Wealth Inequality in America

Well stated. This goes to my point that, as much as we like to flatter ourselves to the contrary, very few of us have the wherewithal needed to bootstrap ourselves out of intergenerational poverty and into the so-called upper classes.

Put another way: Whenever I see some decrepit poor soul (and I see a lot of them, living where I do), I try to remember to remind myself that ‘There, but for the grace of God, go I.’

2 Likes

Have you noticed that you’ve never seen the two of us in the same pic? Makes ya think…

:clap::clap::clap:
Astounding post. Women are myopic and just want to be taken care of, noted.

2 Likes

A wealth tax is one option that should be given serious consideration.

And I would remind people who reflexively find such suggestions radical and abhorrent: This is not about ‘fairness’ or ‘social justice.’ It’s about redistributing wealth in a way that allows economies to function and grow more effectively. In other words, there is considerable evidence that such a policy would be in everyone’s interest–including those who are very, very wealthy.

3 Likes

Financial comfort is definitely a huge reason women want to get married. This is now controversial to say?

I’m sure that your girlfriend is gold-diggin’ (there is no other rational explanation for a woman that can tolerate you for more than five minutes), but believe it or not, some women out there can take care of themselves and get married for reasons other than “my husband will reduce my reliance on taxpayer funded services.”

5 Likes

(can’t figure out how to quote on my phone)

Statistically RichKid has a lower likelihood of negative side effects of commiting a crime, of NEEDING debt to get a degree, etc etc.

Statistically PoorKid will spend more time in jail for a crime, will need more debt to get a degree, etc. I’m not saying this is a fixable problem (as I believe it’s a byproduct of human nature) but we should at least acknowledge the problem exists.

Additionally, I would argue that things like affirmative action, scholarships for inner city kids, etc are societies way of trying to balance the inherent advantage of the upper echelon.

I usually ask it this way. I know this is an extreme example (but that’s half the point) but do you think Steve Jobs kids ever had a snowball’s chance in hell at not remaining in the upper echelon of society? How about a Kennedy? Or a Trump? Or an Obama?

1 Like

And it allows them to work fewer hours and spend more time with their children.

If you are with a woman who will have the fruit of your loins in daycare 6 weeks after child birth I genuinely feel sorry for you.

Financial comfort is a huge reason BOTH genders marry. You have a higher chance of “making it” in life because 2 people end up with 2 people’s incomes (duh) but rarely have double the expenses.

2 Likes

I acknowledge this exists, yes.

I don’t agree with ‘balance’. I would say it’s the government and organization’s intent to incentivize those who have financial need, and provide direct financial assistance.

Not something I think about or care. I think everyone’s inherent desire is to provide for their children in every way, removing struggle. Is it fair that it happened this way, no. But again, my happiness isn’t determined by other’s winning the lottery.

The only time I pay attention is If one of them chooses to take a break from their opulent lifestyle to do good for the world.

This is true, but more true for women since many want to spend time raising their children and less time at the office. This is not a preference for men.

An argument could easily be made that as the average success of your peers increases, you have to work harder to stay above average. Not directly of course, but to some extent their gain IS your loss.

Prices shift and stabilize based on supply and demand, supply and demand is driven by the market, the market is driven by the successes and failures of its members.

Agreed (this isn’t a matter of debate, it’s statistically evolutionary that women on average are drawn more to their children. It’s nobody’s fault).

But this shouldn’t be blanketly applied to all women, especially considering society is seeing a monumental shift AWAY from this very premise.

This is another large impact of society. Women are treated as lesser to such an extent that they’re fighting their basic evolutionary/biological urges to “stay home with the kids”

1 Like

You’re telling me! I’m the product of a drug addict and an alcoholic that were both dead by the time I hit my early 20’s- who learned how to sell dime bags with my paper rout money so that I could feed myself (at 10 years old).

I had to bounce off of bottom pretty damn hard to come to the thinking he laid out, and my life is quite literally an entirely different story than the pathetic end that it was quickly coming to.

Given that, I know what is probable, possible, and not likely. I know that I fall into the category of not likely. I use that same saying as Eye Dentist on a regular basis.

6 Likes

And ultimately this is the point. In that scenario you may or may not have been 1 wrong move away from another prison statistic.

Is it POSSIBLE you were actually 10 wrong moves away and good old RichKid was actually 1 move away? Sure

Is it probable? No.

1 Like

@EyeDentist

Ok good so after the wealth tax takes place, what does government do with the funds to help the poor? My guess is UBI would make the most sense. And friedman liked UBI so you might get buy in. But I want the left’s answer to this question.

Also how does wealth tax work with real estate? How does a rancher hand over 5% of his land?

The conversation is rapidly surpassing my paygrade, but in my (woefully inadequately-informed) opinion, a UBI is probably the way to go.

I have no idea how to address wealth tied up in fixed assets.

1 Like

One of the things that confuses me with UBI is that it’s always sold as a replacement for all other direct cash payment safety net programs. Every citizen gets $45,000 or some such. Supposedly it’s way cheaper to administer because fraud is way easier to spot, it’s binary: “Are they a citizen?” Yes = money. No = no money.

Now the problem. What happens when people are dumb with their UBI and spend it on Heroin while their kids starve. Do we let them starve? Or do we go back to soup kitchens and government cheese? Then that’s another program to pay for.

When all people get UBI do they bid prices up? They are doing experiments around the world. My opinion this is the most just for of marxism. When every citizen gets the same payment at least it’s “equal protection under the law”.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2017/01/02/finlands-basic-income-experiment-starts-really-its-testing-the-laffer-curve-for-poor-people/?client=ms-android-verizon

Also, I haven’t even thought of all the ways to dodge a wealth tax. Is it annual? You think offshore accounts are ugly now. You’d have to outlaw owning gold again.

Fun thought experiment.
@EyeDentist

Here’s an article claiming it can be paid for now. I am not saying I agree with the author’s conclusion though. And it’s closer to $1k/mo for adults.

(Slowly exhales)
I actually agree with Raj here. Women get married for dozens of reasons and financial comfort is absolutely one of them. That doesn’t mean it’s the ONLY reason and they are just straight gold digging. Not sure why that is a controversial statement, unless he is implying that most marry for only that reason but I don’t think he was. Women, by nature, want to be taken care of in some form or another. You guys are tough on Raj, ha.

For what it’s worth Raj, I tend to appreciate SOME of your not so popular/controversial views,(not that this is one.)

1 Like