Wear a Belt?

Here’s what you need:

The Belt Tightener:
“This device is made of solid steel and comes with a chrome finish. Just hook the fastener in the hole on your belt and grab the T ended handle and lightly pull. You’ll never get your belt tighter! You can also use it to get your belt off easier. Also works with two prong belt.”

I hope you are not advocating the use of a weight belt continuiously?! Research is showing that the over-use of a belt can/will severely weaken the stabalizing core muscles that make up the body’s “built-in belt”. And, if you need a device to tighted your belt you can be seriously injured from a variety of factors. Namely, by super-elevating interthoradic pressure can cause disc herniation.

Using a belt for extremely heavy sets and/or ballistic reps could be advantageous when working at 90+% of your 1RM. But, the warm-up sets and ancillary work should be done belt-free. Belt use could even be encouraged during max attempts at a pure compression movement, such as the back squat, front squat, and the jerk. Olympic movements besides the jerk and deadlifts are not pure compression and should be done beltless. Search this site if you want to research this topic - there have been some great articles/posts.

TopSirloin

I am not the uber-Advocate.

However, I do suggest the use of Nose Tork:

“Long lasting Nose Tork comes in a plastic bottle that can be used over and over. Very strong vapors do the trick. Wham!”

Why would you want your belt wicked wicked tight?

You don’t. He is mocking competitive powerlifters again.

Clever…

Through whom … ?

[quote]Alexandar wrote:
You don’t. He is mocking competitive powerlifters again. [/quote]

and what would be the point of doing that?

Cause he is jealous.

Stop whining!

[quote]Limbic wrote:
Stop whining![/quote]

LMAO, this is quite possibly one of the most ironic statements I’ve ever read. You should consider taking your own advice.

Stop whining! Stop it!

If you have no desire to powerlift that is your choice. However, to bag on powerlifters is unneccessary.

Stawp!

That’s not a belt tightener, I think its some kind of wierd prostate stimulator. I saw Muscleteen walking around with one of those.

[quote]Limbic wrote:
Here’s what you need:

The Belt Tightener:
“This device is made of solid steel and comes with a chrome finish. Just hook the fastener in the hole on your belt and grab the T ended handle and lightly pull. You’ll never get your belt tighter! You can also use it to get your belt off easier. Also works with two prong belt.”[/quote]

See!

mert:

Seriously now, all that inspired me to start this thread was the contrast between what is common knowledge on this site regarding belt usage and some company trying to sell me something to tighten a belt past the point where you could probably even breathe.
If hand-tight ain’t tight enough you probably need more than a belt.

I prescribe “Nose Tork” all-around to blow them pipes out! Wham!

Personally, I think that a lifting belt (combined with squats) is probably the best tool to increase abdominal strength. You should be able to slide both open hands between the belt and abdomen when relaxed, but when set up for a squat, it becomes tight. I’m not really for the “expand your abs out maximally against the belt” school of thought, but follow more of Ed Coan’s recommendation to flew the abs hard with a little expansion. Sometimes, I will just tie a small rope loose around the abdomen or wrap a bungie cord around just to remind me to flex the abs hard.