Wear Weight Vest All Day Long

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]tsantos wrote:
Do you hike for most of the day most days of the year?[/quote]

Let’s say someone did such a thing. Would that be unhealthy for one’s heart? All that stress on the heart?[/quote]

I don’t think we have the knowledge to come to that conclusion. The populations which have elevated heart rates/blood pressure and lower life expectancy tend to have other issues.

Overtime, his heart rate and blood pressure could adapt to be fairly normal?

I’d say OP is taking an unknown risk.

Sorry if I’m missing this, but OP, you’re doing this at your job? And people aren’t taking notice of you standing around with a 40lb weighted vest?

Manual labor causes an elevated heart rate for 8-10 hours a day for 6 days a week, and does not seem to hurt anyone.

[quote]MinusTheColon wrote:
Sorry if I’m missing this, but OP, you’re doing this at your job? And people aren’t taking notice of you standing around with a 40lb weighted vest?[/quote]

yes - yes they are. One of my directs actually stopped me at the door as I was heading to a supervisor meeting and said “with all due respect, you look like a bomb threat. May I suggest taking off the vest before going out for coffee.” I smiled and took off the vest.

Im going to do some baseline readings for a day or two on my BP before doing them with my vest on. I have a history of High Blood pressure and its been a while since I have taken any readings. Ill try and remember to report my readings on Friday.

I would think the extra low intensity exercise would be good for the heart. Isn’t that what exercise does?

[quote]Yogi wrote:
I would think the extra low intensity exercise would be good for the heart. Isn’t that what exercise does?[/quote]

Kinda what I was thinking.

[quote]koffea wrote:

[quote]MinusTheColon wrote:
Sorry if I’m missing this, but OP, you’re doing this at your job? And people aren’t taking notice of you standing around with a 40lb weighted vest?[/quote]

yes - yes they are. One of my directs actually stopped me at the door as I was heading to a supervisor meeting and said “with all due respect, you look like a bomb threat. May I suggest taking off the vest before going out for coffee.” I smiled and took off the vest.

Im going to do some baseline readings for a day or two on my BP before doing them with my vest on. I have a history of High Blood pressure and its been a while since I have taken any readings. Ill try and remember to report my readings on Friday.[/quote]

Awesome. We are going to get some data.

Well unfortunately my BP cuff is fritzing out. I thought it was the batteries, but no it is the machine. I got some crazy readings when I was doing my baselines (like 278/158) that really put me in a panic. So I went and got my BP done at a clinic at it was within normal limits but a bit on the high side. Ill have to save up for a new cuff, but I will report back when I get it (may take a month or two). In the meantime, I think I am going to resume my BP meds.