T Nation

Weekly Rotation of Workouts?

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone anyone has experience with something like the following:

Week 1: 4-way split
Week 2: same layout of 4-way split but different exercises and/or rep-ranges
Week 3: same split, exercises, and rep ranges as week 1
Week 4: same split, exercises, and rep ranges as week 2
Week 5: same split, exercises, and rep ranges as week 1
Week 6: same split, exercises, and rep ranges as week 2
… and so forth.

Thanks,
nj

i keep the lifts the same unless i find something that works better… and just change tempo/reps/sets etc.

This can work but be sure you aren’t just doing it because you can’t decide on what lifts to do and have twice as many different workouts just to fit in everything you want to do. Another problem I found personally with this is when it does come down to changing your workouts its harder to find good lifts that work for you that you aren’t already doing in week 1 and 2, so you end up doing either weird stuff that doesn’t work good just to switch it up, or the same thing for 6+ months straight.

I’m trying this scheme right now because I, irrespective of what I do, have troubles progressing (reps or weight) on a weekly basis. So far following the bi-weekly rotation gives me better strength gains than the traditional approach.

I agree with the problem of exercise selection. Is that the reason why you stopped doing it? Also, how well did it work for you vs. not rotating bi-weekly?