Website Domain Address

I’m looking to buy/create a domain address as a Christmas present for a friend who’s an artist.

I’ve never done this and I just started looking into it.
I’m just wondering if anyone has experience with this and could offer some info on the best way to go about it.

Thanks
Phoenix

[quote]Phoenix44e wrote:
I’m looking to buy/create a domain address as a Christmas present for a friend who’s an artist.

I’ve never done this and I just started looking into it.
I’m just wondering if anyone has experience with this and could offer some info on the best way to go about it.

Thanks
Phoenix [/quote]

I haven’t bought many domain names myself, but have set them up for many clients. The last domain I purchased was from Domain.com, for personal use. I have no complaints; it’s a pretty straight forward purchase. You should purchase the domain name in your friends name; use their contact information. That way if the registrar goes away, they can still transfer the name to another registrar, for example.

A domain isn’t particularly useful without a server to point it at, though. And that’s where the “Is this actually a good gift?” question comes into play. If your friend is not technical, something like wix.com may be more appropriate. If they have an existing server, or have set up sites on hosting sites like wix.com, then go for it.

My understand was that buying a domain through the smaller domain carriers carries the risk of losing the webpage if(and what I’ve been told, most likely) when they go out of business.

Has anyone had any experience with GoDaddy? That seems like the most user friendly way to go about it.

I use GoDaddy and am looking to change.

I use their email hosting and files don’t get through if they have a long file name, which makes me look bad to my clients when I have to ask them to resend. I recently stopped using it altogether for this reason.

Fatcow has been recommended to me.

[quote]Diddy Ryder wrote:
I use GoDaddy and am looking to change.

I use their email hosting and files don’t get through if they have a long file name, which makes me look bad to my clients when I have to ask them to resend. I recently stopped using it altogether for this reason.

Fatcow has been recommended to me.

[/quote]

Good to know. Do you pay a yearly fee or did you pay all at once?

I bought the domain name for a couple of years, and the hosting for a yearly fee.

There doesn’t seem to be that much difference in price between providers.