moment and just lift the damn weight! Maybe when I?m outside the gym I can stop worrying about a few extra calories from a piece of gum; or even have a beer or two with a few friends? And lately I?ve tried that.
[/quote]

Halle-freaking-lujah! You might take crap from people about this post (and it’s just because, deep down below the layers of Under Armour and muscle they love ya), but I liked this posting. Good for you, man. A little balance and enjoyment out of life is clearly what you needed and I’m just glad you recognized that (especially at your age). Believe me - you are not going to suddenly turn into a total slacker because you had a beer or two or chewed some gum (you seriously would think about the calories in your gum???). You’re concerned enough with being committed to your fitness goals that you 're probably not going to swing to the opposite extreme and eat cheese covered pork chops washed down with 6 packs of Schlitz.

Despite your kooky neuroses, you’re a good egg, dude. Now go lift some damn weight.

Kuz

• Return with honor.

What I think YOU need to stop doing is using the “royal” WE. Don’t lump myself and others into a category with you because we happen to read the same website. I’M glad YOU came to your epiphany though.

It’s about fucking time!

Thanks for the replies.

When is Joe gonna chime in on this thread. But seriously PP, good for you. I

what Kuz said.

What? No pictures?

Wow! I made Joe speechless!

Wow! I made Joe speechless![/quote]

OK, now you are just asking for abuse.

Top post

Now i might cop some flack for this but who cares.
To me nutrition and training are VERY overated.Let me explain

People are counting calories and weighing this,not eating that,pissing and moaning about some foods being to high in fat etc etc Jesus christ son unless u are a professional bodybuilder no one should be so obsessed with exact proportions of food.This is just a sure fire way to set urself up for failure or complete obsession and miss out on the fun things in life,and at what cost? to gain 1 pound of muscle or drop some tiny bit of fat,cmon get real.
Same with training,people obsess about about certain programs,following exactlly as written down to exact rest periods.Shit i rested 10 seconds to long all my hard work lost ahhhhhhhh.
Ok maybe im exageratting a little bit but what im just trying to say is,if u want to go out with ur mates DO IT! Want to have that big ass hamburger DO IT! just dont become one of those fuckers that eats that shit all the time,everything in moderation.Go to the gym ,lift how u want to lift,get ideas from this terrific website and add it to ur program.Dont obsess just live.What good is a body if u cant go out and show it off to the pretty young ladies :smiley: would u rather sit at home counting calories and fussing about what to eat next? No,well maybe some people would but they are the same people that were counting their socks in the sock draw on prom night.
Just eat clean,with the occasional snack,go to the gym lift weights,dont spend more time obbsessing over your workout than actually doing it.
Anyway that is my rant for today.

Take care

HHH

How much analysis went into last July’s 7000 cal/day junk food diet:
http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=473608

Amen, HHH.

Kuz

[quote]!vic wrote:
How much analysis went into last July’s 7000 cal/day junk food diet:
http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=473608[/quote]

Lol; none.
It was eat whatever I want; when I want.
What happened was this; I tried obeying my guidelines; became too obsessed and if I didn’t get a meal exactly right I wouldn’t eat. What that ended up leading to was me becoming ravenously hungry and voila! eating junk food (pizza, lifesavers, etc.)

Also; 5-6kcal/day is about my metabolic rate in the summer when I caddy (figure walking 15 miles a day with two golf bags strapped to you adds about an extra 2000-2500 to your metabolic demands for the day)

At your young age, you should not be obsessed with eating properly, unless you have some delusions about being a professional body builder. WTF? Lift hard and heavy and then party like there’s no tomorrow.Isn’t that why you lift - to look good for the ladies ?Worry about the nutrition thing when you get older. You’ll still look better than 90 % of the population. Besides,… alcohol will make you looked ripped the next morning…

Weighing the Whey

Overall what I?m saying is that we need not nit-pick so much. Granted the science behind what we do is sound; but we still don?t know anything for sure. Like how surprised were we all when we read Gourmet Eating and discovered that we need not cry if we ate over 10 grams of carbohydrates in a meal if it wasn?t post-workout? I still can?t even break that habit. I used to be so obsessed that I thought even stir fry broke Massive Eating guidelines! But in the end; it?s doing the best you can and doing what you can live with.

[/quote]

PP, from what I’ve seen over the last few months, you and maybe two other people on this website are the only people who obsess this much over anything. I think it’s a natural part of your “hey, look at me” personality.

I’m glad you had this epiphony. I agree with what you said. Moderation in all things. Now, let’s see if you haven’t done a complete U-turn in 4 weeks time.

Powda, I think you have come to a beneficial judgment for your life. Just don’t slip back into any diets requiring the daily consumption of a bag of Lifesavers, and I think you’ll be just fine.

~Terumo

Wow, I don’t have much to say on this other than good for you man! I hope you have a lot more fun while still achieving your goals.

Hey PP!

This is showing maturity.

I know! from you it’s hard to imagine!

Take the first step on the path to moderation. You will like it.

Yep all true.

I have a light beer a few times per week when i cut and it does not affect my cutters. If anything it speeds them up. Why? Well, because a small ammount of alcohol is actually good for you. Second, it ralxes me mentally, nothing like a cold Amstell Light in the evening. I sleep relaxed and deeply. Wake up the next day feeling great and drop some excess water while at it, to keep me looking dryer. Hey it works for me, so i don’t obsess about it.

And i don’t want to hear about it lowering my test levels. I guess when you get piss drunk then sure, but one or two beers is not gonna harm you. You gotta live and not be a slave.