T Nation

Wearing Tank Tops to the Gym

Do you guys wear tank tops or cut off tees to the gym?
For some reason I always feel weird about wearing them. I hear woman say they don’t like it when guys wear them. “They are full of themselves”. I mean sometimes you like to see what going on when you are pumped up.

I need all the fabric I got to sop up all the sweat.

Only frat boys and true behemoths stare in the gym floor mirror. Just wait until you get into the changing room, big guy.

A lot of my girl friends say they like the cut off t-shirts.
I personally wear them cause I like to see the pump and because I don’t have huge pit stains when I’m sweating a ton.

id rather use a cutoff or a wifebeater, i had to use a regular shirt yesterday cause i was out all day and didnt have time to go home and grab my logbook and change. i just feel like theres less restriction

[quote]softail wrote:
Do you guys wear tank tops or cut off tees to the gym?
For some reason I always feel weird about wearing them. I hear woman say they don’t like it when guys wear them. “They are full of themselves”. I mean sometimes you like to see what going on when you are pumped up.
[/quote]

First, you hang around some women with low self esteem. Second, if you have the muscle, why would you hide it when training and sweating? I mean, even if you didn’t have much muscle, why would wearing one be an issue for you?

The same woman who would make a claim that a man is “full of himself” for simply wearing a shirt that exposes his arms is likely the same type of woman who never wants to have sex with the lights on.

I never wear 'em in public. I used to when I THOUGHT I had a build back in my teens. lol

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
I never wear 'em in public. I used to when I THOUGHT I had a build back in my teens. lol[/quote]

I wear them less when out in public mostly because of the negative stigma attached to big muscles lately. Once you hit a certain size, however, it really doesn’t matter. It isn’t like you can hide it if your arms are actually big enough no matter what you wear.

I can wear a long sleeved button up shirt with a tie and the first comment I will get is about weight lifting.

wow I never would’ve thought wearing a tank top at a gym would be a discussion on here.

There are people who wear mullets and american flag rambo bandana’s to the gym, I don’t think a tank top is a problem.

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
wow I never would’ve thought wearing a tank top at a gym would be a discussion on here.

There are people who wear mullets and american flag rambo bandana’s to the gym, I don’t think a tank top is a problem.[/quote]

Realize that we now have to deal with the general fitness crowd as well. I am sure they put together “outfits” to go lift.

I wear a tank top because I want to see what my muscles look like when lifting. It also keeps me cool considering how much I sweat. I would imagine most are the same way if they give a shit at all.

Hey. I wear a tank top too.

The only time I noticed what a man was wearing was last Wednesday when a group of three guys came in wearing capris (or the male equivalent) One guy had on some odd mesh button up shirt and a white belt on the pants and leather flip flop shoes.

Weird.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
I wear a tank top because I want to see what my muscles look like when lifting. It also keeps me cool considering how much I sweat.[/quote]

Exactly. I’m fairly sure those same women who complained about the self-absorbed tanktop wearer would be equally turned off to sweaty guy with huge pit stains and a shirt so wet it clings to you. Of course… most of those frat boy tank top wearers probably don’t workout hard enough to sweat.

Bottomline- who gives a shit? Wear what you want and tell everyone else to fuck off. If I wanted to wear a pink tutu to the gym dammit I’m going to wear a pink tutu. Wait what are we talking about?

As long as they aren’t too skinny or too fat, who cares what someone else wears to the gym?

Unless, of course, it is a pink tutu. Or a mesh top, capris and flip flops.

That’s just weird.

I think ee76 has hit the nail on the head. Who the fuck cares?! Now I have seen my fair share of toolboxes who have no business taking me to their “gun show.” Another one of my favs is the wife beater and prodigious gut combo. “Yeah but my arms are HEEEEEE_UGE!”

For the record I am a big fan of 2 T-shirts. Seems to make clean up easier. I’m a sweat-er.

[quote]Christine wrote:
As long as they aren’t too skinny or too fat, who cares what someone else wears to the gym?

That’s just weird.[/quote]

It was the white belt that did me in. Very Herb Tarlic.

There was a guy at The Gold’s I trained at in Florida that would wear super tight Under Armour shirts over his 50" gut. I swear, they must make that spandex out of teflon.

In cases like that, I can see concern for what someone wears. Someone could lose an eye if that shirt ever burst open.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
It also keeps me cool considering how much I sweat. I would imagine most are the same way if they give a shit at all.[/quote]

Correct-o

Who cares what people wear, or even more, what people think?

If you like how they feel/look, go for it. Just avoid the fishnet ones, that’s no good.

I take that back. I decided I do care.

All the men with actual muscle to show (not imaginary muscle like most of the dudes who post on RMP) should be required to wear as little as possible.

Big muscles are icky.

[quote]Christine wrote:

That’s just weird.[/quote]

Hey don’t knock it until you try it. It’s very liberating.

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:
Christine wrote:

That’s just weird.

Hey don’t knock it until you try it. It’s very liberating.[/quote]

Well, you can wear the pink tutu, but skip the leotard and tights.