Webinar - The Secrets of a Successful Cutting Phase

T NATION Plus Members — Get 30% Off Christian’s Favorite Biotest Supplements

Use code CTVIP

Successful Cutting Phase (2.6 MB)

Leave your comments below, and I’ll respond.

30 Likes

Thanks for sharing all of this info! Really enjoyed the webinar and hope this becomes a regular thing.

3 Likes

That’s the plan! If there is a good response, I’ll likely do one per month. In the meantime you can browse the “Thib talks training” where I posted more than 20 videos on various training topics.

16 Likes

Hi CT, I am the one who asked the question about the beta blockers, clen and T3 combination for fat loss. I asked that because Lyle McDonald wrote in one of his books that beta blockers combined with stimulants would increase fat loss, old beta blockers alone, on the other hand, lead to weight gain. (This doesn’t happen with the third generation of beta blockers)

-A peptide called atrial natriuretic peptide (ANP) is released by the heart.

-Beta blockers estimulate the release of ANP and ANP helps with fat mobilization.

“[…]Oral beta-adrenergic receptor blockade, which potentiates exercise-induced ANP release by the heart, may contribute to lipid mobilization in SCAT[…].”
Moro C, Crampes F, Sengenes C, De Glisezinski I, Galitzky J, Thalamas C, Lafontan M, Berlan M. Atrial natriuretic peptide contributes to physiological control of lipid mobilization in humans. FASEB J. 2004 May;18

So, in theory you could speed up fat loss because more fat would be mobilized, the thing is, not everything that makes sense in theory can be translated to real world results, and I find it quite strange that I never heard anyone else talking about this.

1 Like

When I walk on the treadmill just at 3 miles an hour I usually do 115 steps 60 to 80 step seems like you’re going maybe 2 miles an hour? Also 10 minutes usually yields me about 1150 steps.

@Christian_Thibaudeau
What do you think of the flood of weight loss drugs flooding the market?

Looks like l there is some new branding for the Biotest supps. (Clicked on the 30% off link)

That’s interesting. Haven’t heard about that either and I don’t think that many people in the training world have either. Credit goes to Lyle whom, even though we have our personal differences, is always impressive when it comes to research stuff.

Yes, that’s even better. I’ll confess that I’m an extremely slow walker (so I used what felt like my normal walking speed on the treadmill)… Heck when my wife and I go take a walk, I always told her to stop sprinting lol

But that just makes the concept even better

2 Likes

I’m assuming you are talking about semaglutide and other similar products.

I personally don’t like its mechanism for hard training people. By killing your appetite you are eating a lot less. Which is fine for obese individuals who are chronic overeaters and more often overeat crappy food.

But as hard training individuals, I’m not sure that I want to use something that kills my appetite and that may make it harder to get in the protein I need and could lead to insufficient food intake to support growth.

The one time I could see it as being useful is at the tail end of a context/photoshoot prep where calories are already low and when you start to have huge cravings. But other than that, I don’t like it.

Furthermore, I remember reading something about when you stop there is a reduction in fat mobilization meaning to a bigger rebound. Don’t quote me on that as I don’t remember the source of it.

But generally speaking, I don’t like to use a drug for something that only requires discipline, motivation and resiliency.

I understand the need for drugs to fix specific physiological problems (e.g. low thyroid, diabetes, high blood pressure, etc.) but I don’t like the use of drugs for something that is achievable simply by being better.

I also find it ironic that drugs that make you build more muscle (steroids) are demonized whereas semaglutide, which does the same thing as steroids but for fat loss, is all the rage and widely accepted by the general population.

11 Likes

no, opposite. Beta 2 agonist, not beta blocker.

Ancient history. Dan Duchaine proposed this way back in 1996 in Bodyopus. Lyle expanded on it. Key word above would be training as anyone who has been paying attention on the pharma side understands this pretty well.

EDIT: misunderstood and misread original post above. My fault.

1 Like

Good point. Will be a huge mistake I predict. Semaglutide is not a free lunch. so to speak.

1 Like

I am sorry if I wasn’t clear, I didn’t say that clen is a beta blocker, I said:

As a addition, a beta blocker, clen and T3, three different things together.

I think you are mistaken, if you read carefully what I wrote you can see that I am not talking about the direct influence of Alpha and Beta receptors in fat loss (Which is what Dan Duchaine wrote in “Bodyopus”). What I said is that while using beta blockers the heart secretes a peptide called ANP, which is shown to affect fat mobilization and could possible improve fat loss.

2 Likes

100% accurate

Gotcha. Thanks for clarifying. My bad.

Reddit - Dive into anything, you would need to be devoted to go that route. I have learned the hard way to minimize risking the heart as part of fat loss protocols.

1 Like

No problem, and thanks for the link, too bad that the guy started a new thread with the actual results but only used it for two weeks, too short to draw a conclusion.

1 Like

Hi Coach how does merformin affects insulin sensitivity, fatloss or weight lifting in general. I am 46 years and only started lifting regularly 2 years ago. My doctor advised metformin last year for border line diabetes. I had a successful fatloss phase at the start of my training 2 years ago. Then i went on cutting and bulking twice already and is beginning to see my body recomposing gradually. I train regularly and is watching my diet.

Ok, first I will say that metformin has one of the best safety profile among prescription drugs. It is also effective and has been used for an extremely long time. Yet, as much as I’m aware, it’s exact mechanism of action is not known.

However it is effective in dealing with pre-diabetic and even diabetic states. It does improve insulin sensitivity, improving the body’s storage of glucose and thus reducing the need for a large insulin production.

It seems to favor intramuscular glucose storage, but more importantly, reduces storage of glucose as fat.

And since it reduces insulin production, it could potentially speed up metabolic rate (high insulin slows down metabolic rate). Elevated insulin also reduces fat mobilization, so keep it low would help there too.

2 Likes

Thank you for the reply Coach… this is very helpful in understanding how this medications affect my body.

1 Like