Weak Point Training

hi guys,

for my next muscle gain cycle I want to concentrate on my weak points ( arms, upper chest , traps and calves ). Reason being is that I have very long arms which make them appear pretty damn small ( i am 6’2 and ectomorph ). Chest always has been a weak point because I never really understood to hit it properly until recently.

My idea was to train the weak points 2x a week, and the other stuff just once. Is this a good approach ? And how could i incorperate this into a routine ?

thanks in advance

[quote]rewind wrote:
hi guys,

for my next muscle gain cycle I want to concentrate on my weak points ( arms, upper chest , traps and calves ). Reason being is that I have very long arms which make them appear pretty damn small ( i am 6’2 and ectomorph ). Chest always has been a weak point because I never really understood to hit it properly until recently.

My idea was to train the weak points 2x a week, and the other stuff just once. Is this a good approach ? And how could i incorperate this into a routine ?

thanks in advance[/quote]

chest/shoulders/triceps
calves/back (with rack pull from knee high preferrably with snatch grip)
shoulders/arms (pump/lower weight)
OFF
chest/back/biceps (pump/lower weight)
calves/hams/quads
OFF

for “upper” chest (lol) do dips and the dip machine if your gym has one

for traps do rack pulls, shrugs with 3 second holds, upper back good mornings with Safety squat bar if your gym has one

for calves, do standing calf raises in the smith, 10 reps until u can’t get 10 and then a set of 100

sounds like u just need more overall size before you actually tackle your “weak points”, how much do you weigh?

216 at the moment. yes you are right, i need more overall size. However I really need to work on those arms. They look thin especially from the front. Its genetics, I know. But its nothing you cant work on.I’ll post a pic later so you can see what I mean.

What are peoples thoughts when one side is a weak point compared to the opposite?

Focus on getting the weaker side to catch up and then progress over all or what?

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:
What are peoples thoughts when one side is a weak point compared to the opposite?

Focus on getting the weaker side to catch up and then progress over all or what?[/quote]

care to elaborate?

my first thought would be doing only unilateral lifts for a while

[quote]Mr. Walkway wrote:

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:

Focus on getting the weaker side to catch up and then progress over all or what?[/quote]

care to elaborate?

my first thought would be doing only unilateral lifts for a while[/quote]

My left pec is bigger than my right, noticed it more and more the leaner I get.

Been adding single arm decline benching to try and get it to catch up, the weights I use for dbell benching are light because i only go to failure on the right pec rather than left cause it can go for waaay more.

I’ve always struggled with imbalances because of playing tennis for so long, right side had a huge forearm and delt whilst everything else was tiny.

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:

care to elaborate?

Been adding single arm decline benching to try and get it to catch up, the weights I use for dbell benching are light because i only go to failure on the right pec rather than left cause it can go for waaay more.

I’ve always struggled with imbalances because of playing tennis for so long, right side had a huge forearm and delt whilst everything else was tiny.[/quote]

You sure it is actually bigger or just shaped differently?

[quote]Waittz wrote:

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:

care to elaborate?

I’ve always struggled with imbalances because of playing tennis for so long, right side had a huge forearm and delt whilst everything else was tiny.[/quote]

You sure it is actually bigger or just shaped differently? [/quote]

Little bit of both tbh, will fire a pic up when I get a chance!

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:

[quote]Waittz wrote:

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:

care to elaborate?

[/quote]

If you check my hub pic youll see we are in the same boat. My right pec stops almost 1-2 inches bellow the left, always makes me look like i am leaning or on a tilt. The crocked abs dont help either, but what did help was just putting on more size. Once your chest gets big enough, people just think you have a big chest, not ‘hey one looks different than the other’.

[quote]Waittz wrote:

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:

[quote]Waittz wrote:

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:

care to elaborate?

[/quote]

If you check my hub pic youll see we are in the same boat. My right pec stops almost 1-2 inches bellow the left, always makes me look like i am leaning or on a tilt. The crocked abs dont help either, but what did help was just putting on more size. Once your chest gets big enough, people just think you have a big chest, not ‘hey one looks different than the other’.
[/quote]

Yeah I see what you mean with yours.

With mine i basically never seemed to have any lower to inner pec on the right, single arm decline has began to fill it in slighty but you can still see what it looks like.

Actually makes it look like I have gyno on the right pec but if anything from a touch test I probs have it on the left.

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:

[quote]Waittz wrote:

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:

[quote]Waittz wrote:

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:

care to elaborate?

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yeah I see what you mean with yours.

With mine i basically never seemed to have any lower to inner pec on the right, single arm decline has began to fill it in slighty but you can still see what it looks like.

Actually makes it look like I have gyno on the right pec but if anything from a touch test I probs have it on the left.

[/quote]

To be honest, even with you telling me this I still cant see any difference. You see it the most so it probly looks worse to you than anyone else. Same thing with my issue. People tend not to notice, in fact only one time in my life has someone ever brought it to my attention.

I would tell you to just keep working on putting on overall size. bigger it gets, less anyone, including yourself will notice.

looks like an insertion issue, which of course is purely genetic…

my prescription? more overall mass… don’t worry too much about how things are shaped until you actually have a big chest

looks like an insertion issue, which of course is purely genetic…

my prescription? more overall mass… don’t worry too much about how things are shaped until you actually have a big chest[/quote]

That’s the thing though, it was horrendous before I started acknowledging it.

Here is what it looks like with the pecs flexed, I’m just overly worried about it right now since i’m prepping for a comp.

Also, thank you to both of you for taking the time to reply btw :slight_smile:

i my chest actually had a very similar appearance… it “corrected” itself as i put mass on it, and now both my pecs look virtually identical…

i would strongly suggest only using dumbbells/chest machines with independent arms for a while/forever

i my chest actually had a very similar appearance… it “corrected” itself as i put mass on it, and now both my pecs look virtually identical…

i would strongly suggest only using dumbbells/chest machines with independent arms for a while/forever[/quote]

Yeah man, what do you do weight wise though?

Since i can use a lot less weight on dumbbells on the right pec than the right.

Do you do the lesser weight and just really focus on the weaker muscle catching up?

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:

i would strongly suggest only using dumbbells/chest machines with independent arms for a while/forever[/quote]

Do you do the lesser weight and just really focus on the weaker muscle catching up?[/quote]

there was never a strength discrepancy between pecs in my experience. I would always recommend using the same weight for both sides, whatever your weakest link allows.

did you do a lot of barbell benching when you began training?

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:

Do you do the lesser weight and just really focus on the weaker muscle catching up?[/quote]

On dumbell pressing, when the weak arm fails, the lift is over. How dramatic is the strength imbalance?

Also Walkway’s advice is on point.

Yeah I used to basically only ever use barbell, but would really focus on the right pec but to no avail.

Strength wise I can do as little as 20k’s (roughly about 45lbs) and destroy the right pec and feel nothing on the left.

My right shoulder used to be stupidly over developed which obviously caused it to take the brunt of stimulation on the flat barbell bench.

Thanks for the help guys, will just have to keep pounding out the dbell benching, be patient and just grow overall

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:
Yeah I used to basically only ever use barbell, but would really focus on the right pec but to no avail.

Strength wise I can do as little as 20k’s (roughly about 45lbs) and destroy the right pec and feel nothing on the left.

My right shoulder used to be stupidly over developed which obviously caused it to take the brunt of stimulation on the flat barbell bench.

Thanks for the help guys, will just have to keep pounding out the dbell benching, be patient and just grow overall[/quote]

give dumbbell floor press a shot, you might want to consider pre-fatiguing ur pecs with cable press too