Wednesday PT with DJ

After a lifetime in academics, I took a job as a Strength Coach and Head Track Coach at Juan Diego Catholic High School in Draper, Utah.

Go figure. Like I know anything about this stuff…

[quote]bg100 wrote:
Danny John wrote:
I attribute my fat ass to nine years of a desk job, too much booze and nearly daily luncheons. Amazingly, changing jobs, eating a small lunch and salad everyday has eliminated much of this.

Dan,

I must have missed this somehow, but what’s your new job?

Unfortunately I am mostly desk-bound myself these days rather than walking around construction sites (heaps of stairs) all the time like when I started out being an engineer, and I have subsequently found out about the struggle to maintain conditioning when being sedentary for most of the day.[/quote]

Cool, does that make you busier than beforehand?

Poor kids won’t know what will hit them… overhead squats, OLAD programs, overload squats with 10 jumps between sets, tabatas, throwing stuff, carrying stuff…

The school might turn out a few good athletes along the way as well!

Good luck with job Dan.

[quote]Danny John wrote:
After a lifetime in academics, I took a job as a Strength Coach and Head Track Coach at Juan Diego Catholic High School in Draper, Utah.

Go figure. Like I know anything about this stuff…

bg100 wrote:
Danny John wrote:
I attribute my fat ass to nine years of a desk job, too much booze and nearly daily luncheons. Amazingly, changing jobs, eating a small lunch and salad everyday has eliminated much of this.

Dan,

I must have missed this somehow, but what’s your new job?

Unfortunately I am mostly desk-bound myself these days rather than walking around construction sites (heaps of stairs) all the time like when I started out being an engineer, and I have subsequently found out about the struggle to maintain conditioning when being sedentary for most of the day.

[/quote]

Thanks, Coach! I’ll try out OLAD.

I get what you’re saying with the “can’t s”. I’m trying to make do with what I’ve got in the gym at work, but maybe it’s time to relocate.

If I remember correctly, a girl I know has an O-lifting brother… Worth a shot!

[quote]Danny John wrote:
I think…after looking it over…that OLAD might be right up your alley. I noticed you had a lot of “can’t s” in the text. You need to think some of this through…you are going to need a full quiver of ideas to accomplish any goal you set out…so, you should start looking around. Norway has a great tradition of O lifting and throwing…there has to be people locally who can help you learn some of the lifts and train in their places…

[quote]Danny John wrote:
[/quote]

Absolute best of luck in the new job, they’re lucky to have you.

Well, I’m sure you’ll pick it up as you go along. Maybe read a few articles on this site, see what happens. I hear some of the contributors really know their stuff.

Beautiful. I knew it would end up being something less-than-magical and pretty practical. Thanks for your help, Dan!

Kev

[quote]Danny John wrote:
Ready?

Power Snatch the weight.
Overhead Squat it.
Lower it to the hang. Power Snatch it.
Overhead Squat it.
Lower it to the hang. Snatch it in a deeper position. Overhead Squat it.

If you want to Squat Snatch…add this last rep:
Lower it to the floor. Squat Snatch it.

Kuz wrote:
Hi Dan!

I am trying to work more Olympic lifts into my training (snatches, clean and jerks, etc.). Do you have any tips or tricks on improving the “dipping portion” of my snatch? I can tell it is a big limiting factor for me to improve on this lift. I can tell I am using way too much arms and upper body to get it going.

Thanks in advance for your insights. Love your articles.

Kevin

[/quote]

My Dad once told me in his own way that how you raise your kids is your legacy. “So don’t screw up.” As far as I can see, you will have a great legacy not only with your kids but also all that you have offered to others. You do change lives. I know you and your family change the life of a small town kid from Vermont 20 years ago.

Had a great workout yesterday. Did strongman stuff. Tire flip-75lb DB carry for 50 yards-Thrusters (5-8)-Pushups 15-Squats holding a 125lb boulder-Ab exercise. 3 Cycles with 45s rest max between each exercise. Followed by 5-50yard sprints. (My 5 year old as the rabbit. He only beat me 4 times) Thanks coach Pain
Lonnie