Weak Tendons

so…my muslce strength greatly overpowers my tendon strength (not that i’m super strong…just…i have weak-ass tendons)…does anybody know of good methos to strengthen my tendons…especially around my elbow+my forearms?..(p.s…i know the pain ISN’T overtraining…as…it is CONSTANT…even when i took a couple months off… shortly after i came back…the pain was there)…the pain is chronic…the forearm pain…is annoying…but not that rough…but…the inside of my elbow…sometimes is unbearable… i’ll be benching…and…as im’ lowering the bar… the pain will just suddenly hit…and it’s severe enough that i generallly dropp the bar…which…kinda hurts, lol…so yeah…any help would be awesome, thanks

Eccentric based lifting has been shown to improve tendon strength and as well as help aid in treatment of tendinosis.

Run a search in medline for eccentric and tendon. If you can’t find anything, I’ll post a few studies, but the results are pretty promising.

Ok, I’ll bite… how do you know you have weak tendons? Have you had a proper diagnosis of your symptoms?

i suppose i don’t know FOR SURE… but… i’ve had (diagnosed) tendonitis in both knees, and both elbows… and… my tendons… in places like my forearms… hurt…so yeah…as for eccentric exerccises on medline, thanks i’ll search for that

There is an article on here as well from years back about using super max eccentrics for tendonitis etc.

Phill

The cause of your pain may be rooted in your overuse of ellipses. Cut them and try the light-weight, high rep eccentric band extensions mentioned above. Also the standard joint/ct health supplements won’t hurt.

[quote]Phill wrote:
There is an article on here as well from years back about using super max eccentrics for tendonitis etc.

Phill
[/quote]

I believe Eric Cressey wrote it, maybe Robertson. But I don’t remember them being super max, I think they were for sets of like 8-12, which would be ridiculous with 100+% weights. Could be wrong though.

You could have some adhesions or scar tissue in the tendons. Even with time off, they do not heal on their own. Stretching and friction massage can help, but not always. If the adhesions are severe enough, you will only stretch the fibers that are not adhesed.

After developing some pretty severe tendon pain in my shoulders and elbows, I tried all of the usual steps. Rest, Ice, anti-inflams, stretching. But the pain was really holding me back.

I’m not one for voo-doo treatments, and I need to know the science behind what I’m doing. A friend recommended Active Release Treatments. After my 3rd treatment, pain is almost negligible in my shoulders and 50% better in my elbows.

The basic premise is that the practitioner is trying to free up scarred/adhesed muscle fibers so the fibers slide independently of one another. When they are scarred or adhesed, they cause pain because they are unable to contract or relax in a normal manner.

If resting for a couple of months didn’t help, it may be worth looking into.

[quote]Aragorn wrote:
Phill wrote:

Phill

I believe Eric Cressey wrote it, maybe Robertson. But I don’t remember them being super max, I think they were for sets of like 8-12, which would be ridiculous with 100+% weights. Could be wrong though.[/quote]

The one in talking about I think is pre Mike and Eric and used very heavy DB negatives etc. You do NO kind of positive and just slow negavtives.

I will say have been having trouble of late sop yesterday did holds and eccentrics for chins and damn elbow feels great.

If I get a sec ill try and find it.

Phill

I think Fred Hatfield might have written about this in one of his old books…heavy lifting over time, ballistic “jerking” of barbells repeatedly, things like that if I remember correctly…

If you have tendonitis, it might be from other issues other than just having “weak” tendons

[quote]bluecollarjock wrote:
I think Fred Hatfield might have written about this in one of his old books…heavy lifting over time, ballistic “jerking” of barbells repeatedly, things like that if I remember correctly…

If you have tendonitis, it might be from other issues other than just having “weak” tendons[/quote]

For sure the jerking, over use etc.

good call bcj

I had elbow tendonitus for almost 2 years. What helped me was warming up with high rep band pushdowns and adding bicep work back in.