Wednesday on Prime Time T-Nation

Tonight on Prime Time T-Nation (7PM to 10PM, EST), sports doctor Ryan Smith and strength coaches Chad Waterbury and Eric Cressey. Also, TV star Eddie Mekka and simulcast of gameshow host Bob Barker having pre-cancerous skin lesions removed from his back.

Wow.

“You’re gonna get it Bobby”

The Big Ragu on Primetime. Maybe he can shed some light on the Fonzi roid rage steroid scandal.

TC,
Couldn’t tell that Dave Barr was on the other day. Also, Charles Staley seems to pop on and off the “Prime Time” box. CW and CT are staying on and getting a high volume of questions but the others are perhaps not working correctly??

DH

[quote]Disc Hoss wrote:
TC,
Couldn’t tell that Dave Barr was on the other day. Also, Charles Staley seems to pop on and off the “Prime Time” box. CW and CT are staying on and getting a high volume of questions but the others are perhaps not working correctly??

DH[/quote]

Dave’s name wasn’t registered as a Prime Time celeb, but he is now.

Charles Staley hasn’t committed to any set hours, but he’s been good enough to just pop in when time allows.

hi im an olimpic weightlifter
that also compete in bodybulding and powerlifting.what is the best way to train in all 3 events regarding training splits{am pm}and how i can keep my flexbility
despite all of the isolation movments that bodybuliding needs? il be happy if you can tell me when is the best time to put the bodybulding movments without hurting the olipmic lifts?
and also when is the best time to put put in some cardio?{need to stay in 69kilo catgory} i trian at least 6-10 per week ususaly olimpic lifts in the am ours and cardio or bodybulding specific movments in pm ours.any other way to split the training methods?

[quote]amitsapir wrote:
hi im an olimpic weightlifter
that also compete in bodybulding and powerlifting.what is the best way to train in all 3 events regarding training splits{am pm}and how i can keep my flexbility
despite all of the isolation movments that bodybuliding needs? il be happy if you can tell me when is the best time to put the bodybulding movments without hurting the olipmic lifts?
and also when is the best time to put put in some cardio?{need to stay in 69kilo catgory} i trian at least 6-10 per week ususaly olimpic lifts in the am ours and cardio or bodybulding specific movments in pm ours.any other way to split the training methods?[/quote]

Oh man, what’s the best way to simultaneously train for bodybuilding, powerlifting, and Olympic lifting! Now, that’s a loaded question. There’s absolutely no way I could address every issue, but I’ll make this as simple as possible.

1. Focus your training around the Big 3 movements (squat, bench, dead): Since these are the 3 powerlifts, you should train them first in your workout with large loads (>85% of 1RM). Obviously, you can’t train >85%of 1RM continuously, therefore you must alter your volume/intensity numbers to match what best suits your ability. A good breakdown would be:

M: Squat
W: Bench
F: Deadlift

Luckily, all of these movements signficantly carry-over to aesthetics. In other words, these are great exercise choices for bodybuilders who aren’t concerned with powerlifting.

From that point, you should add in plenty of assistance work. Strive for a set/rep volume of 24-36 with >85% of 1RM for one workout; while the other workout could be a set/rep volume of 36-50 with 50-60% of 1RM (speed work).

O-lifts also have a significant carry-over to bodybuilding. You alternate between one week of powerlifts and one week of O-lifts. Here’s a sample:

Week 1
M Squat 8x3
W Bench 10x3
F Deadlift 8x3

Perform 4-5 assistance exercises with 75-90% of 1RM.

Week 2
M Snatch 8x3
W Bench 8x3
F Powercleans 8x3

Perform 4-5 assistance exercises with 80-90% of 1RM.

If you have the luxury of training 2x/day, you could perform your primary moves in the AM and your assistance exercises in the PM.

Actually, this question is so damn complicated that I’m going to end it here. If not, I’ll never get to any other questions!